AF: Product, Product, Product | Page 9 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Product, Product, Product

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by ShawnP, Jun 26, 2020.

1. CharlesTown Cob

A red flag as per who? You can't establish your own guidelines.. Ralph Gillies never mentioned future product either.

Ryan likes this.
  2. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

They had a sit down with the head of Dodge and asked him about the future of the brand and all he had were vague execuspeak platitudes. They asked him if he could even hint at any upcoming models and he refused to comment. He could have said something like, "Well I can't be specific but we have some exciting plans." Instead he just refused to say anything. Combine that with the complete lack of investment in Dodge when it comes to new models or replacement of their near 20 year old sedans, it's pretty clear where this is going.

3. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

While it is somewhat concerning, he also mentioned electrification as being part of Dodge’s future plans. I think it’s foolish to assume the lack of specific response means Dodge is being cut.

And near 20 years old? Do you want to try that again? The Charger has been substantially updated a few times since it was released. Yes, it needs another interior update, though.

HotCarNut, ScramFan and hmk123 like this.
  4. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Isn’t there usually a quiet period during mergers where they can’t reveal as much? Plus, some new products that were planned are probably under review due to the merger. It’s unfortunate but c’est la vie.

Personally I feel this “all new” a bit overhyped in the car industry. There were some Ford platforms for example that go back many years but kept evolving. Plus, if you have a good core there should be no issue with evolutionary updates. I almost feel like the first two “5 year plans” were overly ambiguous when it came to replacements. I do think though the Charger and Challenger did see some nice upgrades. Journey and Caravan didn’t for obvious reasons. At the end of the day it is really only the 300 which unfortunately hasn’t had seen some novelties in recent years. Most everything else including Pacifica has been moving along IMHO. Durango for example is getting a nice new interior.

AvengerGuy, ScramFan and Zagnut27 like this.
  5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yeah, I would imagine that until the merger is finalized and they really sit down and plot the joint path forward for each brand, they're probably unwilling and unable to say too much.

And just because it's the same platform, doesn't mean that the architecture hasn't evolved over the years. Does anyone really believe that the Charger of today is the EXACT same vehicle from when it was first released? Durango? Challenger? Would it be nice to have "all new"? Yes. But "all new" also tends to come with "all new problems".

AvengerGuy, Chris mopar, tlc and 2 others like this.
  6. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

Under the current ownership I wouldn't plan on an expanded Dodge line, they see the entire FCA as one brand that covers everything. The trucks, suv's, minivan, muscle cars, small gas misers etc.

Chris mopar likes this.
  7. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I really thought that the UAW contract recently signed would give hints about what was going to happen at Belvedere. Nothing upcoming was announced. I keep thinking the same thing will happen at Brampton, but I'm beginning to rethink that as well. They have at least two plants that are living on the edge. I think the downturn in sales, which had been coming but accelerated by the virus is weighing heavily on their future plans. My guess is if anything goes on at Brampton it'll be a redo of the current platform and nothing all new. I don't think they really need to reinvent the wheel there, they already have a very good one to start with.

Chris mopar likes this.
  8. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

No, they do not have. The can't improve handling or it's very hard to achieve.

Brampton is the issue. Carriers/cages are big problem.
    Because of this they can't even use Maserati updates and they have big problems in widebody production.

9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

But yet too much of the L car IS old. The too-tall firewall that makes the entire car bulky and forces the interior to be cave-like with less window area. The heavy, ponderous feel driving them that give credence to the "too heavy" complains (even if they really aren't that heavy).

I think if they planned to make the cars last this long, the refreshes should have been more substantial - especially styling of the core of the car.

It is EXACTLY what happened to the LH car. The car that was the impressive new design in 1993 was an old dog in 2004 because of a too-mild refresh that lingered too long.

The odd part to me, as someone active on these forums way back then, was people frequently (and correctly) criticized DCX for the way it let some Chrysler products linger. Now under FCA, people freak out over any criticism of FCA and actually justify the neglect.

#169 valiant67, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  10. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Right there with you. I was around on here at that time and remember it well.

eaglecars likes this.
  11. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

Do you remember that site back then, car-truck.com that had all the future product with accurate renderings and photos. Such a cool site that vanished one day.

12. o_swas

Level III Supporter

YesI remember that site! It was pre LX days. I remember they had a 300 rendering that was mostly spot on. Must have been run by an insider.

eaglecars likes this.
  13. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

It wasn’t, but the owner did end up going to work for Chrysler. Not sure how long that lasted, but it’s a popular move to quell leaks. Something similar happened with the Mac rumor site Think Secret.

eaglecars and o_swas like this.
  14. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

Ooh, fascinating, I either didn't know or had forgotten that.

I remember that one of the last, and perhaps the very last, news on car-truck.com was a rendering/drawing of the LX-platform Chrysler 300C. At the time, I was hoping for something sleek and thought it looked like a brick (okay, I still think it's too square, but the design has also evolved since then). Of course, the first time I saw one in person, I was still impressed!! Anyhow, that was a great site.

As for product, it's not so much the old platforms that get to me as the lack of models...especially car models...

Powdered Toast Man likes this.
  15. hmk123

Level III Supporter

16. hmk123

Level III Supporter

By the way, the article missed a sub brand. All Ford trucks will be under the new brand name “Tough”... :)

17. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member