AF: Product, Product, Product | Page 8 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Product, Product, Product

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by ShawnP, Jun 26, 2020.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Most Alfa dealerships are already paired with Maserati now I believe, as the early idea of Fiat/Alfa dealers failed to find enough volunteers (or victims).

Chris mopar and Ryan like this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Which defeats the idea of the barren brands being OK because all the brands are under one roof.

jimboy likes this.
  3. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

The dealers around her are pretty much effectively Jeep/Ram dealers anyway. All they need is the signage change.

jimboy likes this.
  4. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

You know what? I've become kind of bitter about new Jeep and Ram product because of the intentional starvation of the Dodge and Chrysler brands. And I don't really want to buy a Jeep. I think their styling is bland and they're over priced. Every single vehicle I've owned since I was 18 (I'm 41) has been a Mopar and FCA basically doesn't want me as a customer anymore. I don't want to have to go buy some other make but I might have to in the future because Dodge and Chrysler won't exist within I'd say about 5 years.

Ernesto, OneGunzo, jclick and 3 others like this.
  5. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly. Not starvation though, Cannibalism is the correct word. Just like Chrysler and Dodge ate DeSoto and Plymouth, Ram and Jeep will consume Dodge and Chrysler if they are not halted.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  6. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

At some point, Zoomers are going to be looked at CUV/SUVs as mommy-mobiles much like station wagons and minivans have gone, they are going be un-cool. FCA is going to need Chrysler or Dodge to deliver the new cool body style. FCA needs to have a full-line brand. Since Dodge seems to be a more viable brand, they should invest in the brand for the future of the NA market.

jimboy likes this.
  7. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

It isn't just about RAM and Jeep unfortunately, the market trends have driven a lot of the investment. Cars have cratered as a % of the overall market, and outside of large cars and muscle cars, Chrysler and Dodge were never really major players a la Toyota or Honda. I strongly disagreed with abandoning the midsize segment given that globally it still made sense, FCA was investing in Giorgio, and the cars could share a lot of architecture with CUVs, but I understood not allocating capital to those vehicles (marketing, certification, launch, tooling, etc) when funds were so tight. Similarly, Ford and GM have canned their large cars, and even stalwarts such as the Accord have seen sales decline.

That being said, there is no reason that ALL of the CUVs needed to go to Jeep. The CUVs really dilute the Jeep brand (I miss Norm) in a manner that isn't necessary, and from a brand perspective Chrysler would have had the ability to price at the same level as Chrysler products always ran a premium to their Dodge counterpart. Chrysler should have gotten at least one, if not two CUVs. Dodge also should have gotten Giorgio based CUV already, and Journey being retired would be a non-event.

jimboy, Devildodge, cdjr77 and 2 others like this.
  8. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Seems to me Dodge is in the catbird seat. Charger/Challenger are two of the few remaining cars in the US market—and damn fine ones at that!

tabutler and hmk123 like this.
  9. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

Keep em fresh!

tlc and freshforged like this.
  10. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

See, that’s where Marchionne went wrong; his job was not to bet. Successful managers don’t try to pick winners, they plan to methodically and deliberately diversify risk.

FCA’s business is becoming increasingly reliant on sales of Wranglers, Gladiators and Ram pickups for profits. That’s placing the entire enterprise at risk.

11. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Chrysler should be a people's mover brand.

Dodge is a muscle brand.

Which platforms and product/class size and powertrain fits each brand?

I will offer one solution for Chrysler.
    Small Wide based product, SUV. Around 4.65 meters in length. 2 row seats, optionally 3. Base engine 1.5 turbo P2 MHEV ~200 HP, optional 1.3 PHEV with rear e-axle (180 + 60) 240 HP.

And of course one for Dodge.
    Giorgio based product, SUV. Around 2.9 meters wheelbase length with around 4.8 meters in total. Base engine 2.0 BSG/P0 MHEV with around 300 HP. Optionally 2.0 PHEV with around mid 300 to low 400 HP. SRT model with GME T6 P2 MHEV 520 HP engine.

12. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I love that idea. It seems that something like this was a plan at one time, but it apparently got axed, so I'm not holding my breath. Unless it says Ram or Jeep on the hood, it isn't worth their time, apparently.

13. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

Dodge being an exclusive muscle brand is short-sighted. Being muscle cars only will limit sales and turn some people off the nitch brand. Dodge needs a full lineup with a sporty/muscle emphasis. It needs to be competing with Ford, Toyota, Chevy, Honda, and Hyundai. Fill out the brand with a version of the minivan, a midsize CUV and sedan, a small tall hatchback/CUV, and move the Fiat 124 to Dodge. Of course, update the Charger/Challenger and bring on the full-size Durango. BEV and PHEV need to be in the mix. The popularity of trucks/CUV/SUVs will wane at some point, and FCA will need a brand to pick up the slack. I truly believe this generation being raised on CUV/SUVs as family vehicles will look at them as mommy-mobiles and avoid them. Dodge needs to maintain a presence in each segment.

Unfortunately, I feel Chrysler is a lost cause at this point, and has been for a while.

14. Adventurer55

saltydog and valiant67 like this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Yeah... That's a little bit concerning.

16. Adventurer55

This sounds like a man with no guidance from his superiors, and just waiting until Tavares takes the helm.

tabutler likes this.
  17. Powdered Toast Man

I was about to link that article as I just read it. Here's the most telling part:

Didn't we already hear about a next gen Charger/Challenger? Wasn't there a projected release date that was pushed back? Now the head of Dodge brand won't even confirm that any future product even exists.

Dodge and Chrysler both are finished after the merger and once they've finished milking all they can out of the existing models.

I guarantee that if (big IF) a BoF next gen Durango materializes it will wear a Ram badge.

18. CharlesTown Cob

Yes but what about previous articles recently about electrification and the brand? Not quite doom and gloom in those articles.

19. Powdered Toast Man

There has been a lot of talk of future for the brand in the past. However if you read between the lines there's been a change. When you have mainstream publications like MT openly questioning the brand's future and then during a sit down the head of Dodge refused to answer any questions or even make a statement about any future product whatsoever that's a major red flag.

Quambi and Adventurer55 like this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

He did say electrification would be used in the future. And Tavares said a while back that no brands would be cut in the merger.