AF: Problem with 84 Reliant Carburetor ??? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with 84 Reliant Carburetor ???

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by slim slow slider, Jun 14, 2020.

1. slim slow slider

slim slow slider Well-Known Member

Hello: Need the best advice this group has to offer. It's my 84 Reliant with 2.2 carb with fuel solenoid. Several months ago, after running so smoothly, it began running like crap. Was told it was carb. Had carb rebuilt; same problem. Traced to vacuum leak at the very front of the carb. Put another carb on, nothing! Put another carb on, same problem. Would not idle smooth. Tests showed a vacuum leak at the front of the base of carb. Took carb off examined base, installed new base gasket; no resolution of the problem. One person said it could be a warped intake manifold. Seems unlikely that 2 different carbs would have worn base plates, but no problems like this previously. This car ran so smooth and quiet. Hard to figure out what could have happened. Help is appreciated!

2. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Originally they had a rubber carb isolator/insulater that tended to fail/leak.

Most were replaced with an alum spacer that's no longer available new.

The spacer requires gaskets both above and below it.

That's the first area I would check if you haven't yet.

I believe the Mopar Part Number was 04287994.

Thanks
    Randy

3. slim slow slider

Randy: The rubber carb isolator was eliminated and the alum spacer replaced it in 83.

4. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

I like to start with the basics but you're way ahead of me.

Thanks
    Randy

5. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Well-Known Member

Check for any warping at the base of the carburetor. Also check for the cluster down the middle of the venturi being loose and rattling.
    A friend went through these problems on an 87 Omni. Base of the carburetor was warped and the cluster was loose and rattling.
    Had another friend with either an 82 or 83 K car with the cluster loose, rattling, and it ran fine.

6. slim slow slider

Am hearing that bits of charcoal from canister get into the carb and clog it, making starting nearly impossible. Got a rebuild for another car and was advised to install a filter between canister and the inlet for the canister. Probably could be my problem. Ever heard of this situation? I heard that Chrysler issued a TSB about this back in June of 1982.

7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Debris can enter the float bowl from the air horn above, from the bowl vent or from the fuel inlet. If it is running lean, there may be an internal fuel passage restriction from debris. It doesn't have to be charcoal, it could be anything.
    You could remove the top of the carb and 'toot' compressed air with an air gun into the passage ports to try and clear them.
    Lean can also be a vacuum leak. Pinching off rubber hoses with pliers and listening for a difference. Spraying water at the base of the carb and listening for a difference. Avoid using any sealers or carb gaskets as vacuum passages at the bottom of the carb may suck it in.

8. slim slow slider

Walt: Sorry for late response. Checked for vacuum leaks. Going with theory that charcoal debris from the vent canister is the issue. Everything under the sun has been ruled out. I also got a brainstorm! Remember buying a Mikuni carb for a 2.6 I once had. The company included a small fuel filter to be installed in the line from canister to carb. They stated if this wasn't done, the warranty would be void! Sure hopes this works! Will let U know. Stay Safe!!!

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  9. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Item of interest, the Holley/Weber carburetor was used at one point or another by all of the "big 3" GM, Ford and Chrysler. GM and Ford versions have removable idle jets, just like the European Webers, Chrysler versions have the idle jets pressed into the bowl casting then the connecting passages have the ends plugged. These are extremely small jets and will easily clog with very tiny particles. In my time at the dealership we probably replaced 5 or 6 of these under warranty for idle problems, they would not deliver any fuel through the idle circuit and no amount of blowing the passages out would solve it.

10. slim slow slider

Thanks very much for the info. I understand that even changing the jets can make a performance difference. A knowledgeable person in a FB Group gave me this info. Back to the problem at hand: Plan to get carb rebuilt and make sure they clean out these small passages. In addition, going to place a cheap inline fuel filter in the hose going from the canister to the carb inlet. I also was informed Chrysler issued a FSB about this problem in June '82

11. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Good luck with it, at least it isn't the 2.6L Mikuni-Solex.

12. slim slow slider

I gave up on those carbs a long time ago!!!