Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Promaster Musings

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by patfromigh, Dec 14, 2017.

1. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

This thread is in response to Dave's news post on how the Promaster is doing.

I see the full size Promasters all over the place here in the Minneapolis-St. Paul twin cities, they also look great in the USPS livery.

My son manages a fleet that includes both the Ford Transit and Ram Promaster cargo vans along with Transit and Chevy passenger vans. There is a lot of frustration over the Rams not being available in passenger versions. The Ford vans have had issues while the GM products are thirsty. It is possible to buy a Promaster passenger van from a conversion outfitter, but this can't be done on a fleet order.

Another point of frustration is change comes to the Promaster at a glacial pace. Maybe that's a good thing since the Promaster has avoided the teething problems that came with the 9-speed transaxle. Things I would like to see would be the Pacifica's PHEV setup and the BSG mild hybrid.

Now that the new four cylinder is standing at the door, it would be interesting to see if the Iveco Daily hits our shores. The e-Torque from the Wrangler would be great in the Daily. That vehicle could fill in the gaps of the van market the Promaster doesn't cover.

ScramFan and somber like this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

And these vans are a perfect example of what happens when you leave a market. Even when you come back with a supposedly superior product, it is hard to make much of a dent against established entities.

Ian, patfromigh, somber and 1 other person like this.
  3. patfromigh

sarcasm< If the sales people were worth a darn, they could have steered customers towards Ram Power Wagons. After all a 4WD truck has four wheels and is a truck, just like a van.> sarcasm

4. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

I see a decent amount of ProMaster's in the Pacific Northwest, but the majority are the Ford Transit vans and the Nissan NV Cargo Van's. Next to zero Chevy City Express and next to zero Nissan NV200. A MAJORITY are older Econoline's and Chevy Express vans. They outnumber any of the newer products by far.

The USPS here has one Ram ProMaster they use in the urban areas, haven't seen more then one. Otherwise they use the old Grumman trucklets.

FedEx has many Mercedes Sprinter vans and Freightliner Sprinters as well as many new Nissan NV Cargo vans, which are replacing the Sprinters.

Have seen a decent amount new Mercedes Metris vans, which surprised me. Didn't think anyone would buy them, but they are being bought.

In short, I see a good amount of ProMaster vans, but next to zero ProMaster City vans.

Ian likes this.
  5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Just today was presented the new Fiat Ducato minibus in two variants 14 seater and 17 seater (13 + driver and 16 + driver).
    Here comes the new Fiat Professional Ducato Minibus (at http://www.fiatpress.com/press/article/here-comes-the-new-fiat-professional-ducato-minibus )
    There is already the 9 persons shuttle.
    [​IMG]

Engine diesel 2.3 liter 130 CV or 150 CV and 3.0 natural gas 140 CV.
    The 2.3 F1A with the 2.0 liter for smaller vans are the only diesel engines used nowdays in the Ducato.
    3.0 F1C diesel engine is now only used in IVECO Daily.
    F1C is the diesel engine used by Ram Promaster, even if was not in the market since almost a year (no certification, but now should have again).

CNT900, somber and patfromigh like this.
  6. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

Those headlights look SO much better than the Promaster headlights.

JavelinAMX, DarkSky and GasAxe like this.
  7. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The new front parts have another advantage, it is easier to make maintenance to headlights (lamps and aligment) and lowers a little bit costs for damaged front fascia.

somber likes this.
  8. CNT900

Level 2 Supporter

I wish we got the Iveco Daily instead of the Fiat Ducato.

9. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

QUESTION: When a van is upgraded by a third party to a passenger version do they have to meet strict federal safty standards.? Yes I know the seats have seat belts but that is common and cheap common sence.

10. patfromigh

That's a good question. Right now I really miss Bob S watching these forums.

JavelinAMX and ScramFan like this.
  11. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

There has to be some leeway for such things.
    Otherwise each and everyone of them would have to crash test and certify each and every model and version.
    They would go broke.

somber and tomit like this.
  12. voiceofstl

Can chrysler make a "passenger ready" with a nod and a wink. A promaster with floor carpet, side panels and headliner and of course windows. But with no seats. A basic interior like the Vans "wagons" we had in the 80's and 90's.
    So instead 10 grand or more at a upconverter its only 1500-2000 more.

13. valiant67

Level III Supporter

They may as well install the seats from the factory, as the import laws favor passenger van imports. Don’t know if it’s still true but many cargo vans are imported with seats due to the “chicken tax”.

somber likes this.
  14. voiceofstl

But then you have all kind of federal regulations for safty that are to expensive.. I have seen the euoro versions and thier seats look very safe to me, but you know the feds.."it has to be our way" .

15. valiant67

Level III Supporter

Still likely cheaper than throwing seats in at the factory, throwing those seats away (which is done with the cargo vans) the putting different seats in.

Dave Z likes this.
  16. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

A Ram Promaster City arrives in Baltimora as a passengers vehicle, with rear seats and windows, than is transformed in a van.
    Looking a Fiat Doblò Maxi cargo and a Ram Promaster City one can notice the differences from the outside.

In the Doblò cargo van in the lateral door there is no to cut for the window.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other big difference is that in the Doblò cargo the sliding door on driver's side is optional.

17. patfromigh

Mercedes currently imports semi knocked downs kits (SKD) for the Sprinter and Metris. Each van is partially assembled and placed in a box to be fully assembled in South Carolina. They have been doing this since Dodge sold a version of the Sprinter. Next year Sprinters will be fully built here as Daimler upgrades the plant. They are hiring workers now, BTW. I don't know where the engines and other drivetrain parts will come from.

Iveco and SAIC, meanwhile, skipped a few generations of Daily vans this year and they're currently building the latest generation Daily vans in China. If I ran the circus, I would be importing the Daily as knock downs from China and adding North American drivetrain parts and interiors.

ScramFan and Dave Z like this.
  18. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Body parts for Ram Promaster are already sent from italian plant to mexican plant for Ram Promaster. Probably since they reduce stamping costs.

Daily shares some parts with Fiat Ducato / Ram Promaster / PSA brothers.

As for Iveco Daily now includes new minibuses, motorhome bases and ecp-friendly vehicles were put under "blue power" umbrella (they have a blue color in front).

[​IMG]
    Tourys, Line, Start (base model) + "Blue Power" (for italian market there is an additional schoolbus).

For all (except the electric) is standard or optional the ZF 8HP LCV transmission.

Blue Power minibuses for now is CNG and should arrive the electric one soon.

#18 MJAB, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    somber and ScramFan like this.
  19. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Blue Power.

Three powertrains: F1C 3.0 natural gas (CNG), F1A 2.3 diesel Euro 6 ready RDE 2020 and electric with Fiamm SoNick batteries (molten salts ZEBRA battery).

20. voiceofstl

What happens to all those seats? Thrown away ? Shipped back to europe?