AF: PT Cruiser speedometer adjustment | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT Cruiser speedometer adjustment

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by Sam Harmon, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Sam Harmon

Sam Harmon New Member

Hey all, New to the group and excited to rub elbows with those much smarter than me regarding PTs!
    I recently replaced the instrument panel and now the speedometer and tach are about 20% slower than before, meaning, when i'm going 60, it's showing 40. Same with tach...3k shows about 2k. How do I adjust? I've tried the reset method repeatedly: hold down reset > turn key 3 times to hear beep (but not start) and watch gauges and lights dance. I have also taken off needles so I could use my Turbo dash face. Help! Thanks!!!

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The speedometer/odometer is adjusted by setting the pinion factor (i.e.: tire size) in the computer with the proper scan tool.
    However, something is really wrong if the tachometer is reading incorrectly.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Pinion factor wouldn't help a 66% speedometer error. 40mph/60mph x 100.

4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

My guess is there is an issue with the gauge cluster. What year PT? My '06 Ram 1500 has an issue with the tachometer (reads lower by 400 rpm than it should at times). Research shows the fix to re-tin the solder joints or replace the cluster (no longer available). Might be a similar issue with your PT.

5. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Hi Sam and welcome to Allpar. You might try looking up fellow member HandyCruiser. He's an ASE certified master mechanic and LOVES the PT Cruisers. I've been acquainted with Todd for several years and he's a great guy. HE has built several nice PT's over the last several years. I'm sure if anyone can answer your question, he can. You can PM him and he'll likely reply within a few days. He's a busy guy.

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  6. Sam Harmon

Sam Harmon New Member

Thanks all. Since I did remove the speedo and tach gauge needles (markers), how do I put them back on so they are in the right location? Could that be my problem?

7. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

In your original post, you said you "replaced" the cluster. Was there anything wrong with the original cluster and if not, can you reinstall it to see if it works correctly?

Were you just changing clusters to change the dial faces? Do you know for sure that the replacement was working before you removed the needles?

chuzz likes this.
  8. Sam Harmon

Sam Harmon New Member

I changed the cluster because the digital odometer wasn't working at all. All else seemed to work good. The new cluster did not have the silver Turbo faces, so I took that off my old one. Had to remove the needles to do that. Did I put the needles back on wrong?, If so, what method do I use to align them correct? Speedo and tach work, but needles show them to be about 20% slow.

Handy_Cruiser likes this.
  9. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I sent Todd an email alerting him to your post. Hopefully he'll see it and check in with suggestions.

10. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I would say that you replaced the needles in the wrong position. There should be nothing about changing clusters that inherently affects the accuracy.

djsamuel and chuzz like this.
  11. Handy_Cruiser

Level 2 Supporter

The silver GT speedometer goes to 140 mph. The NA speedometer only goes to 120 mpg. Installing the silver speedometer face on the NA speedometer is going to read incorrectly. You can use either speedometer cluster, but you can't swap faces.

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  12. Handy_Cruiser

Level 2 Supporter

Silver GT gauge cluster with 140 mph speedometer.

[​IMG]

NA cluster with 120 mph speedometer.

[​IMG]

chuzz likes this.
  13. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Todd, you may have hit on it, he put an NA cluster into a Turbo PT, and changing the gauge faces isn't enough. ;)

This is from the Service Manual on setting the pinion factor, as mentioned by valiant67. But would this really apply since the PCM wasn't replaced, but the instrument cluster ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or you may just want to search for a Turbo cluster, they can't be that expensive and should be readily available :)

chuzz and Handy_Cruiser like this.