AF: Product, Product, Product | Page 7 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Product, Product, Product

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by ShawnP, Jun 26, 2020.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The longer they wait to revive a brand, the more it will cost to do it. Some people overlook that fact in justifying the business as usual approach. Look at the HUGE avalanche of product it took to relaunch Chrysler and Dodge in the mid-1990s.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Agree. I recall Bob Sheaves touched on this many years ago - like $2 billion or so and that didn't include production start up costs.

HotCarNut and valiant67 like this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Here's a list from memory showing the commitment Chrysler made after years of nothing much but K car variations. Those of us who followed Chrysler (the corporation) back then felt the enormous sense of pride this rebirth meant. It was legendary and the investments paid off.
    92: Viper
    93: Grand Cherokee, LH cars
    94: Ram 1500
    95: Neon, Cloud cars
    96: Sebring convertible, new minivans
    97: New Dakota
    That's 9 new products (or 8 if you include Sebring convertible with Cloud cars) over 6 years. This isn't even counting the individual models.

Ernesto, Chebby7, HotCarNut and 4 others like this.
  4. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

It was the second generation Ram that brought me in.

So different.

Ernesto likes this.
  5. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

And most of those bad decisions were the result of Sergio's meddling in areas he had zero expertise. He was no product guy. I will be forever grateful He helped keep Chryco alive, but was time for a change at the top. I can only hope Manley starts to exert some influence on (north american) product, or is he simply a yes man to Elkann?

6. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

They should be moved to the Ghibli architecture. It's already available, would fit the factory , and offer a significantly upgraded 'L' experience with a fairly minimal investment, auto-motively speaking.

thebluegoat and HotCarNut like this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Apparently the Maserati derivative of the L-platform would not fit in Brampton and if they are renovating anyway, Giorgio Global is the better architecture with support for electrification.

Plus, there's flexibility to swap products around to different plants based on demand, with the 2- and 3-row Grand Cherokees, Charger, Challenger, and midsize Dodge SUV all going onto GG.

This was pointed out to me by @T_690.

8. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Well, Ryan, you know my opinion, ANYTHING that would save the Chrysler brand and the 300 as an automobile, and not a cuv/suv anything, works for me.

9. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

The similarities between he and Iacocca are uncanny. Lee was a good turnaround guy and unlike Sergio had a knack for seeing the future, but became complacent. Sergio became obsessed with Alfa and nothing else. Other projects got pushed back because of this. He, IMHO want about the whole thing backwards. If he would've kept his bread winners fully updated, and on time, he then would've had time to launch Alfa. Instead, he did it backwards and now they're constantly playing catch-up.

HotCarNut and kevin m. Henry like this.
  10. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

Whats going on with the brampton renovation I know the L platform redue was pushed back but I thought it was due for upgrades in 4th quarter 2021. Is that still happening with the pandemic.

11. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Car width is the problem...

12. Chris mopar

Chris mopar Well-Known Member

I have already expressed my opinion on survivability of the CDJR brands, however I do not think the Fiat brand has a future in NA, wrong products for NA. The Alfa and Maserati brands do have value for FCA/PSA In North America, these two are premium brands with premium profit margins, they do not have to sell in large numbers to make money, I would like to see them share a little more and faster with CDJR were possible, which also should help with profitability with all the brands. Lastly I like the looks of the of AR’s.

tlc, tabutler and Ryan like this.
  13. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Maserati yes, Alfa no. Alfa need to pump up their sales numbers a lot either by being more competitive or having more cars.

jimboy and HotCarNut like this.
  14. dakota21

Supporter

I doubt many people would notice if the trucks became Dodge again. It would definitely help the brand strength if they moved the trucks back and positioned Dodge back towards a sporty mainstream image. Add a couple sporty CUVs and the brand should be able to both keep its performance image and stay viable long term.

thebluegoat and HotCarNut like this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

The Tonale will be in a popular segment so hopefully it will help.

I think the tiny dealer network is a major hurdle as well. But how do you convince people to open dealerships when you only have a handful of unpopular products to sell? One answer may be to incentivize standalone Jeep dealerships to sell Alfa alongside Jeep. Jeep is wanting to break into some premium segments anyway with the Wagoneers and next-gen Grand Cherokees and they have the volume to help carry the dealership until Alfa can get its lineup filled out.

Mr. Fusion, tlc and HotCarNut like this.
  16. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Or you go European and do Alfa-Maserati to focus on the luxury aspect. The Jeep idea would be crippling to current CDJR dealers as it's a huge chunk of volume and profit for the dealers. Hard to pull it out to award to Alfa dealers as an enticement.

Chris mopar and Adventurer55 like this.
  17. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Popular segment in Europe. Not so much in US. And it will not be cheap. I presume mid $30k starting price in US.

For US they need to offer some E segment cars and of course specialty models. I think that freezing plans for E segment Alfa SUV was a big let down for Alfa's prospect at US market. That was Manley's call.

IMO with more cars on offer Alfa would have gain more sells even fro Giulia and Stelvio. Having just two cars in showroom doesn't help.

Ryan likes this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

They are already allowing standalone Jeep dealerships in some areas.

Ernesto, tlc and T_690 like this.
  19. MSwenning

MSwenning Active Member

I believe he meant the stand-alone Jeep dealerships that are already in existence.

tlc and Ryan like this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Yes.