Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pulling Power from the Floating Bezel Rheostat

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by iNeon, Feb 21, 2017.

1. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Hi Y'all!
    I'm going to add some footwell lights to the Dart and wanted to grab my power from the headlight switch/rheostat for the 'floating island' bezel dimmer already present on the car. What little research I've done on the DIY sites says the brown wire dims by the the accessory rheostat?

I'm glad to consult a wiring diagram, but can't find one! Which setting on the multimeter would I use to start poking at wires myself to measure power at the headlight switch connector? I'm trying to avoid tearing into the dash to pick up power at the end of the island bezel circuit.

The headlight switch panel is the second one that comes off, it seems much easier to pull power from there!

2. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

My Dart Limited has footwell lights from the factory. They are actually little leds that are just clipped to the footwell. My assumption would be that the wiring might already be present in any Dart? I'd check onto it and then maybe you could go to a salvage yard and pull the lights out of a Limited.

3. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

All I need to know is which wire from the switch panel powers the dashboard accent lights on a 2015 Dart with automatic headlights. Bought all the supplies already :)

4. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Dash torn to pieces-- quick connects spliced into bezel wiring.

Footwell lights inoperative.

I'll figure it out tomorrow or push it into the ocean.

5. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

6. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Got it done when there was some daylight day before yesterday! Not exactly sure what the problem was-- I'm thinking I had the + and - reversed-- the lights only work one way.

Materials used:

1 pack of blue quick connects
    Red and black wire, 16 gauge
    2 sets(4 strips total) Alpena 8" red flex lights(though they're very bright and I had to cover some lights with electrical tape to get a more subtle lighting effect.)

The rear lights end up very neatly tucked-in along the console bottom and into the split in the carpet at the seat tracks-- under the tracks, then tuck them into the seat workings with some slack for range of movement.

Pulled the frontmost lower console trim panels in both footwells--I used the access to wire one under-seat light to the other. Make two of the LED strips (red + is the striped wire from the LED) longer- one about 3.5 feet longer-- the other, maybe 3. The fronts are long enough.

To remove the bezel, one starts at the driver's side door jamb, take the dash end-cap off, remove the lower trim screws. There's another over to the right. Let it hang by the hood release cable. Remove the collar to the steering column. There's a screw on a red tab under there that holds the lighted bezel in the dash-- it's the hardest one.

To get to the bezel trim it's removing the little leather brow of the dash-- and there's a support structure under it which has all the screws. On the bezel trim connector(next to the vent left of the screen-- and to the left of the screen's 3 connectors) the yellow wire is powered and the brown wire is the ground. From there it's just red to stripes(on the Alpena lights I used, from Advance Auto Parts the striped wires were positive) and black to black. '

If they offered the lights in smaller strips, I'd recommend getting them because the 6 LED 8" flex strips I got were super extra eye-searingly bright red and I think it could be a distraction for some people. They're REALLY bright. Like, hurt your eyes bright. Electrical tape is covering all but two lights in each of mine-- under the seats are full intensity.