AF: PSA and FCA formally agree to merge | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA and FCA formally agree to merge

Discussion in 'Peugeot, Citroën, DS (PSA)' started by T_690, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

To make a car like that means tapping the creative people in the organization, setting a goal with them, and proceeding with your goal to the end while assuming some portion of people will follow along. SM could not do that. He would change something numerous times to align it with the market and whim and current FCA direction, and in any case was a control freak. Maybe Manley can unleash the creative people.

2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Are there any creative people working for FCA anymore? I'm not talking about truck and Jeep designers. I'm talking about people that have a forward thinking vision. This Airflow concept, was it penned by an FCA employee? Or was it outsourced? I love the look, but if nothing comes of it, then it's a waste.

3. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Ralph, but I'm starting to think he's spread pretty thin.

4. Adventurer55

Ralph seems more of a figurehead then anything else anymore.

hotmach, page2171 and valiant67 like this.
  5. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Not a fan of the Airflow IP but I've grownup with gauges in my face, don't like fussing with controls in center stack. The body of the vehicle looks more like unfinished clay and a suggestion of the shape. Looks like the hard for me to digest EV front everyone is throwing out there. I do like what to me looks like a large station wagon design. Looks close to a 1946 Plymouth Delux fastback in size, I like thase vehicles because they had awesome room inside. Just a review from a 74 year old.

jimboy, djsamuel and BASONE88 like this.
  6. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

My old man is about your age, and the only cars he ever talks about are his 62 Savoy police car and the 69 Charger 318 he replaced it with. The 62 Plymouth has a good story you never forget. Somebody asked how fast it would run, and my grandmother was within earshot (IIRC, they were all in the car, some car anyway) and Dad said she voiced her displeasure at his answer. His reply put a stop to that when he retorted that she taught him never to lie.

jerseyjoe and page2171 like this.
  7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I'm your old man's age and I also owned a '62 Savoy police car for awhile. But this is the '62 that I'm especially partial to as it was one of the cars that spearheaded Plymouth's legendary performance reputation starting that year.....and that I was there to see it's record setting performances.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Photos shot by me at the old Half Moon Bay dragstrip) :cool:

BASONE88, Mr. Fusion, Tony K and 3 others like this.
  8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I am pretty sure he runs Design...

tlc, jorisr, djsamuel and 1 other person like this.
  9. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

That concept i know what done at fca, the concept was primarily an interior design concept

10. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

He runs head of global design. He doesn't do sketching or design work anymore. He's the one that has the push people in certain directions across the globe

djsamuel likes this.
  11. Adventurer55

He may well be the head of it. With that said, what has he really had his hand in lately? Virgil Exner was head of design, and everything from the company had his signature on it until he was let go. Even Elwood Engle was the same, Tom Gale as well. What was the last car or truck that he actually had his pen involved in?

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

How do you guys know that?

jorisr likes this.
  13. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

AlfaCuda likes this.
  14. Ernesto

Ernesto Active Member

I once approached Clinton-Sherman AFB from the south at 140 mph driving a buddy's 1967 Plymouth GTX 440 V-8, 3 speed Torqueflite. My personal ride was a 1967 3 speed column shift 318 V-8 Plymouth 2 door hardtop Belvidere. I liked both cars.

15. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

https://seekingalpha.com/article/43...-on-q4-2019-results-earnings-call?part=single

Mike Manley

Now, as you know, during 2019, the group reinstated the payment of ordinary dividends after nearly a decade. And based on our strong 2019 results and as previously announced, we plan to pay a €1.1 billion ordinary dividend to our shareholders this spring, subject to customary approval by our Board and shareholders.

So, now, let me give you some context to why I see 2019 as such a pivotal year for FCA and how the actions we have taken and intend to take will ensure our continued position as a leading global OEM. Now, clearly, the most significant action taken was in December, when we signed a binding combination agreement with PSA for a 50-50 merger that will create the third largest global OEM by revenues.

Multiple work streams related to both closing preparation and integration planning are in place and are being led by senior leadership at both companies and we do not anticipate any significant hurdles to close in the transaction, either by the end of this year or early in 2021.

Now, just to remind you, we target annual synergies of at least €3.7 billion at steady state, with cumulative implementation costs of approximately €2.8 billion. And there are three major drivers for the synergies. The first driver, which accounts for 40% and relates to platform and powertrain convergence, optimizing our investments in R&D and improving manufacturing processes and tooling efficiencies.

The second driver, also at 40%, is about purchasing savings, where we will leverage our larger scale to improve product costs and gain access to new suppliers, particularly for electric and high-tech components.

Now these actions reinforce our drive towards clean and affordable mobility. Now clean and affordable mobility means that we need to be cost competitive in buying all the electrical powertrain components and batteries. And that means the volume scale effect coming from the size of the new co will be paramount to ensure we deliver the cost competitiveness we need.

And the third driver, which accounts for 20% of the total, will be related to multiple areas such as marketing, IT systems, logistics, and administration efficiencies. Now, these synergies will be net cash flow positive from year one and we expect from our planning to deliver approximately 80% of the total synergies by year four.

pumadog likes this.
  16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I remember Daimler saying the same things. I believe Manley more.

17. Adventurer55

It all depends on how it proceeds. If they leverage the best of both companies then they will succeed. I hope the egos can be checked at the door.

AvengerGuy, Tony K and tlc like this.
  18. BASONE88

Supporter

2026 and beyond should be interesting!:)

Tony K likes this.
  19. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

I'll be lucky if I'm able to drive further than the supermarket a mile away by then, hope my 09 Challenger lasts that long.

Beentherebefore and hmk123 like this.
  20. hmk123

Level III Supporter

My 2010 R/T is still going strong! It sat for a while though so only has 35k miles on it. Driving it a lot more these days and still is a great and fun car!