AF: PSA will be merged into FCA | Page 8 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA will be merged into FCA

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by T_690, Feb 26, 2020.

1. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

But European antitrust commision should also look not only at mergers, but also at any sort of agreement between companies, being explicit as last VW-Ford deal or implicit as a cartel.

For LCV in Europe the links between companies are many.

For example we find

for PSA group
    - Opel / Vaxhaul Movano (PSA group), that is manufactured by Renault, it is the Renault Master (it is also the Nsissan NV 400)

but the same Renault Traffic is for FCA
    - Fiat Professional Talento is the Renault Traffic.

And the paradox is that Fiat Professional Talento uses all the Renault powertrain, while the Fiat Professional Ducato, that is manufactured by FCA-PSA joint venture use different powertrains in FCA and PSA models.

From a point of view of competitionm and advantage for consumer, Fiat Ducato vs. Peugeot Boxer / Citroen Jumper has more differences than a Fiat Professional Talennto vs. Renault Traffic.

If they EU commision wants more competition, than ask FCA-PSA to not continue with the deals with Renault, and go back few years when SEVEL Nord was manufacturing middle size van for PSA and FCA.

Stéphane Dumas and T_690 like this.
  2. ScramFan

ScramFan Well-Known Member

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but even if a post merger FCA-PSA group has the top spot in this space, just how much actual profit can this segment actually produce? I mean in total euros, not margin %.

Aren't these generally low cost, bare-bones work vehicles?

I could understand if we were talking about a high dollar, high margin segment like expensive luxury SUV's or something, but being the top player of a segment which is low cost to begin with seems rather unimportant, in the grand scheme of things.

3. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

LCVs are highly profitable in the EU.

4. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

LCV market is usually a fairly high profit item. Of course, the larger your share is spreads fixed cost out among more vehicles.

5. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

The just-revealed 2021 Nissan Rogue looks like the child of a love triangle between Jeep Cherokee, Toyota RAV4 and a Hyundai something-or-other.

[​IMG]

#145 aldo90731, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    77 Monaco Brougham and hmk123 like this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

But with a nicer looking interior than any of them.

2021-Nissan-Rogue-22-1.jpg

Tony K, AvengerGuy and thebluegoat like this.
  7. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Well-Known Member

Yes, Ryan, I am really diggin' that top level trim interior! Looks quite nice. Like some place I wouldn't mind spending some time.

Ryan likes this.
  8. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

Now if only Nissan will ditch the CVT in the recycle bin....

vipergts2207, T_690 and aldo90731 like this.
  9. aldo90731

Nissan interiors tend to look good from far, but when you get inside and start touching things, they are far from good.

Mazda still leads in interior design IMO. Mazda interiors look and feel premium, way above their price point. Mazda designers consistently show a fine aesthetic sensibility normally associated with Italians more than Japanese automakers. And everything you touch feels as rich as it looks.

This is the current CX-5
    [​IMG]

This is the current Mazda3 interior. I love that chrome bar running across the HVAC controls, giving them an Art Deco “radio” look. Don’t forget this car competes with Corolla and Cruze.
    [​IMG]

#149 aldo90731, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Ironically Mazda went from plainer interiors with nicer handling, to nicer interiors with plainer handling. But they sure outclass everyone in that segment.

kevin m. Henry and aldo90731 like this.
  11. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

There's a reason they outclass the others in the segment, they're working their way up to become a luxury brand

12. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

Yuck...

No thank you. The ergonomics of those are absolutely dreadful. Few physical buttons. Small, hard-to-reach controls. Disjointed components & design styles. Undersized HVAC vents. A user interface and control system on the infotainment system that has more in common with DOS than anything modern. Nooks and crannies that will catch dust and never be able to be cleaned effectively. A design that FORCES the driver to look away from the road ahead for most every control.

Not only does that sort of interior look like it was designed by a 27 committees all operating in their own vacuums, but it is also UNSAFE and encourages "distracted" driving.

13. Jerry Simcik

You REALLY think that looks better than a JGC's interior?

[​IMG]

djsamuel likes this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

That Grand Cherokee you are showing there is a Summit that is in the mid-$50,000 range, so that's not apples to apples.

I drive a Grand Cherokee every day so I am intimately familiar with the interior. Yes, I think the Rogue interior looks better. I will reserve final judgement until I can see/feel the materials used.

The vehicle mentioned above is the Cherokee though, and yes, the Rogue interior looks much better than any interior offered in the Cherokee.

15. Jerry Simcik

Fair enough, that is the Cherokee, but still:

[​IMG]

And don't think you're going to get that black & tan Rogue interior in anything other than the most expensive models. You'll be looking at a price closer to $50K than away from it.

16. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Before you edited your post there was a photo of a Summit interior because it had a suede headliner.

17. aldo90731

And to think that at one point, not too long ago, this was considered fit for human consumption.
    [​IMG]

18. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

You know what's funny? That interior (at least the later version in slightly softer Renegade trim) worked just fine for me for 7 years.

wtxiceman and aldo90731 like this.
  19. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Doorhandles on both of our wk's are beyond cracked.. the fan clicks like crazy in one, and the shifter console facade is barely hanging on. Lol.. but they are, what, 15 years old now?

20. Jerry Simcik

I think you're confusing the 2nd post for the first???