AF: Product, Product, Product | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Product, Product, Product

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by ShawnP, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Of the two, Dodge would be my guess as well for survival. I’m not sure where the performance vehicles would end up otherwise, and still be affordable.

Ryan likes this.
  2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I would imagine with all the promises made with the merger nothing will be done soon. There is life left in Dodge and if the Chrysler brand had a competitive CUV I think it deserves one last shot.

Donte Lindsey and Chris mopar like this.
  3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yep, probably nothing will be decided until after the merger is complete...probably can’t shuffle things too much during a merger anyway. Mr Tavares apparently likes to salvage brands, so we may yet see another attempt at getting Chrysler off of life support. It’ll be interesting to see one way or another.

4. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Does it, though? The development cost for that CUV would be wasted if it doesn't gain traction in the market because there's no other brand it could be sold under if Chrysler is discontinued. And although some cost could be saved by basing it on the Grand Commander, there's nothing spectacular about the Grand Commander so it wouldn't stand out from the competition enough to save Chrysler.

They're going to have to do a full-on comeback effort with several new models and a clear brand mission if they want to bring Chrysler back from the brink, not just one crossover. Otherwise, they should just cut Chrysler right now.

jimboy and Donte Lindsey like this.
  5. hmk123

Level III Supporter

IMHO a lot has to do with how the market has developed towards anything SUV. Next MY other than for the Mustang Ford is a complete CUV/SUV/truck brand. Unfortunately for Chrysler and Dodge their Jeep counterpart will most likely always sell better. Tricky situation. Maybe consumer taste will change but I am not sure a redesigned 300 will be sales wonder. Kia tried pretty hard with the Stinger and from what I have read it just did so so, might even disappear again.

Deckard_Cain and ScramFan like this.
  6. Chris mopar

Chris mopar Well-Known Member

I have no problem with Dodge dropping GC and J, they are old designs and don’t fit the performance image of Dodge. I suspect most GC lost sales can be made up with the Voyager, it’s almost as cheap and is a more up to date design. I would like to see The long rumored rwd/awd performance mid size suv replacement for J at Dodge, and rumored midsize fwd/awd mid size suv will appear at Chrysler, but who knows weather these are vaporware or will show up Sometime in the near future, who knows? Personally I would like for the 300 to survive, I doubt their is much cross shopping with it and the Charger, but if their is another generation Of 300 it should Be a little more upscale, but who knows what will happen after the merger, their will be more Money to go around. PSA already had a couple of cars planned for the NA market in a year or two or three, instead of bringing in another brand, maybe they will bring those over as Chrysler’s instead, who knows, but to me it makes sense, but who knows? I Might be being too optimistic but I believe Dodge and Chrysler will be around For the foreseeable future.

7. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Ford is making Bronco its own brand. How about Jeep just keeping the Wrangler and GC and everything else becoming Chryslers and/or Dodges? (Not meant to be taken too seriously)

Devildodge likes this.
  8. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Yes, I do believe it does. Once things are sorted out and platform sharing I ramped up for the various markets Chrysler may well be on the receiving end of some product. It costs less then trying to relaunch Peugeot here and it wasn't good the last time it was here. Here's a guess into the future. Fiat brand, Italy and South America. Peugeot and Opel, rest of Europe and the Middle East. Dodge, Ram, and Chrysler, North America. And Jeep, anyplace they can sell them. I leave out Asia because I don't have a clue. :eek:

Ernesto, Chris mopar and hmk123 like this.
  9. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

It would have to stay under the Jeep brand in global markets so they'd either have to develop new products for the US without the Jeep compromises, or keep the compromises intact under the Chrysler brand without the Trail Rated capability, neither of which would be ideal.

Zagnut27 and hmk123 like this.
  10. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge used to be bread and butter car companies for the lack of a better term. I would argue especially Chevy and Ford still are. Toyota is. In a way Chrysler/Dodge have been replaced by Hyundai and Kia. Unfortunately. Some brands are able to build out a whole brand image based on one car, like Porsche with the 911. And in a way I think one could argue Jeep did the same with using the Wrangler as its core image vehicle. Maybe Dodge can pull off something longterm around the muscle car image if V8s are allowed to still exist. I just don’t see that easily translating into the EV age. A mix of nostalgia is needed in my opinion. And unfortunately it is hard to bring Chrysler back as a people mover or affordable luxury brand with that market being crowded. Maybe with something like the Portal if the future goes into that direction. PSA vehicles should come in handy though...

11. MSwenning

MSwenning Active Member

Sub brand, not its own brand. They will Still be Fords. There will be the Ford Bronco, Ford Bronco sport (compact Bronco) and Ford Bronco Maverick? (Bronco pickup)

12. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

People still call the trucks Dodge Rams, I wouldn't rule out Tavares rolling them back under Dodge.

CivoLee, plymouth1, dakota21 and 5 others like this.
  13. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

You're ok with Dodge losing around 50% of it's sales? That's what GC and Journey represent to Dodge. And as has been shown with the death of Plymouth, returning buyers don't simply buy the new Chrysler when they come back looking for a new Dodge van. This is FCA saying, "yeah that's cool that we lose those customers." Just like they did when they dropped the Dart, Avenger, and 200 with nothing at all in those brands. Did all those returning customers suddenly buy a Jeep? Probably not.

Am I the only one who thinks that the new headlights on the Durango look explicitly RAM-like? Almost as though the Durango is going to end up branded as a RAM when (or rather IF) it moves to the BoF platform.

All I'm going to say is I told you so. I saw this all coming when the 200 and Dart were dropped with no CUV variants to replace them. You don't hold your two mainstay brands out of the most mainstream segments that buyers are playing in and expect those brands to have any future whatsoever. EVERY SINGLE AUTOMAKER has CUV's in their brand lineups. Toyota, Lexus, KIA, Hyundai, Honda, Accura, Ford, Lincoln, GMC, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Buick, Volkswagen, Porche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, BMW, Audi, Volvo, and any others I've missed. "Dodge = Performance!" Ok, then where's the CUV? Even Lambo has a friggin CUV.

Anyone who doesn't see that the current models of Charger, Challenger, Durango, and Pacifica are the absolute last of their line and the brands has not been paying attention. I'm sure some people think I'm just being negative, but no, it's out of love. This absolutely breaks my heart what FCA has done.

14. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Just looking at KIA, in the CUV or CUV-like line they have Soul, Soul EV, Seltos, Niro hybrid/PHEV/EV, Sportage, Sorrento, Telluride, and if you want to include the minivan as a people mover, Sedona. That’s besides a lineup of sedans from the Rio to the Stinger. There is literally something for everyone in the one brand.

15. Powdered Toast Man

Same with Ford. You've got Mustang next to F150 next to Escape. And Chevrolet. Corvette next to Camaro next to Silverado next to Equinox.

gforce2002 likes this.
  16. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Funny you mention that. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. No where on it is "Dodge" imprinted. Not on the exterior nor anywhere on the interior. The only way you know it's a Dodge is to look up the VIN #. All it has other wise is the Ram emblem on the tailgate and on the steering wheel.

17. hmk123

Level III Supporter

If I am not mistaken FCA has not lost market share since Dart and 200 disappeared (not including 2020). Granted, I have a hard time seeing how they will not give up any without Journey and Grand Caravan but we won’t know for sure for another year or so. Plus, probably have to get back to the old normal (whenever that will be)...

18. Powdered Toast Man

At that time the Ram's head was the Dodge logo. "Grab life by the horns!" TM

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  19. CharlesTown Cob

Wait a minute.. This is for real? What happened to the recently trademarked Hornet CUV thing? The midsize sedan, the Viper successor..? Where is everything the insiders have been saying the past few years? Is it all dead?

20. georgef

georgef Well-Known Member

I'm almost certain it says Dodge on the cover of the owner's manual.