AF: Product, Product, Product | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Product, Product, Product

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by ShawnP, Jun 26, 2020.

1. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

That seems the big thing for Canadian FCA plants.

Windsor will be underutilized when the Caravan's end.

Brampton looks busy but all 3 products are long in the tooth. I believe the 300 is viable. Every last 300 owner I know or meet has loved it.

Ford looks like it's being the bad guy.

Autoworkers refuse to fight over scraps during wage talks in Canada, union leader warns (at https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2020/06/26/wage-contracts-unifor-ford-gm-fiat-chrysler-covid-19-canada/3251240001/ )

2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I like the tough talk, but in reality they are not in a good position for the talks with FCA. Windsor's product could be moved to Belvedere very easily, and Brampton's to either Toluca, or Saltillo.

3. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

FCA isn't as bad as a certain Generally Morons company with it's one shift plants but it has a lot of two shift plants.

Our fearless proposed moving the Cherokee production to Windsor. Belvidere then becomes Ram plant 2 and Warren takes over as a Ram overflow plant. Checking Belvidere on Goggle maps shows it isn't landlocked and can be expanded.

Sadly to keep Saltillo busy the Dakota moves in. With the Strada and Dakota Saltillo should be busy enough.

4. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

e.O Dakota? As far as I know there is no official word on any such truck.

5. Adventurer55

With a global cutback on non essential things like autos, one would think not much in the way of expansion of anything is going to happen anytime soon. Ram will be lucky to keep SHAP running at near capacity for at least another year or longer. Yes they could move Cherokee or whatever it becomes to Windsor, but if it goes back to rwd and things don't go well in Canada, those products could move to Belvedere. Trust me, they will produce something in Mexico even if it's not that long rumored truck, or whatever fills Toluca.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  6. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I don’t know where the US-Canada Auto Pact stands after the latest USCM negotiations, but is it coincidence that right after it got ratified GM announced closure of Oshawa, and FCA cut 1500 jobs in Windsor before the pandemic struck...?

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  7. purplepassengerpete

purplepassengerpete Active Member

I think the opposite of that is true. The Cherokee could easily fit in Windsor. The Pacifica is too big for Belvidere and definitely wouldn't fit without major remodeling. The Cherokee as is just barely fits in Belvidere, and It took some tricks just to squeeze it in there :confused:

8. Archknight

Archknight Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like there will be anything new for 2021. They stripped Dodge of the Caravan and Journey finally, so we really don't have anything to get excited about. They haven't announced or even teased any all new models for any brands, so I guess until tge PSA merger is complete we can forget about any new models unless they fall under Jeep.

willy4110 likes this.
  9. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I know people are hungry for new models. At the same time in a few years we might be thankful that the current V8 muscle cars stayed around for so long. While other brands have newer models I am not sure I get super excited about some of the so called innovation... It would be nice if Chrysler had at least one or two models that sat a little below Lincoln and Cadillac.

Some of the models could for sure have used some smart refreshes, similar what they have done in 2011. Would be great if the 300 got some additional attention interior wise. Hopefully the 21 Durango interior makes it into the LXs, too.

Bill Sample and Donte Lindsey like this.
  10. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

To think all these issues with lack of shifts could be accomplished if... wow... hear me out... if CHRYSLER and DODGE actually got NEW vehicles! :D Wow. That's a crazy idea. It will probably never happen.

11. Adventurer55

It seems like only yesterday that some were talking about 18, 19, and 20 model years and the onslaught of new products that will blow our mind. Evidently, that only applied to the Jeep brand. I would think that by now it would be clear to most that that was either not true or wishful thinking. Now with a merger looming and no new products most likely until all Jeep models are launched, anyone care to guess what comes after that?

12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It’s always perpetually 3 years out for an onslaught of new models. Each year FCA creates a few new skeptics.

Adventurer55, gforce2002 and hotmach like this.
  13. Adventurer55

It's also noteworthy that those that talked up the new product onslaught don't seem to post on this forum much or any at all anymore.

14. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

And those would get hostile towards the skeptics, it was frustrating.
    We here are all on the FCA team, just not all wearing rose coloured glasses.

15. Archknight

Archknight Well-Known Member

So can we expect some new people movers to show up for Chrysler, since they are finally killing off the Caravan and Journey? It's like they are going to ignore the brand they gave one new model (split it in two) and call it a day. North America is providing them with cash flow, but they don't bother giving us anything worth getting really excited about. I know some people are going crazy over the high powered Dodges, but for that kind of money most people are shopping luxury. Something needs to happen with the other brands or just kill them off already.

16. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Could that be because they have this own website? You still gotta remember things change fast in the auto industry, just look how fast the 7.0 got shelved and multiple people knew about and caught it testing in the wild

Devildodge likes this.
  17. Jason E

Jason E Active Member

I keep praying they will do something with Chrysler.

Dodge being at 3 models seems fine at this point. I think Dodge could use a mid sized performance RWD vehicle in sedan and crossover (I won't dare mention coupe because that would NEVER happen...).

I absolutely love my 300 and would buy another in a heartbeat. But it feels like FCA is content with killing the Chrysler brand entirely. Big, big mistake. People's infatuation with SUVs won't last forever....

18. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Well, if next year is the last year for this gen Durango then Dodge is down to two models, too, after that. Unless there is a new Durango. Curious what regulations the Durango won’t meet any longer while the Challenger and Charger still do? Any news about the fate of the 300? I hope they keep it because with so many car models gone (e.g. Lincoln, Impala, etc) in 2021 some buyers might return to the 300.

19. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

The current Durango will continue through 2022 and a new body-on-frame Durango will be a 2023 model. The Hellcat is a one-year only model but the others will stay in production.

300 is still going to be discontinued.

HotCarNut and suzq044 like this.
  20. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

No one will return to the 300 until they offer something new, anything new, option wise, color wise, performance wise, new wheels, interiors, 392, ...

HotCarNut and suzq044 like this.