Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power steering noise...

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by kevin2013, Feb 25, 2017.

1. kevin2013

kevin2013 Member

Have a 2013 journey p/s pump went out. Replaced rack and p/s pump. Pump started whining cleaned the resovior. Started whine again. Suggestions? Thanks

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Any air bubbles or foam in the fluid? It sometimes gets stirred into the fluid and takes 2 or 3 days to dissipate.
    If the Journey is anything like the minivans, I have never had luck 'cleaning' the reservoir and have had to replace them. A restriction in the reservoir screen will be noisy.

3. paullybob

paullybob Well-Known Member

Agree with ImperialCrown, try and work out any air bubbles which may be trapped in the P/S hoses. It may take a few days of normal driving to try and get this done. What I'd suggest is to get the front wheels in the air and rotate the steering wheel from left to right repeatedly for a few minutes trying to aviod hitting the ends of steering wheel travel. That should help greatly and hopefully eliminate the issue totally.

4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

I would suggest using a hammer and lightly tap on the power steering rack body and the control valve area where the hoses attach. If there are air bubbles in the fluid, a light jarring motion should help dislodge and purge the air through the system.

I read about this light hammering technique as it was used when bench bleeding a brake master cylinder. Light tapping helps dislodge air bubbles.