AF: Product, Product, Product | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Product, Product, Product

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by ShawnP, Jun 26, 2020.

1. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

The future is grim. I lost faith in the Italians years ago. Now, we have PSA to take care of. Chrysler is dead. How long can Dodge last? Jeep and Ram look good for the foreseeable future.

Chrysler: Pacifica
    Dodge: Durango (All New coming soon), Charger, Challenger
    Jeep: Wrangler (Hybrid coming soon), Gladiator, Compass, Renegade, JGC (All New coming very soon), Cherokee, Grand Wagoneer (All New coming soon)
    Ram: 1500, 2500, 3500, Commercial, Rebel (TRX coming very soon), Power Wagon

HotCarNut and aldo90731 like this.
  2. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Hybrids bring incremental volume and help expand what consumers think of a brand, but that’s it. Unfortunately, hybrids don’t fix much else. Plus they are hard to sell and hard to make money on.

I keep seeing Wrangler owners having all sorts of electrical problems with their JLs. Some as soon as they drive off the lot; others after a year or two of ownership. The 2.0T and eTorque appear to be the most problematic. I wouldn’t touch a hybrid from FCA any time soon.

3. Jason E

Jason E Active Member

Agreed...I have a loaded 2013 Varvatos LE with 92k.

Where is my motivation to move up? My car has much of the SRT looks (SRT bumper, greyed out trim and wheels) with all the options of a C.

They don't even make a model as nice as mine, 7 years later!! And mine had a higher MSRP 7 years ago of any 300 they make now...

jimboy and CDJSalesPro like this.
  4. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

When the merger is complete, the new combined entity will have the perfect excuse to give Chrysler the chop (and Lancia)...in the name of "streamlining the company's brand portfolio".

It's enough to trigger a really good case of heartburn...

Quambi likes this.
  5. Archknight

Archknight Well-Known Member

I thought the Giorgio platform was supposed to underpin 12 models for FCA? They could have slide in a 4 door midsized coupe liftback to Dodge at least, so it felt like they were trying to keep it alive. The 2.0T E-torque could have been the only engine, so it didn't step on the Charger.

6. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

The systemic reduction in models is continuing unfortunately. The fact that they had or have nothing to replace those models is/was troubling. But not surprising considering that either it wasn't worth their time or money to bring new or updated models. At some point it will come back and bite them. No Dakota, nothing replacing Journey, and no Caravan. No CUV for Chrysler either and the 300 is toast. It's inconceivable that the hottest market, CUV that Chrysler or Dodge has nothing to sell, I exclude Durango because it's being marketed more as a car now and not a people mover. I'm not convinced that this hasn't been the plan all along, and I'll believe the bof Durango when it's rolling down the line at Warren. One model for Chrysler and two for Dodge is the future.

7. Jason E

Jason E Active Member

That's correct. Its awful. The Big 3 are becoming nothing more than truck and SUV brands.

We've learned nothing from the Japanese about long-term strategy, short-term incentives and share value...nothing. As a die-hard GM and Chrysler fan, I look at what the companies used to offer and what they offer now...and think what the HELL is going on?

Ernesto, jimboy, AvengerGuy and 6 others like this.
  8. Adventurer55

And they could use a 7.0 about now in trucks to compete with Ford, but since they at the time thought the V8 was going to be put out to pasture AGAIN, I believe whatever update plans they had went with it. Now, since it didn't die it's time to play catch-up again. They never learn.

jimboy likes this.
  9. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

I wish I could like this post an infinite number of times!

Adventurer55 likes this.
  10. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I thought they have some new trim options and new colors. For 2021 I would like to see an updated front grill and an updated interior including the new center stack we just saw in the Durango. Maybe throw in those luxurious front seats that everyone seems to like in the new Lincolns. And then don’t forget to advertise it. Of course, this pandemic and current labor market isn’t making it any easier. I for one still hardly ever leave our home.

11. valiant67

valiant67 ...

FCA's idea of investing in the 300 was to throw $6k cash on the hood. It didn't greatly help sales and likely killed any chances of 300 living on.

jimboy, saltydog, HotCarNut and 2 others like this.
  12. Adventurer55

The 300's fate was for told when the Charger was fairly well updated and all it got was a few scraps. They don't know what to do with Chrysler, the brand. They can't kill it off yet as long as the company is called Fiat Chrysler. If after the merger the name Chrysler isn't included, watch out. They have taken a calculated risk IMHO, that most of the profits, or otherwise known as short term thinking, is coming from Ram and Jeep. If they can't share some sort of common platform with Jeep aka some derivative of Giorgio, Charger and Challenger will be gone too. Here's the dilemma, an older plant, in Canada, building old cars. Translation, a very large investment for them to continue there. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what's coming next. Some form of assistance, if these cars are to survive.

13. aldo90731

Chrysler has been well on its way to the grave for a number of years. The fact that it’s taken this long for Chrysler to die speaks about the residual equity the brand still had left and which FCA failed to appreciate.

Dodge is now clearly on the same path. This big “American Muscle” powwow Dodge launched this week signals the final salvo before Dodge follows Chrysler to the cemetery. FCA has shown this pattern many times: when sales falter, it will give the brand/model one good push before pulling away all support completely. Without any mainstream models in its lineup, no new models in the pipeline, and 42% decline in sales, Dodge is pretty much dead as far as FCA is concerned.

A slow, gradual death suits FCA just fine. This way it can justify to dealers, customers and the media that the reason the brand is dead is due to “low demand”, not due to mismanagement or negligence.

I hope Mopar fans learn to living in a world without Plymouth, Dodge or Chrysler. All we will have left are Jeeps, Rams, Alfa Romeos, perhaps Fiats, and lots of memories.

14. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

Sadly, I agree with you 100%. It's gonna hurt when there is no Dodge. I have purchased nothing but Dodges my whole life. I have seen no signs of life for years at Dodge, none.

15. Adventurer55

That also would explain the Durango dilemma. Some have said a bof Durango wouldn't fit Dodge's image. Well a new bof Ram badged SUV named something else certainly would.

16. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Chrysler is in the last stages, it’s true. The last window of opportunity is closing (bev focus) and they STILL don’t have their ducks in a row. It’s like they continue to shuffle the deckchairs on the titanic. This does not mean Dodge is in the same boat. They can reasonably still introduce a midsized rwd crossover based on the Stelvio, and it would create a nice 2 car 2 suv lineup for the next few years. Call me a Pollyanna, but I’m holding out hope.

17. hmk123

Level III Supporter

While what you say makes a lot of sense we are (hopefully) not (quite) there yet. Unfortunately nothing lasts forever. Seeing the glass half full I am thankful for the past ten years and hopefully for at least another 5 to 10. I always have to keep in mind that it was almost over for Mopar ten years ago.

18. aldo90731

My beef is that neither Chrysler nor Dodge needed to be in this state. This has all happened under FCA’s watch.

Ernesto, jimboy, HotCarNut and 3 others like this.
  19. aldo90731

That’s true. But the key word is “could”. Does anyone still believe at this point FCA is going to lift a finger to turn around Dodge, after not having done very much through an entire decade in some of the best market conditions we ever had?

20. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I think what unfortunately didn’t materialize is that Fiat was supposed to bring some reliable, powerful, inexpensive, efficient 4 cylinder engines. Those could have helped the entry level vehicles. There were no game changers introduced. Personally I am still a Sergio fan though. While it would be nice to be in a different position it could have also gone worse IMHO. I think the commercial failure of the Dart and 200 caused insecurities in decision making that you can’t afford in this industry. Seems like vehicles like the Wagoneer, the next Durango and LXs have gone back and forth a few times. You need some conviction. And some luck to be betting on the right horse. Never know what fuel prices or administrations will do.

#40 hmk123, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Mr. Fusion likes this.