AF: problem adding fuel. | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem adding fuel.

Discussion in 'Cherokee, Liberty, Nitro' started by Richard in Idaho, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Richard in Idaho

Richard in Idaho Active Member

This has happened at two stations. The nozzle shuts off as soon as you pull the handle. The tank is nearly empty. It seem that the fuel stays the the filler tube shuts off the pump and then very slowly goes into the tank. Never had as problem until yesterday..This in on a 2014 Cherokee V6.

Thanks
    Richard

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

In my experience, this happens because of the pump, not the car. I have had to squeeze the handle just enough to get gas to flow in the smallest amount, then very slowly increase the flow after about 1/2 gallon has been pumped.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I've had a couple of cars that had this issue and it happened at different gas stations. Since both were spare vehicles, I just got used to filling them more slowly as they could never accept more than 1/2 the pump's flow without shutting off the pump..

I'd try another station or two just to make sure it isn't a pump problem.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The gas tank does need to vent into the charcoal canister while refueling. The system is called ORVR for On-board Refueling Vapor Recovery. The tank needs to breathe.
    If there is a restriction, rollover valve malfunction or if the canister has flooded, it can cause your symptoms. Rule out a pump nozzle issue first.

[​IMG]

5. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

Any update?

6. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

If a nozzle at a fuel station is not matched to the pressures from the pump .. then this could happen. Experienced this in the diesel world so just assuming that It could happen in the gas world.

7. Richard in Idaho

Richard in Idaho Active Member

They replaced the Canister - Vapor and the Tube - Fuel Filler. Did NOT help at all. They have ordered a Gas Tank. To see if that helps. They seems have no idea how to fixed it.
    Glad that I have Mopar Vehicle Protection. Let FCA pay for all of this.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.