Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pulled BCM fuses hoping to reset it - Now it won's start, no dash power at all.

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by mtweb, Aug 30, 2015.

1. mtweb

mtweb New Member

HELP!

I pulled the 3 fuses for the BCM and left them out overnight. My plan was to reset it, thinking it'd be the same as disconnecting the battery overnight. Now, the car won't do anything. The dash doesn't light up when opening the door and the key does absolutely nothing when turned on. I have no power to anything except the head/taillights and the dome light. Outside the lights, it acts as if the battery has been removed.

The reason I wanted to reset the BCM, was because I had an issue with my passenger side headlight not working. The bulb is good, but it doesn't light up and the car says Low Beam Headlamp out. I replaced the headlamp assembly and the light hesitated to come on the first 5 times or so, then it simply stopped coming on at all.

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated. I hope to avoid having it towed to a dealer and spending money I don't have.

2. mtweb

mtweb New Member

It's a 2013 Dodge Dart, by the way.

3. Int

Int Active Member

#3 Int, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    PCRMike likes this.
  4. mtweb

mtweb New Member

Update: I realized one of the BCM fuses was in the wrong location. The fuse map makes it look like it should be directly next to another one, but there's supposed to be a gap. Anyway, I now have full power to everything, but it still will NOT start. Everything comes on with the ignition, but when attempting to start, it does nothing. And no, the battery is not dead.

5. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Does this mean it won't crank? Or cranks but won't start?

6. Int

Int Active Member

7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I found this part interesting:

"They confirmed an electrical problem between TCM and engine control module most likely cause. Due to the loss of communication between control modules the starter couldn't tell if the transmission was in neutral/park or not, so wouldn't engage the starter."

8. Int

Int Active Member

Yes, I don't think that would have occurred to me even with my thinking cap on.

9. mtweb

mtweb New Member

It will not crank. I turn the key and everything acts normal, but the starter doesn't engage.

"They confirmed an electrical problem between TCM and engine control module most likely cause. Due to the loss of communication between control modules the starter couldn't tell if the transmission was in neutral/park or not, so wouldn't engage the starter."
    This is definitely interesting. I don't know if pulling the fuses would cause this, or if having a manual transmission would matter.

10. Int

Int Active Member

Well, that would interrupt communication, if that matters while the car shut off. Have you tried moving the shifter around?

11. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Bad clutch safety switch? (If there is such a thing in this vehicle.) The last manual transmission vehicles I had (both GM) had a clutch safety switch where you had to depress the clutch pedal to start regardless of whether the vehicle was in neutral or not.

Just a thought.

12. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

As a suggestion, disconnect the battery for about an hour to allow all of the computers/components power-down and clear. This will put everything in a known state and allow the components to reestablish communication on their terms.

Hope this helps,

Gerry G.

ImperialCrown and Int like this.
  13. mtweb

mtweb New Member

Thanks for the incite everyone! I finally figured it out and hate to admit what it was. Somehow, between leaving the fuses out overnight and the diagram being upside down, I had 2 of the 3 fuses in the wrong locations. Boy do I feel stupid...

PCRMike and ImperialCrown like this.
  14. Int

Int Active Member

I used to fix office equipment for a living. The opportunity to be stupid was ever present and no one passed on every opportunity.

Drive long and prosper. ;)

15. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

Jeez! Falling apart already?? Wow. What a surprise.

16. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Lol. I have fixed office equipment for 21 years. I hear ya. Lol

17. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Falling apart? Hardly. It had a brain fart. My neighbor has a 2008 Buick that he had back to the dealer 17 times for a total of 7.months for electronic gremlins. My dad had to take a 16 month old Kia in for its second tramsmission. That qualifies for falling apart, not this.

somber, ImperialCrown and JA Cumbo like this.
  18. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

Troll much?

Mike V. likes this.
  19. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

Falling apart? Not my 92 Grand Voyager with 321,000 miles on it............... Take care of them and they last

PCRMike and JA Cumbo like this.
  20. Dartman89

Dartman89 Member

Did this fix your passenger headlight?

Mike V. likes this.