AF: PSA and FCA formally agree to merge | Page 6 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA and FCA formally agree to merge

Discussion in 'Peugeot, Citroën, DS (PSA)' started by T_690, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Just a side note here, but I just felt I had to say this (as it is kind of merger related, though more to the Fiat-Chrysler merger).

I just read a C&D article from a link on Facebook about Ferrari suing a charity over a name. But that isn’t what caught my attention. I feel I always have to read the comments section, not because I feel there will be useful information exchanged, it’s more for the morbid fascination in regards to the absolute uniformed BS that people will spew.

The very first comment that I read stated something along the lines of “Ferrari sold out to Chrysler”. (Insert tactical facepalm). I commented with a factual response...I probably should’ve let it go, as I’m sure I’ll get the usual idiotic responses, but I couldn’t help myself.

I just wanted to take the time to thank @Dave Z for creating, along with all the mods, a refuge here where we can all visit and discuss with factually correct information presented, and thanks to all the members here who contribute and help to maintain this environment too. I know a lot has been made of the “negativity”, but over all this is a pretty cool place to visit and especially to learn (I’ve learned a TON here).

Thanks, just my 2 cents. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. shiat:)

2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Thanks, Zagnut.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  3. Chris mopar

Chris mopar Well-Known Member

Speaking of people who don’t know what their talking about, I read an article in a business mag, can’t remember which one, they had an article of cars that have been discontinued for 2020, they listed the Chrysler 300 as being discontinued and that it was a Ford product and it would likely be replaced by an electric car this year.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

There were a lot of incredibly stupid articles about Chrysler in 2007-09.
    Back when Daimler was working on the “merger,” business magazines praised it, saying that Chrysler had styling and Daimler had engineering. They apparently had not noticed all the engineering firsts Chrysler was racking up under Francois Castaing, or the fact that engineering includes _costs_ (that is, making something slightly better at ten times the price is not an engineering accomplishment.)

5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

There were a lot of incredibly stupid articles about Chrysler in 2007-09.
    Back when Daimler was working on the “merger,” business magazines praised it, saying that Chrysler had styling and Daimler had engineering. They apparently had not noticed all the engineering firsts Chrysler was racking up under Francois Castaing, or the fact that engineering includes _costs_ (that is, making something slightly better at ten times the price is not an engineering accomplishment.)

6. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

#106 77 Monaco Brougham, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  7. BASONE88

Supporter

Yup, Iveco is basically going to beat Tesla to market with emission neutral class 8 trucks (in part because of a little company started in Utah and now headquartered out of Arizona).

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Did Nikola Tesla actually design electric cars? Edison created a battery type which is still used, albeit not in cars, and lobbied Henry Ford to do electric cars (to no avail); as I recall he also designed a new traction engine for electric trains. Realizing, of course, that now people claim Tesla designed the Mac and iPhone and Edison never invented anything (other than commercial R&D, record players, movies, and the entire electric light, generation, and distribution industry, but that’s nothing!)

Moving on - it would be amazing if Iveco did lead in electric class 8s, though I think Cummins has been there for a while.

PowerDrive for Electric Trucks | Cummins Inc. (at https://www.cummins.com/electrification/powerdrive-for-electric-trucks )

djsamuel and Tony K like this.
  9. jglen490

jglen490 Well-Known Member

These mergers (past, present, future) are all well and good, I'm just hoping that some revitalization of the Chrysler/Dodge product lines will result - and soon. It's nice to have the new Pacifica and all that, but there are some really long in the tooth models on the showroom floors. As much as I like my 2015 T&C, it's almost time to shop for something new and it's going to be very hard to justify the "same old, same old".

Ernesto likes this.
  10. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Nikola Tesla is one of the developers of multi phase alternating current induction motor. To be more precise Galileo Ferraris developed a three phase alternating current induction motor in 1885, Tesla, indipendentily, developed it in 1887. Tesla patented it in U.S.A. in 1887. The Tesla - Westinghouse deal start on that invention. Westinghouse also licensed for U.S.A. Ferraris’ patent.

Modern electric cars, at least more powerful ones, use multipole AC induction motors since it allows to generate more power / torque than permanent magnets ones.

That said names are also selected between the ones not already used or subject to trademark rights.

BASONE88 and AlfaCuda like this.
  11. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

12. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

I apologize for the off-topic sidenote but now then we got a PSA section in the forum who mention Peugeot, Citroen and DS. I suggest to add Opel/Vauxhall in the list as well since they bought it from GM despite then we still think then Opel/Vauxhall is part of GM after all these years. :oops:

13. plymouth1

plymouth1 Well-Known Member

I think the Peugeot logo looks pretty cool. Other than that I have not seen anything about this company that has me even remotely excited that they are being added. Hoping for the best though like always.