AF: Powertrain novelties for calendar 2021 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powertrain novelties for calendar 2021

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by T_690, May 19, 2020.

1. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

For some time now we know that in late 2020 or early 2021 FCA will start production of a 1.5 liter GSE/FireFly engine in Termoli, Italy.

Now I can say that it should be a 1.5 liter turbocharged Inline 4 engine but it seems it's a DOHC. Can they offer MultiAir and DOHC together?

The other novelty should be new hybrid transaxle for FWD based FCA cars, Getrag 7HDT300. It's a wet clutch DCT with an integrated electric motor capable for up to 320 Nm (236 lb ft) of torque which will be used in a P2 mild hybrid setup.
    Electric motor power depends on a recuperation potential but could be as high as 25 kW (34 metric HP). It has e-creep function and could be used in an electric only mode for speeds up to 30 km/h if not more.

So far only BMW has confirmed contract in place for the hybrid transmission Gettag 7HDT300.
    BMW, Daimler and Renault are for some years now using non hybrid variant 7DCT300.

This powertrain options should be in cars on sale by 2021 but it depends on COVID19 situation. They will be offered in EMEA region but I'm not sure about NAFTA.

tlc, jimboy, AlfaCuda and 4 others like this.
  2. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Will they ever make a 4 cylinder with half way decent NVH ?

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

For NAFTA they know it'll be a hard sell and they will lose money on each one sold, BUT they might subsidize Tesla less.
    Thanks for the info.

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

The 2.2L / 2.5L was great.

AvengerGuy and superduckie5000 like this.
  5. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

What new engines do you think are bad?

2.0T has superb refinement in Giulia.

Thom Paré likes this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

In the past 6 months, I’ve had two Jeep Wrangler rentals. One was a 2018 with 1k miles. The second was another 2018 with 9k miles. I can’t believe how much worse the engine sounded in the 9k Jeep. It wasn’t confidence inspiring, especially on startup.

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I suspect it's individual variation more than age.

Sound insulation can do wonders. The 2.4 was very quiet in the 2014 Chrysler 200... but loud as @#$*(^! in the Sebring (which was the same car [as the pre-2015 200, if I have my years right. If not, subtract 1 from each]).

8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

The 2.0t with the dual clutch trans in our A3 is very smooth and responsive. Sport mode is cool too. I have not yet had the opportunity to try the 2.0t for FCA, but if it’s as good or better than that in the A3 I would be very pleased. A hybrid version with e-creep would be nice to have.

freshforged likes this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

VW has very smooth engines in my experience, going back years. I'm not willing to play VW quality roulette, though.

10. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

No smoother than Fiat.

ScramFan likes this.
  11. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

What I believe most people want in a 4 cyl. engine and transaxle combo is something quiet, precise shifting with all gears used, spirited acceleration, turbo more so. And a quality build. It shouldn't take lots of sound insulation to keep it quiet either. This seems to be a rather tall bar for FCA at least in NA to achieve.

12. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

The 2.4 in the current Compass is not smooth at all.

13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Let me rephrase.

VW’s USA-spec gasoline engines are very smooth.
    The only Fiat engines over in the USA that I have experienced are the 1.4 FIRE and the 1.4 FIRE turbo. Neither comes close to VW’s gasoline engines in smoothness, but may well be more efficient.
    There has been improvement over time; the Fiata 1.4T seems smoother than the Fiat 500 or Dart 1.4 or 1.4T. But it’s still not in the same class as the VWs.

All said and done, though... I'm not buying or advocating a VW.

In Europe, there is a much wider range of Fiat engines. However, the last time I drove a EuroFiat was well over a decade ago. It was a nice little Punto. I was pleased with it. Far nicer than the awful Peugeot 104 (or 105?) but not quite as nice as the Opel/Vauxhall Corsa. I don't recall if these three are in different price classes...

The 2.4 was never smooth. It's a Hyundai block reworked by Mitsubishi, Chrysler, and Mercedes, topped by a Mercedes-design head and fuel system with some Chrysler tuning and technology, unless you get the newer TigerShark version, which is topped by a mix of Mercedes, Chrysler, and Fiat technologies. The same engine seems smoother in Mitsubishis but I strongly suspect that's a matter of engine mount dampening, sound insulation, and tuning for low-range power rather than peak horsepower ratings.

14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yeah...after this Audi, we probably would not buy another one (or any VW product). It’s a fun car to drive, but it gives me alarm fatigue. Coolant light, oil light, check engine light, tire pressure light, passenger airbag light...I’m probably forgetting a couple...oh, now the washer fluid light is on. (Granted a few of those are minor, and easily corrected).

With the check engine light, it was about 10 different codes from what my mechanic told me. After spending almost $3k on other repairs, enough is enough. I’ll drive it until we get rid of it...and it’s driving ok right now...knock on wood. If it dies, oh well. We’ll never get back what we paid for it anyway. Never again.

tlc and Dave Z like this.
  15. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

My favorite one personally is the it to cold light so we're gonna warn you about possible ice. Gets me the first couple times every year. My only big gripe at least for my VW is the lack of tire pressure sensors since i like to see the actual pressure but i can't be bad at it long term since it's way cheaper to just go off of the wheel speed sensor and not an actual sensor in the tire

Zagnut27 and HotCarNut like this.
  16. IronMike3406

IronMike3406 Well-Known Member

The 2.4 isn't that bad unless you drive it like a mad man then it does get quite a bit buzzy !!! I've just learned to drive our Renegade differently than I would my Ram or Dakota. Granted it isn't refined as say a Honda or Toyota 4 cylinder engines but after driving our friends VW Jetta with their 1.4 Turbo 4cyl and 6 speed manual talk about a laggy engine transmission combo You nail the throttle and it takes about 5 seconds before any movement happens then the turbo kicks in and just makes for a weird driving experience. Our friend is to the point where she is ready to trade it in on a Renegade she loves ours......

AvengerGuy and tlc like this.
  17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

My wife's Encore has the "it's cold outside, so better watch out for ice...duh!!" warning chime/light. I'm not sure if the A3 has it too, it may have gotten lost in the cacophony of other alarms & chimes. Her Encore also likes to scream at you that you are in danger of a head-on collision while you're in the drive through at McDonalds. Fun times!

AvengerGuy and Ryan like this.
  18. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

My school bus has that—pissesmeoff to no end

Zagnut27 likes this.
  19. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I don't have within me anything that remotely resembles patience...so when the Encore starts yelling at me, of course I start yelling back at it. I really can't help it. It's involuntary. No, really. :D My wife thinks I'm nuts. She's probably right. :p

And to get this back to the topic of this thread, after driving the underpowered 4cyl turbo in the Encore, I never wanted to look at another 4cyl turbo. Now after driving the 2.0T in the A3, I'd like to sample some from FCA to see what they have to offer, as it has opened my eyes to the possibilities as opposed to the preconceived notions of what I thought I was interested in. I'm really looking forward to vehicle shopping in the fall/winter.

tlc likes this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

My Jeep has the front parking sensors. They are way more annoying than I expected. I think even curbs set them off because they beep at me when I pull up to my spot at work and there’s nothing else even around.

superduckie5000 and Zagnut27 like this.