Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting a 440 into a 74 AMC matador

Discussion in 'AMC, Eagle, Hudson, Nash, Willys' started by berg621, May 23, 2016.

1. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Every time I tried, I failed, so don't worry about them. Just what you've installed, and any problems you've encountered, should work.

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

The best way to load pictures is to find a free hosting site, like photobucket.com.
    You upload the picture there. There will e a link shown with the IMG code.
    Copy that link and paste it into your post.

3. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Not sure about that A body stuff, but it is definitely a truck transmission thing. Who knows for sure it might be a long tailshaft trans, but something to be aware of, which does go in hand with the governor shift point. Biggest thing to recognize is that the engine won't be able to rev as high before shifting, the governor is the culprit, not the linkage in this case.

4. berg621

berg621 Member

So far the info I have is that its the original engine(one owner too). It was rebuilt 10 years ago, new rings, bearings, gaskets, has 5,000 miles on the rebuild, 5 years ago he bought a cabin and parked it there as a guest house. he runs it twice a year to keep it from rusting up. I still have to help pull it out, I didn't think too look at the numbers, but it ran good 2 months ago, he's scrapping the motor home. And I am getting the motor and trans for $250

5. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Well, that's a good price for a running 440 and transmission. Being a swap, get it installed and then we can assist with fine tuning after she is going.

Scrounge and pt006 like this.
  6. berg621

berg621 Member

the rough plan for my car is this:
    1. pull motor and trans out of donor motor home
    2. pull motor and trans out of matador
    3. measure everything
    4. attempt to mount motor and trans into matador
    5. hook up everything, see if it all fits and works
    6. resolve fitment issues and others that we find
    7. pull motor back out to be rebuilt and updated(pistons, cam, intake, nothing too radical)
    8. while motor is out, trans and reared get rebuilt or swapped(may have a disc brake javelin rearend coming, friend is moseir axle dealer, so I got options)
    9. with everything out, fix the 2 rust holes, and paint car.
    10. put everything back together
    11. get car running and moving right
    12. enjoy car and screw with all my friends with chevys

Ill try my best to log the build because it will be a fun project

Scrounge likes this.
  7. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Post some pics of the motorhome Engine and trans when you get them out if possible.
    Thanks
    Randy

8. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Agreed, that's a very good price for a running 440. It probably has a Thermoquad, which is a smog carb. You mentioned swapping the intake. Here's a link to some that will fit:

Intake manifolds from 440 Source.com

The 2806178, along with a Carter AVS carb, should work for street performance. If you can't find an AVS, Edelbrock makes some good AVS-based carbs.

9. berg621

berg621 Member

Update so far.... me and the owner of the 440 both work a rotating swing shift jobs and cant find a day off to go pull the motor. looks like some time in September when he takes time of to prep for hunting is when ill be getting the motor.

10. berg621

berg621 Member

I finally was able to get the matador home, still working on getting the motor, work staffing issues and the birth of my kid, slowed progress. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pictures