AF: Powertrain novelties for calendar 2021 | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powertrain novelties for calendar 2021

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by T_690, May 19, 2020.

1. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

I would love to try the 4cyl Giulia. As much as I’d love a 2 seater, I’m driving for 5. This drivetrain interests me a great deal

Zagnut27 and tlc like this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I had the front and rear sensors on my Ram. What I didn't like was if the front sensors went off when I pulled into a parking place, the front sensors would keep sounding even when I had put the truck in reverse.

I swear the Grand Cherokee Summit sensors were "smarter" but I only had that Jeep for a month so I could be wrong.

somber and Ryan like this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I have no issues with the FCA front and rear sensors other than, as Valiant mentions,
    (a) they are not smart enough to shut off the front alert if you have the car in Reverse, or the rear if you have the car in Drive
    (b) see (a)

WRT to VW/Audi, I was stunned at the quantity of random warnings. Also, all the ones they lent me ten years back had glitches so they alarmed whether something was wrong or not.

I did not have the turbo lag issue on the VWs I've tested, one at the showroom and two press loaners. I decided I just couldn't buy a VW, though, any more than I can buy a Ford. The Nazi past is there and at least Ford has never distanced itself from it; and now VW has shown they approve of racism through their latest commercial. (Yeah, I'm sure nobody at VW watched that before approving it... right. Automakers just give blank checks to ad agencies.)

I will credit them with making the Fiat 1.4T much better than it was originally.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  4. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Front sensors stay on when reversing to aid parallel parking, but yes, rear sensors should be disabled as soon as a forward gear is selected (mine are)

5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

The curbs do set them off because the Encore starts singing to me when I get close to the curb. I wish I had it on my Mustang so I didn’t scrape the chin spoiler on the curb.

The A3 is very smooth, and there is very little lag with the turbo. The lag on our Encore is so long I could probably use the time to write a children’s book.

6. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

I have the front and rear parking sensors on my 2015 Expedition Limited - and found them to be handy. The front sensors work while in reverse - which is handy when backing out of a space or area that is tight, and may have something near the front (such as a garbage car or light pole).

7. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Regarding Audi and their power plants, a YouTube mechanic points out some services require engine out. He says book is 40hrs labor. I had toyed with the idea of an a/s 8 in the future as they plummet in value. Now I know why, a timing belt service would total the car.

somber, tlc, Zagnut27 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Why would having the front sensors beeping why you're going backwards be handy? (You mean in case you sideswipe it? I don't think they work like that.)

somber and valiant67 like this.
  9. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Unfortunately I can verify that YouTube mechanic’s claim. To find the leaks in the AC and fix them, they had to dismantle a good portion of the front fascia from what I recall my mechanic telling me. Not a cheap fix by any means. The good news is, the AC works great after they fixed it. So I’ve got that going for me.....

danbek and sickboy like this.
  10. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

ok I get it, you don't like nazis (who does)...BUT THAT COMMERCIAL WAS HARMLESS.

11. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

The front sensors on my Expedition work forward and slightly to the front sides. You’re correct about sideswiping something if you are turning, while backing. I have been stopped, with the vehicle in drive, and have a pedestrian walk very close to the front side - which activates the sensors.

12. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Regarding VW's past. They have an Auto City "experience" park for showcasing all their brands right next to their main factory (built during WW II) in Wolfsburg (one of the largest car plants in the world). When visiting it two years ago I asked at the information booth why they didn't have a memorial for all the forced labor workers that died building the factory. All I got was silence.

somber likes this.
  13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Harmless perhaps, in the sense that no one is being physically harmed. However, it’s extremely offensive to people of color on many levels, and that’s why the add was pulled.

Volkswagen apologizes for racist ad showing black man being dragged away from new car | Boston.com (at https://www.boston.com/news/business/2020/05/21/volkswagen-apologizes-for-racist-ad-showing-black-man-being-dragged-away-from-new-car )

I think BMW only recently acknowledged their history of using slave labor during WWII. I imagine Mercedes used slave labor too, as did Japanese companies. I’d have to research it further to see if any of them have erected memorials or made reparations.

gforce2002 and Donte Lindsey like this.
  14. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

As for 4 bangers and nvh, they are genarelly much better if they are keept at 2 liters or below. Bigger and they start rocking.
    Our old passat has a 1.8T/ 150hp/ 5 spd and that engine is smooth, strong and doesent use much gas, they are also considered as real workhorses if they just get their oil changed a normal times. ( not longlife. But these engines arent the only ones that suffer from longlife oil.)
    Now comes the hybrides, its probably possible to totally smoothen the four bangers speed variation over the turn by adding torque when its slowing down and braking ( charging ) when it accelerates. ( All of this happens whithin one revolution.)
    Manufacturers who has done some work with 4 banger diesels shouldnt have any trouble at all making a 4 banger gas engine that gets good nvh.
    Power wize...anything over 60- 70 hp/ liter must have a turbo if they are going to be civilized ( unless they are going into a sportscar were high revs are prefered.)

15. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

People should not have to walk on egg shells because of someones percieved notion of being offended

16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

People should know better than to produce an overtly racist ad. That’s not eggshells, that’s stupidity.

gforce2002, serpens, tlc and 5 others like this.
  17. hmk123

Level III Supporter

In the nineties VW did actually pay for a study/book about their past and I just saw that they post it on their corporate site:
    https://www.volkswagenag.com/presence/konzern/documents/history/englisch/Katalog_Erinnerungsstätte_EN.pdf

The book mentions rooms in its table of contents. Maybe they do have a place of remmeberence? But when I asked at the information booth in Wolfsburg they looked puzzled. Mercedes does mention its dark past in their museum.

The U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum also has a page about the VW factory:
    Volkswagen (at https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/volkswagen-1 )

I was at the opening of the movie Angel of Ahlem in NYC where one of the speakers was Henry Kissinger who was part of the 84th Infranty Division that liberated a camp in Hanover where prisoners were forced to work for Continental underground. The slaved labor camps were all over Germany.

Today is a special day to remember that all this horror did not that happen that long ago and that many sacrificed their life to free our world. What different times we seem to live in when some people seem to refuse to sacrifice a bit of convenience by not wearing a mask to protect others...

freshforged, Zagnut27 and Dave Z like this.
  18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I don't know... I thought the old 2.4 was a lot smoother than the 2.0 it was based on. My 2.5, too, seemed smoother to me than the 2.2 it replaced. 'Course those were balance-shaft engines. I think the main issue with FCA is the design of these particular engines. The Mitsubishi 2.4 seemed a lot quieter and smoother than either FCA version.

Maybe if you add “all else being equal.” Part of what might be going on is the pursuit of peak horsepower numbers, at least with the current 2.4 engines. The Neon-based 2.4 was meant for minivans and peak horsepower was not a major concern; it had to be a torquer, like the 3.8 vs the 3.5. The 3.8 was a slightly smoother engine than the 3.5, if I recall correctly, but made a lot less power. The 3.8’s goal was low-end torque; the 3.5’s was peak horsepower.

19. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Because just because you’re reversing doesn’t mean the front of your car isn’t in danger of hitting something. That’s the why every car maker programs them to stay on. It’s especially helpful if you’re in a parking garage and you’re backing out of a parking space with a pole directly adjacent.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  20. somber

somber 370,000 miles

In my opinion, they should have more situational awareness. If I'm in reverse and an object is directly in front of me, why alarm? Also, for the example you gave of a pole adjacent, only alarm if the wheels are turned toward the pole - no need to alarm if backing straight out.

valiant67 and tlc like this.