AF: Quarantined at home - classic car needs exercise | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quarantined at home - classic car needs exercise

Discussion in 'All other classic cars' started by AllanC, Mar 30, 2020.

1. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Because of the shelter in place for virtually everyone in the United States, I am wondering if a dilemma has been created for those of us with classic cars. If you live in the northern states you typically have your classic ride in hibernation because of salted road conditions during the winter. But since the month of April is approaching and bad weather and salted roads are disappearing, you want to bring your ride to life and give it some driving exercise. Are you breaking the quarantine rules by driving your classic for a few miles?

I guess you could claim a necessary errand for food, fuel, medications or medical visits. When driving a classic on streets and highways you tend to attract attention.

I live in a relatively small town in rural Oklahoma so I have convenient access to paved roads in the county that are lightly traveled. I can drive on a winding course for 8 - 10 miles on a good road surface, stay outside of municipal boundaries and not attract attention. And I would not expose myself or cause transmission of any disease while performing this driving exercise. If you live in a more populated area which is considered "hot spots" for disease transmission, maybe it would be best to continue to keep the classic car in hibernation.

Thoughts???

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Mine's been down 2 1/2 years for a bad head gasket and other issues, as I haven't found time to fix it. So I won't be out cruising anytime soon.

DC-93 likes this.
  3. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

In your case, I'm for driving it. And I agree that other vintage vehicle owners in small towns and rural areas should also drive them. You'll want to first make sure the gasoline is okay; if it needs to be drained, you might come into contact with people at the gas station when you fill a gas can, but you can mitigate that by paying at the pump with a debit card. The only argument against, that I can think of, would be if the vehicle has antique plates, which restrict when and where you can drive it.

I live in a small town in Texas, and, though the library and county offices are closed, most local restaurants and other businesses remained opened before I drove up here to Michigan. That may have changed since then; I understand that the governor recently signed more executive orders related to the virus. Before I left, I saw a nice 1950 Packard for sale in Thorndale, asking $7500. It's black with a manual transmission, and is on the shorter wheelbase; the odometer reads 79K+, and the owner claimed that's box 1 miles.

In the Detroit Metro area, a guy across the street recently built a rat rod from a '32 Dodge body and a 360 engine (I don't remember which chassis he used), but he no longer has it. He's currently building another one with a Chevy S10 chassis and a '51 Ford shell. He occasionally drove the Dodge through the neighborhood; his intent was to show it at the Woodward Dream Cruise, and I think he did so. My guess is that he'll do the same when his current project is finished, quarantine or not. Winter has generally been mild up here, but I've yet to see any vintage vehicles this trip. Too many of the roads still need repairs or repaving.

Most of the nearby gas stations up here, as well as banks, some party stores, and other businesses, have glass partitions between the customers and cashiers to help thwart crime, which are accidentally serving as disease-prevention.

4. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Mine is laid up while the seats get recovered. While they’re out I’m installing new carpet, radio conversion and speakers. Expect it to be back together in a month for some road time. If the restrictions are still in place around here it will be my grocery getter.

5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

@AllanC - I agree with Scrounge. I think you would be okay driving in your immediate local area. Maybe even use it to occasionally drive to the grocery store for "essential food stuffs".

Having said that, that may be a real issue if you're located in one of the states where shelter-in-place is now mandatory and roaming around for no good reason can result in a misdemeanor charge. As of 8 pm tonight, the neighboring state (MD), has such a restriction in place. Unless you are driving to get medical treatment or to obtain essential supplies (food) or are an essential worker, law enforcement has been instructed to limit such activities and could charge you with a misdemeanor - up to one year in jail and/or $5,000 fine. They are also frowning on travel into and out of the state. This will prove interesting as we are only 2.5 miles from the MD/VA border and according to my daughter who works at the local Walmart, a good portion of their customers are from "across the river".

6. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

One has to be respectful for those living in high population density areas that require more drastic measures to keep people separated and minimize the spread of this disease. My concern about driving a classic car seems quite trivial compared to that.

DC-93 likes this.
  7. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

I have been using my Valiant for a few errands(grocery store and pharmacy) but other than that, nothing else.

8. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Does this sound like your problem?

Feels like 16 again.
    Gas is cheap and your grounded.

rapidtrans likes this.