Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prophet Of The Carpocalypse

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by 77 Monaco Brougham, Nov 7, 2017.

1. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

JA Cumbo likes this.
  2. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Used to really admire Lutz being a “car guy” and all. But lately i’m thinking he should just fade away. He’s sounding more like the seniors at McDonalds nursing their senior coffee for hours complaining about those 3rd graders. Oh wait a minute, that’s those 4th graders in the commercial. But they nail the “old guys” bit!

3. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

I have to agree with what he says. As Erik Latranyi has said, when it becomes obvious that autonomous cars are dramatically reducing highway deaths, the push to get human-driven cars off the road will become hard to stop.

I would love a peek at an alternate timeline in which Lutz got the reins to Chrysler instead of Eaton.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  4. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Or......better yet......an alternate timeline in which the Airflows had been a raging success instead of the lukewarm disappointing reception they received. This way.....the company wouldn't have been too frightened to do anything too daring or "cutting edge" for decades to come....

Instead.....there would have been confidence to continue innovation on engineering, styling, and other fronts.

Poor Chrysler......our star-crossed love.

AvengerGuy, jimboy and somber like this.
  5. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

I'm posting an article where Waymo has fully autonomous cars on the roads with no driver. Level 4 autonomous vehicles are here.

somber likes this.
  6. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

I have a question. What does the autonomous car do in those situations where you have to force your way through an intersection to make a left turn or to get through the pedestrians who never create a window of opportunity? I ask this from experience(living in DC) and I always wonder if the autonomous car would sit for 5 cycles of the light or forever if there is no light. drivers behind the autonomous vehicle would get really mad and traffic flow would be hampered big time. I know there are other situations like this. How will these problems be solved? If all cars were autonomous it wouldn't be a problem I know, but I don't see people giving up the keys to personal transportation for a long, long time.

7. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I agree with Bob Lutz. But I doubt humans will relinquish the steering wheel within the timeframe he predicts. Not so much because of an enthusiasm for driving, but out of fear for our safety.

Technology is nowhere near the point where we are willing to trust the Ubers and Lyfts to move us around safely. Computer hacking and extreme weather patterns loom as growing risks that are going to make it difficult, for the foreseeable future, for humans to trust computers with their lives.

#7 aldo90731, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Stéphane Dumas, GasAxe and jclick like this.
  8. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I do see an immediate acceptance in large metro areas though. During times of inclement weather, it will be easier to recall the fleet then send them back out once roads are clear. I get the impression that people would rather risk problems with a computer driving, than risk having a negative interaction with a cab/uber driver. Like pay at the pump or self checkout lines at the grocery store, people are getting more and more comfortable with automation that used to involve an attendant.

aldo90731 likes this.
  9. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Indeed. But safety remains a key hurdle that we haven’t had to overcome adopting self checkout lines and other types of new technologies.

Physical safety will emerge as the ultimate test for the technology sector.