Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT Cruiser Turbo install

Discussion in 'Performance' started by ARWMC, May 20, 2017.

1. ARWMC

ARWMC New Member

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, hope someone can help me out but Would like to get information on doing an engine swap. Is it possible to put a 2005 turbo into a 2002 PT Cruiser. Everything is there from engine, trans all wiring and computer drive axles. I have my concerns, two shops say it can be done but still unsure. Thanks for the help

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar.
    But would those 2 shops do the job? It may be a federal violation (tampering) to change the emissions certification that the car was sold under to another VIN's certification for a shop, but maybe not for you as a private owner. Check local DMV compliance laws first.
    It may prevent legal state registration and inspection if a vehicle is different than its VIN.
    Sure it could be done. It would be a major undertaking and you would want access to the donor vehicle for all the little bits and pieces that may be needed to complete the hardware installation. A complete wiring harness is a plus. It might even need the 2005 instrument cluster installed.
    Is it possible to repair and put the 2005 PT on the road instead?

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  3. ARWMC

ARWMC New Member

Thank you for your input. The 2005 was a total not able to put back togather. The shop would bedoing the work. Didn't think of the legal side of things. I think I will put that project off and do other custom things. Just looking to improve the car which is getting high on the miles, but running very well just have to do some minor clean up and inspect the whole drive train for the long trip coming up. Again thank you for the help and info.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I'm not saying that the state would dis-allow it, but you would want to check that side of things first for an intended daily driver.

5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

There was no turbo option in 2002. However it was the same car. You can check with the state; NY is pretty loose and may give you a waiver without any trouble.