AF: PSA Looking at FCA .....Again?? | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA Looking at FCA .....Again??

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by dartndodge, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

2.4L in my 2011 200 and my wife's 2012 200 have been GREAT. 106K miles and 76K miles, respectively. Neither leaks a drop of any fluid, and neither uses more than 1/2 qt of oil in 4,000 miles between changes. Plenty of power for these cars, only noisy when you get on the throttle. And that's mostly because the automatic kicks down to too low a gear, RPMs sometimes hit 5000 just to accelerate moderately onto the highway.

2. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Correct me if I’m wrong
    This is a partnership not a merger or acquisition right? I would think the goal here is to consolidate costs of development powertrains (as I believe was Sergio’s goal) and the possibilities of breaking into new markets.

I don’t foresee fca falling under the lash of their new Peugeot overlords.

3. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

My experience if fine but i'm not blind to the fact that the 2.4 multiair is poopies for a lot of people

4. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Once again that is the OLD 2.4, the "new" 2.4 multiair is a different beast and will mess your day up fast if you get one that hates you

5. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I was talking about PSA aligning with GM, not FCA. Sorry, I didn't explain it the best.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  6. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

An article from the Detroit News talks of an alliance. My guess it'll close to the Renault-Nissan one.
    Howes: An FCA-PSA alliance? Rule nothing out. (at https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/columnists/daniel-howes/2019/03/08/fca-psa-tie-up-talk-fuels-auto-intrigue/3095150002/ )

If that scenario came to fruitition, how should we call it. FCP (Fiat-Chrysler-Peugeot)? FCPC (Fiat-Chrysler-Peugeot-Citroen)? Auto-Union (an ancestor of Audi but I doubt VW will allow to use the name rights)? Etc....

7. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

In all the press coverage I've followed so far on this story...there is still one BIG question hanging out there that I have not heard asked...let alone answered:

What does the Government of France and Dongfeng think of all this?

For me, THIS is the $40 Billion question (I would have typed the Euro symbol, but I can't figure out how to get my ancient computer to do it).;)

8. Stéphane Dumas

To complicate things, the French government still own a small stake (15-20%) of Renault. Back when former French President Nicholas Sarkozy once dreamed of a merger of Renault and Peugeot to create a French GM.

9. Stéphane Dumas

I bump this thread by mentionning this French article. PSA et FCA-Fiat-Chrysler mariés dans l’année ? (at https://www.caradisiac.com/psa-et-fca-fiat-chrysler-maries-dans-l-annee-174947.htm )

The interesting part of that article is the conclusion of this article. A quick summary is in the case of FCA-PSA wedding/alliance, what'll be the fate of Fiat? Philippe Varin, the former CEO of Peugeot-Citroen thought of positionning Citroen as a low-cost division but if Fiat enter in scene. It could be Fiat taking this role of low-cost going after Dacia.

And one commenter nicknamed "Smartboy" mentionned then the history of Peugeot-Citroen, Fiat and Chrysler have some ties. Citroen owned once Maserati before being forced to sell it. Chrysler owned a small stake of Maserati who gived us the TC Maserati, Fiat owned Maserati later. Peugeot acquired Chrysler-Europe (Simca, Talbot, Rootes/Hillman/Sunbeam) and Simca beginned by importing Fiats models in France before building them under licence.

10. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

It All Sounds Really Complicated to Me !

11. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

Also, who's to say the current US administration would be receptive to such a marriage/merger between PSA and FCA?

The current US President has no problem speaking his mind on automotive decisions...ask GM's Mary Barra about that.

12. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

What leverage, beside making a scene for the media to eat up, does the US govt have over a Dutch company?

13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

And in both cases, he can talk all he wants, but it has nothing to do with the decisions the automakers face. Mary Barra did not change anything in response to Trump's tweets or comments, partly, I think, because he is not judicious (or, in some cases, factually based) in his use of criticism of corporations.

If GM was to respond as other companies (e.g. Carrier) did, they would promise to keep the plant open, then shut it down as scheduled.

14. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

FCA is made of 3 companies. FCA US, FCA Italy and Maserati. They have additional subsidiaries.

15. 77 Monaco Brougham

Sometime before his passing (I wish I could remember exactly when)...I remember Sergio having said something to the effect that...if no partner was found...that FCA could "continue alone in mediocrity".

I took that to mean that, with the sort of volume a firm the size of FCA has (somewhere around 4.8 million)...that there IS a future, but perhaps not the BRIGHTEST future. I think that could also apply to PSA (somewhere around 3.9 million).

Just my US $0.02, but at the size PSA and FCA are individually at the moment, I think the long term future for either entity alone is not the brightest. Also, each entity is very unbalanced geographically as to where most of each company's profits are derived.

To me, that stark reality doesn't look very pretty.

16. Dan Minick

Level III Supporter

Alt 0128 ;)

17. 77 Monaco Brougham

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it didn't work on my ancient machine.
    I was puzzled as to why it didn't work until it dawned on me that your tip was probably meant for a Windows or Mac machine.
    Apparently, Linux has its own particular way of doing things, and after finding the appropriate Linux tech support, problem solved!

Thanks again
    Alt-Right + 5 ;)

#37 77 Monaco Brougham, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  18. Stéphane Dumas

Some food for thought, in various older threads, there was mention of the "Jeep curse". I think it was Bearhawke who mentionned the only one who could be the one the end that curse might be GM. So, I guess then Peugeot-Citroen had taken some GM family tree/DNA (Opel-Vauxhall) before being in contact with FCA? :rolleyes:

Citation84 likes this.
  19. 77 Monaco Brougham

Now I know this thread is starting to go off the rails when we start delving into superstitions.:D

As a fan of the Boston Red Sox, I've spent most of my life listening to WAY too many other fans crying and moaning about "curses" and "jinxes" being responsible for the misfortunes of the franchise for most of the last century...when...in reality...it was really a combination of poor ownership, poor and / or incompetent management, racism, and, last but not least, having to play in the same division as the New York Yankees. Enough about superstitions, already.;)

After all, Damnliar owned Jeep once upon a nightmare, and are still alive to tell the tale.

After all these years, I still feel a sense of relief (and surprise) that Damnliar didn't keep its claws firmly into Jeep...(or Ram, for that matter).

#39 77 Monaco Brougham, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    GasAxe and AmbassadorSST like this.
  20. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

Daimler is probably kicking themselves for not keeping Jeep and the Dodge Ram truck line now, seeing how well both brands are doing now.
    Of course, who's to say if Daimler would of handled both brands as well as FCA has?
    I wouldn't of bet money on it...

tlc and ScramFan like this.