Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prolonged cranking time GM engines

Discussion in 'Non-Mopar Tech Support' started by AllanC, Sep 21, 2017.

1. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

I have encountered a situation with 2 late model GM engines with an intermittent situation of prolonged cranking time before engine fires and starts. Situation is similar with both vehicles. One vehicle is a 2002 Chevy Avalanche with 5.3 V8. Vehicle has 93,000 miles on the odometer. Some times you can turn the ignition switch to START position, the starter spins the engine 1 - 2 seconds and the engine starts immediately. Other times it take 5 - 7 seconds of cranking time before the engine starts.

This situation occurs randomly and without any pattern; ie it can be cold (ambient temperature) or warm and recently driven. Sometimes immediate start; other times extended crank time before start. Fuel pump pressure has been checked and within specification. No diagnostic trouble codes. Battery and battery cables in good condition.

I suggested to the owner to cycle the ignition switch between OFF and RUN several times to repeatedly prime and pressurize the fuel system before turning the switch to START. Idea was that maybe a fuel pressure bleed-down in the pump might be causing the problem. That exercise has not overcome the issue.

Second vehicle is a 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 4.3 V6 engine. Odometer mileage is at 100,000. Owner is starting to experience the same situation described above with the Avalanche. Sometimes turning ignition to START and engine cranks and starts immediately. Other times extended crank time of 5 - 7 seconds before engine starts. No other engine performance issues present. No diagnostic trouble codes present. Fuel pressure has not been checked.

GM uses a MAF (mass air flow sensor) in the intake to provide data to the ECM (engine control module) so that the ECM can calculate the proper fuel delivery pulse. Can a dirty / contaminated MAF cause this intermittent, prolonged starting engine?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Does fuel pressure hold after shutoff? Sometimes the residual check valve can be intermittent and the lines have to refill and pressurize before it will start?
    Spark should be pretty-much instantaneous after the relay contacts close.

3. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

On the Avalanche Chevy dealer indicated fuel pressure was tested and found to be OK. Vehicle belongs to my brother so I suspect he did not ask any pointed, detailed questions about intermittent fuel bleed down / loss of pressure. So it is possible there might be a problem with fuel pressure. However the owner continues to cycle the ignition key on/off several times before turning to start to prime and pressurize the fuel system. Delayed / prolonged cranking still occurs so I am thinking the issue is NOT fuel pressure bleed down.

As far as the 2007 Silverado owner will try the cycle ignition key on/off several times and see if that alleviates the problem.

Thanks for the response.