AF: PSA talking to FCA | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA talking to FCA

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by edvan, Mar 7, 2019.

1. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

LOL...they got plenty of FIAT studios to launch Peugeots from.
    I think if such a merger did happen, FIAT would exit the US.
    Would Peugeot suffer from the same standoffishness that US buyers have towards FIAT's? The auto market is cooling off it seems...Peugeot would have to have out of the park offerings to get US buyers motivated to buy their cars.

Citation84 likes this.
  2. Dan Minick

Level III Supporter

Keep in mind that PSA now owns Opel & Vauxhall brands as well. They are still digesting that.

PSA is already in the USA, just not 'selling cars' but 'renting them'. Free2Move (at http://us.free2move.com )

Free2move may or may not succeed in the USA, but things like this are coming, and the snowball is starting to roll downhill.
    More info about free2move: FREE2MOVE LEASE (at https://www.globalfleet.com/en/company/free2move-lease )

p.s. Here's a recent quote from Tavares (from wikipedia):

Tavares announced that he wants Opel to keep its German brand identity and to embrace it, and that he would leverage Opel's pedigree of German engineering and Motorsport and use the company's heritage to reach markets and customers that may not consider a French car due to perceived reliability issues. He also announced that the Opel and Vauxhall brands would be elevated to new heights within Groupe PSA, including the sale of Opel and Vauxhall-branded vehicles outside Europe for the first time in many decades. He also acknowledged the possibility of the Opel and Vauxhall brands being instrumental in the launch of Groupe PSA in North America for the first time in many years.

#42 Dan Minick, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Citation84 likes this.
  3. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is absolutely no demand in NA for more contemporary vehicle brands. I just don't see anything that Opel and Vauxhall brings to the table that is unique enough to carve sales out of a overly crowded field. If people want German engineering they go for VW or BMW/MB. Reliability; Toyota/Honda. Price; Hyundai/Kia. Style/something different; Mini, Fiat, Tesla, Jeep, Alfa. Plus there are The Big 3 hometeam brands. O/V in the US is a delusion of grandeur IMHO.:rolleyes:

Tony K, AmbassadorSST, jclick and 2 others like this.
  4. Dan Minick

Level III Supporter

#44 Dan Minick, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It would sell few cars outside the areas where electric vehicles are heavily incentivized. That is the pattern of every other EV in the US.

Citation84 likes this.
  6. AmbassadorSST

It's easier to make the Opels into domestic offerings like GM did with Saturns, Chevys, and what they currently do with the Buick Regal/Tour X.

To try and re-enter with a new car brand when the US market when it is currently retracting...no way.
    Alfa's sales projections were initially way off from what FCA thought that brand would sell re-entering the US car market.

7. AmbassadorSST

The only way Opel would make it in the US is if it's cars were rebadged as Chryslers.

Citation84 and Ernesto like this.
  8. Dan Minick

Level III Supporter

Why is that?

9. AmbassadorSST

Because the auto market is contracting and the US is brand saturated.
    Average US drivers would be adverse to buying an unknown foreign entity (like Opel, Citroen, Peugeot) over other established well known brands.
    People at least know what a Chrysler is...it would be an easier sell.

Citation84, djsamuel and Ernesto like this.
  10. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I agree, but the word has been PSA wants their brands in NA, not just to build NA products. However, I could see where the media would miss the nuance and PSA would actually be agreeable to "re-enter" the NA market by building vehicles for established brands.

Tony K likes this.
  11. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

And right there is why FCA needs to pass on this. Peugeot would sell three cars a year and Citroen, one car. They had it easy with Opel and Vauxhall, they were very established European brands.

12. Dan Minick

Level III Supporter

I think that argument holds true for 'traditional auto buyers' perhaps. However, the game is about to change.
    Tesla makes the argument that the S sells more than MB Sclass, Audi A8, BMW 7 series, in the US by a significant margin. The counter argument is that Telsa S is really more of a price/size competitor to MB Eclass, A6, BMW 5, which is does not sell more than, HOWEVER it is in the running as a significant competitor to them.

Where was the name 'Tesla' 10 years ago? Rivian is launching next year, Lynk is launching in the US in the near future, Volvo's Polestar brand is taking orders now.
    What's tough to predict is whether brands carry equity or baggage going forward.
    Everyone shops at Sears, right? Like it or not, retail has been turned on its head, and the old rules don't apply. The same is about to happen in the automotive sector.

Tony K and AlfaCuda like this.
  13. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

No offense to Carlos Tavares but Peugeot and Citroen had better chances to be sold as reskinned Chrysler and Dodge.

Still, it's a wonder how Peugeot menage to be in Australia who's a much smaller market then the North American market along with its old rival Renault.
    PEUGEOT AU | New Cars and SUVs | Motion & Emotion (at https://www.peugeot.com.au )
    Renault Australia: Find Prices, Offers and Dealers (at http://www.renault.com.au )

Citation84 likes this.
  14. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Chrysler and Dodge are still viable brands. It would be far far cheaper to invest products from wherever into these brands. Alfa has seen a truckload of cash dumped on it's doorstep, and imho the jury is still out on the value of that move. If these companies want to be truly multinational, then concentrate your brands where they can sell cars.

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  15. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The old Citroen DS formula (sans the hydraulic suspension) was produced by the pre-Daimler Chrysler Corporation in the 1990s. The LH series cars were sold under the Chrysler, Dodge and Eagle brands. The previous badge engineered Renault sold as the Eagle Premier and Dodge Monaco didn't sell so well.

Yet the pariah brand in the USA, which happens to be Fiat, has established a beachhead in the EV hotspots around the country with the 500e compliance car. FCA overcame that model's early teething problems, earning significant credibility with the green crowd. Fiat still has a chance to remake itself in the USA.

I might add that GM lost a lot of credibility when they scraped the Voltec technology and now rely the Bolt for an environmentally aware flagship. Too many people in places of advocacy know that the Bolt is basically a cheap Chevy subcompact with LG engineering and technology. Fiat was honest about the use of Bosch technology in their 500e. When the reality distortion feel around Tesla wavers it will be interesting who is still standing.

BASONE88 and Tony K like this.
  16. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

And it didn't helped then the Premier/Monaco didn't got lots of advertising on magazines and tv ads compared to the Dynasty/New Yorker and Spirit/Acclaim.

17. hmk123

Level III Supporter

What if Opel licensed their cars to GM and sold them as Buicks in the US? :)

18. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I would go as far as saying without the French influence (Francois Castaing, etc.) we would have a different (if one at all) Chrysler today. Premier/Monaco led to the LH cars. Without AMC we would have probably just seen a K-Car evolution. And while Mopar had the trucks I am sure the (Grand) Cherokees were a huge part of its nineties success...

#59 hmk123, Mar 25, 2019
  19. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

"People at least know what a Chrysler is".....Do we?...Do we really?

Look up the term "identity crisis" on an internet dictionary, and you will see the Chrysler winged logo.

As for Opel...it's not entirely unknown. Many of us older people remember that for many years Opels were sold as captive imports by Buick. And speaking for myself, I never saw Opel as a brand with "baggage". At least with Opel, you could try to appeal to the crowd who are hesitant about any domestic brands by stressing the "German Engineering".

I would much rather take my chances and pump some money into Opel, which doesn't carry the sort of stigma that Chrysler does.

(Scurrying back to my mud hut before the rocks and bricks hit me!);)

#60 77 Monaco Brougham, Mar 25, 2019
    Tony K and wvutuba like this.