AF: Praise for formica | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Praise for formica

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by voiceofstl, Jul 30, 2020.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

My sister bought a house which at the time it was built in the early 60's. I think it was a mid to high price house at the time and it was custom built. She bought it from the heirs of the orginal owners and it was hardly updated. I will use formica as a general term....Formica is everywhere, the kitchen counters, the cabnets and the bathroom cabnets. For some reason the clostet doors are formica covered and they slide into the walls.
    Did they make special high end formica then?? because the stuff still looks great.
    Wife has been talking about getting a new kitchen countertop, I'm thinking formica is the way to go.
    comments.................

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  2. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

I worked as a custom cabinet builder in the mid-sixties and installed more than my share of laminated countertop. There were different grades of material for different uses, and most of what we installed was either Formica or Wilson Art brand. I can't remember the other brand names, but there were a couple more.

The heavier material was used for countertops, while the lighter and sometimes textured material was used for door and cabinet facing. As I recall, the fancier finishes, like extra metal flake, mostly dictated the price, but it was all reasonably priced when compared to modern stone and man-made materials.

Impact by heavy objects was the most common damage cause, but it was very good stuff and I'm not surprised you found some in great shape.

3. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Formica must be some tough stuff. In looking at the history of it, it was also used for automotive timing gears and airplane propellers :)

Formica (plastic) - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formica_(plastic)#:~:text=Formica%20laminate%20was%20invented%20in,filing%20on%201%20February%201913 ).

"An important application devised in the 1920s was the use of phenolic laminate fabric for gears; cut on conventional hobbing machines, the gears were tough and quiet, which was important for automotive timing gears. By 1932, Formica Insulation Company was producing 6,000 gear blanks per day for Chevrolet and other car makers."

[​IMG]

"During World War II it manufactured "Pregwood" plastic-impregnated wooden aeroplane propellers and bomb parts. Post-war, engineering uses declined, ceasing in 1970 in favor of decorative laminates."

[​IMG]

DC-93 and chuzz like this.
  4. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

That's almost as good as this day in history, Rick. I miss those.

5. 06PTElectricBlue

Yep, me too, and the random picture thread, and the # thread where the pic matches the post #. :)

I especially liked it when a lot of people were participating in it ;)

chuzz likes this.
  6. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Nylon replaced formica for timing gears. Quieter and longer lasting.

Today, a formica counter in a house means you’re too cheap to buy granite!! Or marble. Or ceramic!!

valiant67 and 06PTElectricBlue like this.
  7. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

My house was built in 1977 with Formica in the kitchen, both bathrooms and the basement cooking area. Looks just as good now as when it was installed. I don't piss away money on things that "they" say I should have...............that's why I have a lot of it. I don't buy overpriced coffee at Starbucks or pay $10 to have someone deliver a $5 hamburger from McDonalds to my house etc etc etc !!

8. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

You are right...I don't follow the heard, I choose formica.

06PTElectricBlue and chuzz like this.
  9. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Formica will have lower value when the kids are selling off your house. ;)

10. 06PTElectricBlue

They always say that trends come and go, who knows, maybe by the time his kids sell off his house, Formica could be back in style :cool::):D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DC-93 likes this.
  11. 06PTElectricBlue

They recently did a rehab of the original Brady Bunch House, which had Formica all over the kitchen :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DC-93 likes this.
  12. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

13. RalphP

Level 2 Supporter

Talking to old folks when I was a kid (note: I'm now 64), Linoleum and Formica were two of the most important inventions of the 20th Century.

Linoleum because now floors could be scrubbed and cleaned and sterilized (try sterilizing a WOOD floor!). Formica for the same reason, for everyday folks.

RwP