AF: PSA will be merged into FCA | Page 12 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA will be merged into FCA

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by T_690, Feb 26, 2020.

1. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

2. purplepassengerpete

purplepassengerpete Active Member

Merger is still going forward. Some people that I know are currently being transferred to PSA.

Ernesto likes this.
  3. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Can someone remind me what the date of the merger will be?

4. purplepassengerpete

Ernesto and hmk123 like this.
  5. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

No antitrust?

6. Mopar International

Mopar International Active Member

Antitrust does not cover exchange of personnel.

Good info here:
    M&A 101: What antitrust law means for M&A | PitchBook (at https://pitchbook.com/news/articles/ma-101-what-antitrust-law-means-for-mergers-and-acquisitions )

What kinds of business practices can come under scrutiny when a particular M&A transaction is reviewed?

The main antitrust issue during the review of an M&A transaction is whether the acquisition will substantially lessen competition.

Since the antitrust laws include M&A activity in the scope of potentially anticompetitive conduct, a transaction can be banned just as, for example, two companies agreeing to fix prices would be prohibited. The HSR Act was designed to give the Agencies the ability to review certain mergers before they are completed, and it imposes procedural requirements that parties are required to follow before closing on those transactions. Importantly, the antitrust laws are not limited to pending mergers (even closed transactions can be deemed illegal and thus unwound), and mergers and acquisitions that are not subject to the HSR review process, or even ones that have been cleared during the process, can still be investigated or even declared illegal later.

purplepassengerpete likes this.
  7. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

You are referring about US. I'm talking about the EU.

EU is much more severe on ruling out mergers than US. The are also very keen on impeding high penalties in those who broke antitrust before the merger is completed.

Also AFAIK in Europe ordinary employees of FCA and PSA are forbidden to talk to each other about future joint plans. That's big no. But at the same time it's not so restricted in US. I'm wonder why.:rolleyes:

Actually the last week was the first time when some of FCA European workers had video presentation of some PSA products.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  8. Mopar International

"whether the acquisition will substantially lessen competition" is the same the world over.

Give us some links to EU antitrust to show personnel is not allowed to talk to each other.

9. purplepassengerpete

I'm not really knowledgeable in antitrust laws so I really can't speak to that. Like I said they are currently in the process, by the time they get to Europe and actually start working everything will probably be ok. I don't think FCA/PSA have any plans to break antitrust laws.

10. Mopar International

Your link is just talking about LCV market share.
    "The Commission launched a four-month long probe last month, concerned that the deal to create the world’s fourth-biggest carmaker may hurt competition in small vans in 14 EU countries and Britain."
    Here is some EU info:

Antitrust: Overview – Competition - European Commission (at https://ec.europa.eu/competition/antitrust/overview_en.html )

Antitrust legislation – Competition - European Commission (at https://ec.europa.eu/competition/antitrust/legislation/legislation.html )

Competition rules and antitrust laws in the EU (at https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/selling-in-eu/competition-between-businesses/competition-rules-eu/index_en.htm )

Antitrust Law in the European Union - A Peer-Reviewed Academic Articles | GBR (at https://gbr.pepperdine.edu/2010/08/antitrust-law-in-the-european-union/ )

I can not find information that personnel from amalgamating companies are not allowed to have contact, or share research information, or have meetings to discuss future design.

I have a fair amount of design contact with people in the car industry in EU and the 2 I spoke to today both said: nonsense.

So, I think you are wrong.

11. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

@Mopar International

No joint development before the merger is completed with only exception of previously established cooperation.

12. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

FCA and FCA already had person working together, that because of SEVEL joint venture and other projects they work together.
    For example Faurecia, that is PSA owned, supplkies parts for FCA vehicles, Marelli (prior FCA sell) was a supplier of PSA. Than there are also FCA's Teksid (csat iron that was sold recently to Tupy), FCA's Comau, ...
    There were also joint ventures between Magneti Marelli and Faurecia, for example one is in Goiana (Brazil) and sources the FCA Plant.
    Why Faurecia has a plant in Toledo?

#234 MJAB, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    T_690 likes this.
  13. moparfan06

moparfan06 Well-Known Member

14. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

"Stellantis"

Bland, inoffensive, and as expected. it's fine for what will be a holding corporation, and it avoids the problems of choosing which brand names survive in the final name.

pumadog and tabutler like this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I really like that name. Sounds modern, like a company that is ready to progress into the future.

Tony K likes this.
  16. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

17. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

It’s kind of reminds me “Stargate: Atlantis”, one of my favourite shows ever, which is great.

That show was also cancelled after five seasons, which is not so great.

danbek and Mr. Fusion like this.
  18. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

5 seasons, it got a good run. Knight Rider only got 4 seasons. At least it didn't overstayed its journey like Law & Order or The Simpsons. ;)

Btw, Pete DeLorenzo ranted on this week "On the table" column and he didn't like the name. On The Table - Autoextremist.com ~ the bare-knuckled, unvarnished, high octane truth... (at http://www.autoextremist.com/on-the-table1/ )