AF: Pro master city pickup | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro master city pickup

Discussion in 'Vans' started by voiceofstl, Jan 26, 2015.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Google "Fiat Doblò Work Up" for pics of the promaster city pickup truck version.
    Its as ugly as sin but very practical.

2. Donnie 3.0

Donnie 3.0 Well-Known Member

3. tazdevil

tazdevil Member

Put a box on it, a VM diesel and look out!

66coronet likes this.
  4. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Wouldn't a box just make it a van again?

5. tazdevil

tazdevil Member

A box, in pickup terms, is not a full enclosure, it is an open box, or bed, for hauling things.

6. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Replacement for the farm Gator? I would have preferred a PT Cruiser truck-like thing.

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Love the way the sides can all come down. Styling awful, function great.

8. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The decision was made not to import a cab-chassis PMC. That would have allowed all sorts of aftermarket solutions. FCA is being very conservative on sales projections for Promaster City. Perhaps they are waiting to see how sales go before adding variants.

9. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I can understand that they'd feel betwixt and between. Kinda conservative though. No truck other than Ram 1500/2500/3500 leaves quite an open spot for other makes to fill. No Mitsu mid-sized for NAFTA - at least not yet - and the same can be said of the Fiat-based small pick-up. Now no PMC chassis cab. Just to have a stop-gap light weight truck, I'm hoping Mr. Sheaves is right that the JL will bring about a truck variant.

A Crew bodied Ducato-ProMaster with a Pick-up bed would compete against the Ram Pick-up, but the idea intrigues me anyway. That still would be a lighter weight solution compared against a Hemi- or Cummins Ram.

10. thedriver

thedriver Active Member

they need to bring it anyhow. with GM returning to the mid size truck market, somebody needs to go small.

11. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yeah, well, maybe a little bit of a design competition so the thing doesn't have to drive backwards to keep people from gagging would help. I don't have a problem with functionality over looks, but something coming out of a factory that looks this bad, well, how are some of those that look similar to this (think Leaf, and a couple Toyotas) that sell poorly because they are posterior ugly.

12. JavelinAMX

You DO have a point; I acknowledge.

13. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

I agree with DANA44, that truck is BUTT UGLY! Function, with that high cab, is probably great though.

14. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

The Promaster City is not as bad as the Transit Connect. I can't see them selling a bunch of the pickups, but if I had a business that called for it, like a lawn and garden business or a nursery, I think it would be great. I drive a (gag) Transit Connect at work now. I would give a testicle to have a Promaster City instead.

15. dana44

Ad-Free Member

You are right, I would imagine seeing them doing lanscaping at Disneyland, Disneyworld, or any zoo.

PCRMike likes this.
  16. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Or a small farm. Lots of applications. Heck, I would buy one if I needed another truck, because of good mpg.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  17. JavelinAMX

You add an FPT 2.0 L Diesel I4 or a VM Motori 2.5L Diesel I4 @ (154 HP / 295 LbFt TQ * ) ... especially, with the 9-speed auto which is already part of the package, you'd have a pretty spiffy machine. Haul/Handle "stuff" with good off-the-line performance and stand-out fuel economy.

But the out of the box ProMaster City looks to be a sleeper or straight-up competitive.

{ * - I'm pretty sure the Torque input would be in range for the 9-speed auto }

18. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Sure, and once again, the thing is just posterior ugly. I guess some of those old Soviet designers found jobs in Italy. There is so much better that could be done with the aesthetics on it, so how about a mini-Ram design for appeal?

19. keithwwalker

keithwwalker Active Member

Ram has to realize that there would be minimal competition against their own pickups - it is a market niche, this is a totally different form of work truck. Also, that Ram would own the market niche if they brought work vehicles like this to market - no one else is capable of selling these!

Perfect landscaping vehicle, put the machines in the back, and up to 5 people in the front (the Ducato below can seat 7!)

What would Chrysler be if they passed on the minivan concept, because it 'competed' with thier existing station wagons?

[​IMG]

20. JavelinAMX

No argument from me. :)

Now, if Ram or their 3rd party wanted, they could fit some storage under the bed, ahead of the rear wheel and aft the crew cab. That might go over reasonably well.