Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT Cruiser reliability - how does it compare?

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by mkaresh, Mar 2, 2007.

1. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. I´┐Żll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

I've got 58 (update, now 97) PTs enrolled so far, including my wife's 2002 Dream Cruiser, but not enough to start collecting data for any model year. Need at least 25 for a model year to start with it.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

2. EWTech

EWTech Member

I added mine. I'll get the license plate # and add the van later.

Bob

3. VNT

VNT Member

I might sign up if you dont sell the e-mail adress?

Note though you will be bored with my vehichles since my 00 Durango has not been back to any shop save getting a nice free set of ball joints from CG. the 02 WJ has never been back and ditto for the Cruiser.

I do all my own maintenance and other than doing fluid changes, a couple tune ups nothing else has had to be replaced.

4. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

As stated on the enrollment form, I don't provide your email address to anyone. If there is any reason for this in the future, it will only be with your express permission.

Just report if and when any repairs are required. A vehicle with no repairs is as useful to the research as one with many.

Maintenance does not get reported, because that would require too much work from people.

5. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Still looking for more PTs. I'd like to participate myself with my wife's 2002, but need more 2002s first.

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I've enrolled if that counts as an endorsement. Right now Chrysler's represented largely by those German-American things which drags down the overall ratings a bit.

7. EWTech

EWTech Member

Not any more...

8. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Now within five or six vehicles of the minimum with both the 2002 and 2003.

9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

EW, they'll continue to be dragged down by Mercedes components for years to come. But I suspect they're yanking some stuff out of the newer cars.

I like the idea of access to Mercedes tech without the requirement ot use it if something else is better.

10. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Daimler retains a stake. They will have influence.

11. EWTech

EWTech Member

In the end this will depend on how the two companies will interact. Having a stake doesn't mean much even with positions on the board of directors as long as management is allowed to run the show. If the management currently in place diverges from the one that ran Chrysler into the ground in the last few years and the cost cutters are held at arms length enough we may see a real comeback for the company. This will likely take a decade to sort out. The real question is: Do they have the time?

Bob

12. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

I'm increasingly hopeful. The lifetime powertrain warranty at least shows that they're thinking of making some bold moves.

On the research, a couple years of the PT are now within five of the minimum. Could start collecting data next month if a few more owners sign up to help out.

For the details, and to sign up:

Vehicle reliability research

13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Shame you can't combine identical years - perhaps a quick t-test would show if that's feasible - you could be conservative and look for a 99% confidence level.

14. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

It's just not something that's generally done. And if the sample sizes were large enough for the t-test to suggest they could safely be combined, then they'd be large enough to not have to need to combine them!

Very close with 2002, 2003, and 2005. I'd like to start with at least the 2003s next month--just need three more.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

15. movaldes

movaldes Active Member

I owned a 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Turbo. In the 3yrs I had it the only time it went to the shop was to have the PS pump replaced in 2005 by Teterboro Chrysler. Other than that, the car never gave me any issues though it only had 14,300 miles on it by the end of the lease.

I'll register my 2007 as soon as my plates come in...

Moe

16. DavidinHartford

I'm signed up with my 2003, but it says not activated yet.

17. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

That's because there still aren't 25 for the year signed up. Must have had someone sell their PT, because still at 23 for the 2003.

18. anchorman

anchorman Guest

I just enrolled my just-acquired (yesterday) 2004.

19. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

The 2003 is now included in the main survey. 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2005 are all just a few owners short fo getting started.

For the details and to sign up to help out, go here:

Chrysler PT Cruiser reliability research

20. DavidinHartford

Two problems here that constantly annoy me.

Rear brakes that grind from brake dust after a few thousand miles. I think it is rediculous that the rear brakes need to be cleaned that often. And at MY expense no less! I've even had two different shops replace the rear pads as well.

Oil leaks. When the first drops started to appear on my driveway after an oil change, the dealer said it was a faulty oil sender switch. Not covered under warranty of course. Two oil changes later the problem is worse.

I love my PT Cruiser, but it is this kind of stuff that drives people to the imports.