AF: ProMaster Crew Cab | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ProMaster Crew Cab

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Cactus, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Cactus

Cactus Member

Does anyone have any information on the Crew Cab ProMaster?

Ideally, I'd be interested in the chassis cab version, but in a pinch would settle for a cargo van with two rows of seats.
    On Ram's site, there's absolutely no info on that.
    However, they did have a crew chassis cab at the first unveiling and they do produce it in other markets.

Also, for the cargo van, I read somewhere that the second row seat with 4-seat capacity would be optional. So far, there's no info for that either. I wonder how much that would be and would it be foldable to accomodate longer loads. They do offer sliding doors with windows, thus it stands to reason that the seat option is on the table.

2. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

I drive a B3500 cargo van, and lacking those windows in the doors makes it occasionally a real pain to pull out into traffic if the angles are unusual.

I've never seen a B-series Dodge or any Ford or GM competitor that had a second row of seats in a cargo van, unless that van was upfit by a conversion-van company or similar or modified by its owner.

3. keithwwalker

keithwwalker Active Member

I think RAM should be selling the crew cab in NA. Think of all the landscaping businesses out there that have crews of 4+. The FIAT Ducato crew cab can have seating for up to 7 people (3 front, 4 rear), and there are also versions with a hydraulic bed 'tipper' in the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I already have an old crew cab VW doka, so I wouldn't buy a crew cab Promaster; but I would like a second row of seating for the Promaster van version. I won't be buying until that option is available with 3 point seatbelts. Hopefully a passenger version is released in 2014 or 15. Chrysler has to learn to NOT be afraid of cutting into their minivan sales - they will be cutting into Mercedes Sprinter sales as MBZ has a crew van!!!

http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/build-and-equip/crew-van

4. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

Keithwwalker, Thanks for sharing the pix. That thing actually looks functional.

5. ccrider77

ccrider77 New Member

The Promaster will be available later in a passenger version. There is a conversion company near the plant where these are built which will be doing the work. I am also keeping a close eye on this as I need to replace my aging B150 passenger van and wish to have removable bench seats and a real interior.

The passenger option will not appear on the Ram website, at least not right away, but will be made available to dealers.

I've also contacted Chrysler directly and they have informed me that the minivan will be going away in favor of a new crossover that's in the works. So competition from another brand model is a non-issue. What may hopefully happen is when this happens, the smallest low-roof ProMaster may be outfitted with windows and seats to fill that gap.

The crew cab would be a very cool little "truck" which I'm sure would be very well received by businesses, especially with the right service bed. I was originally hoping Fiat would bring over the Iveco Daily van and offer it with 4WD as they do in Europe, but no dice.

6. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Usually here in Europe passenger van are built by specialized companies from windows version of the FIAT Ducato (or Peugeot/Citroen sister vans).

One of the most flexible solution is the use of a floor with rails.

[​IMG]

For example the floor of the above photo is made by Handi Care, a company from Norway, if I remember well, that develops products for adaptation of vehicles for the disabled.
    Their flooring system is used by other companies to built passenger vans, mobile offices, ... The main advantage is that You can remove/move seatsand reconfigure the internal space.
    The idea for this floor is derived from the rails flooring systems used in cargo airplanes.

For example Olmedo S.p.A., an italian company, makes office/passenger Ducato passenger vans using Handi Care flooring system.
    Here You find photos of their vans

http://ducatomodulareflexfloor.olmedospa.it/flex-floor-passo-medio.php

Here link to the flooring system (in english)
    http://www.handicare.dk/en/auto-export/Products/M1-Aluminium-Floor/handifloor/
    Here link to the flooring system http://www.handicare.dk/en/auto-export/Products/M1-Aluminium-Floor/handifloor/

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Very nice. I'd ask them if they plan anything here, but they never talk about that...

8. trumpet1234

trumpet1234 New Member

Man, in the future I'd kill for such a versatile vehicle like that. Move anybody and anything, and tow anything or anyone else lol! Getting frustrated with the Geo Prizm at times now that I'm a state away from borrowing a minivan or a van. I've missed out on some sweet future getting tossed, but there was no way I was hiking stuff 5 miles down a highway.

9. Int

Int Active Member

I remember that from my job as an aircraft loader in the 1970s. I've always wondered why that system wasn't adapted elsewhere.

Virtually everything was (is?) held to the rails by spring-loaded clips. Flooring, seats and nearly everything else. All was securely held yet easily removed.

The rails had evenly spaced openings to accept the clips which allowed for many configurations within the cabins.