AF: power steering swap coronet | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

power steering swap coronet

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by jormymex, Jul 31, 2020.

1. jormymex

jormymex New Member

Hi again. I rescued a 1970 coronet a couple of months ago, the car was in a very poor condition, it´s a slant six but I will swap a 318 changing the K member for a v8 of course. Well the problem is this: The car comes with power steering , but by now I don´t really know it´s a factory equipped PS. The column is not straight and I see that the left shock tower was cut slightly to make space for the power steering box to enter. I think that someone put a 1973 or later steering box in that car, I don´t know if it could work or I need to buy a pre1972 power steering box (cost 100-200 more bucks than 1973 later ones). What do you think? maybe is only a bad swap?

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

According to Rockauto, the steeering box is the same for 1965 to 1976, if it came out of the Coronet. Look up Rockauto and see if the pictures are the same as what you have for starters.

jormymex likes this.
  3. jormymex

jormymex New Member

Thank you so much, I was researching and the change is the pitman arm in post73 only, and I supposed the last owner did it a very bad swapping.

4. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

If your Coronet has a 1973+ PS gear and, the Pitman arm fits properly, I'd leave it alone. Especially being many 1972 down steering box parts are getting tougher to find.