AF: PSA will be merged into FCA | Page 15 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA will be merged into FCA

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by T_690, Feb 26, 2020.

1. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Right now is hard to deconstruct exactly what sectors are being affected and how.

I am only a sample of one, but I’ve seen the price of food go up significantly over the past couple of months. At the same time the shelves are half bare. My guess is retailers are stocking smaller quantities, particularly of perishables, in response to lower consumer demand. We keep getting reassurances from our authorities that our food supply is secure. But seeing half-empty shelves doesn’t give much reassurance.

A handful of products have disappeared altogether. My guess, again, is that those suppliers have gone under, or have halted production because they don’t find it profitable to operate in these conditions.

Separately, fuel prices remain low and supply appears normal —albeit, I definitely see fewer vehicles at the pump. Here in the US, at least, oil prices fluctuations are purposely kept out of inflation estimates.

The local Lowe’s and Home Depot, on the other hand, are bursting at the seams. I was at Lowe’s yesterday and got lost - they have complete reorganized certain sections, no doubt because they are getting more demand for certain products and lower demand for others. Their cleaning supplies section is now twice as large; their gardening center has visibly shrunk, and switched from nursery and plants to mostly hardware —likely due to an entire crop being lost during the lockdown, and ongoing shortages of hands available to work in the fields during the pandemic.

Similar fluctuations in prices and supply chains have to be affecting automakers and causing havoc to their operations.

Who knows, we may find in two years that the quality of vehicles produced during this pandemic turned out to be sh*t due to a combination of supply line disruptions, labor shortages and other unpredictable factors.

KrisW and Beentherebefore like this.
  2. rmtodd

rmtodd Well-Known Member

It's funny you mention that, because just today in Cincinnati I noticed some prices having finally come down at my local Kroger (AKA Ralph's, Fry's, Dillons, King Soopers and many other names elsewhere). A few weeks ago the cheapest ground beef was 5 or 6 dollars a pound; today they had beef chuck roast on sale for $2.99, Tyson chicken breast for $1.99, and large pork roast s for $1.29.

The number of electronic coupons offered, which had dwindled from its normal 300 or so to 100+, has suddenly leapt up to about 600.

I haven't seen much news coverage lately on what's going on with supply chains.

Tony K likes this.
  3. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

It truly is the circle of life. There's always better times then other times. We are in a not such good place at the moment. Companies though shouldn't continually just think it's business as usual. Don't sweep your problems under the rug, as the rug wears out, and will have to be pulled at some point. Then all of those problems have to be fixed or swept away with the house.

Zagnut27 and aldo90731 like this.
  4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Over the past 2 months meat prices here (Mid-Atlantic) have gone up. Early in the pandemic ground beef was $4-$5/lb. Now it's around $6.50/lb. The premium meat cuts are at or over $10/lb - use to be around $8/lb. Chicken pork and turkey seem to have remained steady. Can usually get boneless chicken breasts for $1.99 lb. Those prices are at the local Food Lion. My daughter who works in the meat department at Walmart says some of their meat prices have dropped. Early in the pandemic they could not keep the meat cases stocked. Then prices went up and the panic buying seemed to slow and they were able to slowly restock. At one point the meat, chicken, and lunch meat cases were 99% empty.

As we all experienced, the shelves were bare early in the pandemic. In the last month I've noticed plentiful selections in the meat , dairy (in particular, milk), egg and produce departments. Even the grocery aisles are much better stocked than they were previously. You can even find TP on the shelf. Amazing! Of course, Isiasis is expected to hit our region by Tuesday and I'm sure there will be a run on the stores today or tomorrow. Maybe not as it is the 1st weekend of the month and many of those on government assistance have probably been at the stores all weekend. Daughter and her fiance noted Walmart was very busy yesterday (both work there).

Fuel prices here were up to $1.99 (some over $2) a few weeks ago. Over the past two weeks they have dropped. Some stations down to $1.69.

5. Charger Red

Charger Red Well-Known Member

Since we're waaaay off topic here don't worry about Isaias influencing people to hoard things. We're right directly across from it right now and it's a big nothingburger. The networks both local and national are struggling to maintain the hype. It's pretty funny when you see reports where the news person is reporting doom and gloom and right behind them are people lounging in chairs, kitesurfers in the water, etc.

Tony K and AmbassadorSST like this.
  6. aldo90731

Yeah. This crisis seems to be favoring larger companies and penalizing smaller ones.

My local Fred Meyer (i.e., Kroger) seems well stocked and packed with shoppers; my local Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods are half empty and shelves are half bare.

My guess is there are more people now stretching every dollar and the large grocers are perceive to offer lower prices.

Perhaps this explains why Hyundai-Kia weathered the lockdown better than others, while the luxury automakers got pummeled hardest.

7. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

People will eventually tune the bad news out...if everything is bad news, what is the worst that can happen?
    On another off topic question, why name a hurricane a name you have to have a disclaimer on how to pronounce it beside the name.
    Isaias (ees-ah-EE-ahs).
    I would pronounce the name Is-eye-ahs, if I didn't know how to properly pronounce it...was Ignacio not available as a Spanish name on the Hurricane Name list?

Charger Red likes this.
  8. aldo90731

The reason they use a combination of names in English (Andrew, Harvey, Mitch), Spanish (Guillermo, Maria, Isaías), French (Camille) and miscellaneous other languages (Katrina, Irma), is because the locals in all affected countries are supposed to be able to say them.

The correct pronunciation is E-sah-eeh-ahs

AmbassadorSST likes this.
  9. Charger Red

Charger Red Well-Known Member

Funny how people had no problem pronouncing Boomer Esiason's name when he was prominent in sports. Must be that pesky Latin tongued "I" pronunciation requirement that is throwing everyone off........

AmbassadorSST likes this.
  10. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

That's what I think, so when someone says we should be shifting resources away from luxury or near-premium cars, my thought is "not so fast." Those people on average, who are in the lower-to-mid income levels are not going to be buying new cars nearly as fast as the folks in the white collar sector whose jobs didn't depend on them commuting and working in an office or specific place of business.

ScramFan likes this.
  11. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

They're plenty of Spanish names that do not take a language pronunciation disclaimer beside them to get people to try to pronounce the name correctly.
    I got my language pronunciation disclaimer from The Weather Channel Web site. Even different publications pronounce the name differently. I just think it's funny the Hurricane Name list people chose a name most people in the US couldn't pronounce properly. Somebody must of slipped that name in because their son was named Isaias.
    Ha!
    Throw the Spanish (i) in Esiason and it sounds like Es-ehh-a-son, instead of the way people pronounce it...Es-eye-a-son.

12. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

They talked about this on the Weather Channel. They were/are running out of "I" names since many "I" names have been retired due to their nastiness. A "I" named storm is usually the ninth named storm when the hurricane season is at its height of activity.

The last hurricane to hit our region was Isabel in 2005. The local navy base recorded sustained winds of 88 mph with gusts over 100 mph. Fortunately not a lot of rain. Harry W. Nice bridge connecting southern MD to VA was closed for a time - water was almost up to the road bed of the bridge - the wind was pushing the water back up the river. Power was out for 5 days. A lot of trees were knocked down.

aldo90731 likes this.