Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pt cruiser wiring problem

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by Jeffery Schutte, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Jeffery Schutte

Hello my name is Jeffery. I have a 2007 pt cruiser. The wires burnt to the alternator. I replaced the wires now there seems to be a short somewhere. With the battery disconnectedit have power at the battery as soon as I connect the positive cable it sparks and I lose power at the battery and no power anywhere . Please help

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. Look for further melted and burned wiring inside the wiring harness sheath. You may have to move some components aside and split the wiring harness open for inspection.
    If a component has shorted, disconnect connectors until the short disappears and examine closely what you just disconnected.
    It sounds as if there is further damage.

3. David Eidell

David Eidell Well-Known Member

A bit confusing. Verbatim it means the battery itself goes dead when it is connected?
    Another question -- does not the alternator power wire have a fusible link somewhere?

4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

You need to determine the reason for the burned electrical wires / electrical connector at the alternator. It is possible that the rectifier / diode assembly internal to the alternator has failed and is allowing electrical current to flow from the battery and through the alternator to the body ground. In other words a short to ground and electrical drain.

You can test the alternator rectifier / diode assembly. Disconnect the battery ground cable at the battery. Remove the larger diameter cable at the alternator and then remove all smaller diameter wires (field control) and any ground wires to the case. You now have the alternator electrically isolated from the vehicle electrical system.

Take a volt - ohm meter and set it to measure ohms or continuity. Touch the positive lead of the meter to the alternator case. Touch the negative lead of the meter to the larger diameter terminal / battery terminal at the alternator. There should be continuity. Now reverse the meter test leads.

Place the meter positive lead to the larger diameter terminal / battery terminal at the alternator. Touch the negative meter lead to the alternator case. The meter should indicate no continuity / open circuit. If continuity is shown then one or more of the diodes has failed and the alternator is defective and causing your electrical current drain / short to ground.

If the alternator passes the diode test, then follow instructions as mentioned previously. Check all wiring and fusible links. The attached diagram should provide some guidance.

Starting Generator System 2006 PT Cruiser.png

#4 AllanC, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    djsamuel likes this.