AF: PSA will be merged into FCA | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA will be merged into FCA

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by T_690, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

WSJ had an article yesterday that the whole deal might have to be re-figured since FCA stock has, so far, dropped quite a bit more %wise than PSA stock has. However, they were still optimistic that some type of deal would go through.

2. BASONE88

Supporter

Six good things..Chrysler Viper GTS-R 1st @ 24 Hours of Nurburgring (1999, 2001, 2002) & Spa 24 Hours (2001, 2002), Dodge Viper GTS-R 1st @ Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona (2000)!:);)

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yes, they kept the Viper going, but remember who developed it and made it a huge hit in the first place. Maybe nobody could have sustained it over the years, but its sales declined quite a bit while they were in charge, partly because they stopped racing it at Le Mans when that generation ended. “This and more in my new book!” https://www.amazon.com/Dodge-Viper-...367c82e1b364d8536a95b696b75252&language=en_US

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  4. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Just not true. Market cap was always similar as is now.

And since then both have recovered.

5. BASONE88

Supporter

"I've got the brains, you've got the looks, let's make lots of money.." comes to mind (lyrics from Pet Shop Boys).

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  6. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

At the time the WSJ article that Beentherebefore mentioned ...it was true that FCA market cap had slipped below that of PSA.

However, in the days following, FCA has indeed recovered...and now has a greater market cap than PSA, according to the numbers posted by Yahoo Finance at the end of trading today:

FCA: US $16.986 Billion
    PSA: US $11.567 Billion

#46 77 Monaco Brougham, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Beentherebefore and danbek like this.
  7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Wasn't it a 1 - 3 finish for the Vipers? I've still got that race on VHS tape somewhere around here.

BASONE88 likes this.
  8. aldo90731

Stéphane Dumas, MJAB, danbek and 3 others like this.
  9. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Tony K, Adventurer55 and aldo90731 like this.
  10. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Exor letter to shareholders from the chairman (John Elkann).

Letter to shareholders | EXOR (at https://www.exor.com/pages/investors-media/letter-shareholders )

"... Exor will be the NewCo’s largest shareholder, with ~14% of the capital, and is looking forward to working alongside the Peugeot Family who, through their holding companies EPF and FFP, will be the second largest shareholder. In doing this we will draw on the lessons we have learned from our successful partnership with the Ferrari family, which has given Ferrari’s leadership the stable governance it has needed to continue to grow their great company. ..."

[​IMG]

There are other data and news about what they are doing for COVID-19 crisis.

11. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

The WSJ reported Wednesday that PSA is facing a "dramatic collapse" of sales in China. Company sold about 113,000 vehicles there last year, down from more than 700,000 back in 2015. According to the WSJ, the company is facing pressure to restructure it's operations or abandon the Chinese market entirely.

If the merger with Renault had materialized, the Chinese situation would be even worse. Renault announced that it would wind down it's joint venture with Chinese automaker Dongfeng and exit the Chinese market entirely. The venture sold fewer than 20,000 vehicles in China last year. The WSJ article mentions that the decision was made in consultation with "partner" Nissan, but no mention of whether or not the exit from China also applies to Nissan.

12. aldo90731

13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I doubt that they will try to block it. In the current situation, my guess is that they'll just be glad to have even a few vehicle manufacturing facilities running anywhere on the continent or any other place that they might be able to make and sell some vehicles profitably.

14. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Tony K, ScramFan and Adventurer55 like this.
  15. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

They could face two problems, one since they combined share in passengers car market in Italy and France would be high (about 40% and 37%).

The one that I think could be pointed could be light commercial vehicles sector, that is a sector in ehich automakers make profits.
    Combined PSA anf FCA has more than 40% of the market (PSA larger than FCA).
    But i could be said, for example, that already PSA have a joint venture for Ducato / Boxer / Jumper and that, in a recent past, same was for smaller models.

HotCarNut likes this.
  16. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

If the EU is smart they'll let this merger go forward. Only time will tell how it be on the jobs front. Fortunately FCA has some merger experience, hopefully Tavares will use this to his advantage. Maybe this time money will not be wasted on pipe dreams, and it will be spent on future products that actually can reach non lofty sales goals.

Tony K, hotmach and aldo90731 like this.
  17. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

This seems WAY out in left field. But I have been seeing snippets in various media outlets that this proposed merger has Chinese ties to it ?
    Sorry I don't have any direct links. It's just what I have been reading.
    Anybody else heard or seen this ?

18. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

Yes, PSA ownership includes (Chinese Company) Dongfeng Motor Group (13.68%). French state (13.68%), and Peugeot family (13.68%).

19. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Thank you for that.
    I know a lot of people that won't buy Buicks (certain models) only because they are made in China.
    Here we go !

wtxiceman and Ernesto like this.
  20. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

I thought Dongfeng's portion gets bought out as part of the FCA merger.

freshforged likes this.