Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for Challenger Scat Pack experts

Discussion in 'Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by aldo90731, Dec 28, 2017.

1. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

Problems can arise as many tire outlets won't put on anything other than what was factory stock as they're so worried about liability issues.

2. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I know America’s/Discount Tire won’t:
    1. Mount 315-wide tires on factory 7.5” wide JK wheels —stock tire size on those wheels is 255/80-17, which are 2.4” narrower
    2. Touch wheels mounted on spacers
    3. Remount tires that have a damaged sidewall
    They, however, have mounted 285/70-17 tires (1.2” wider) on my stock 7.5” JK wheels, and have remounted aftermarket AEV and Quadratec wheels with different width and offset on my Jeeps. So I doubt they will have issue with mounting 275-wide tires (1.2” wider) on factory 9.5-inch wide rims. But I will find out I guess.

#22 aldo90731, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  3. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

I’ve found you can take the wheels off and bring them in, and they will put whatever you want on it. Problem is that it’s a royal pain that requires a second vehicle and two trips. Great time to clean wheels and arches though

ClayBelt40's likes this.
  4. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

So, I test drove the Scat Pack Carmax transferred from a store 500 miles away:
    1. I found the suspension stiffer and the exhaust louder than I was expecting, including a fair amount of drone. But didn’t find either objectionable.
    2. The quality of materials, the fit and finish on the car are simply outstanding, and eons better than those on my 2012 SRT 392. The details on the gauges and added displays and electronics are fun.
    But I still returned home empty handed.

Despite Carmax’s stated policy to never sell repaired vehicles, there was evidence that this car had been rear-ended and sloppily repaired:
    • There were signs that the rear fascia had been repainted
    • The rear fascia wasn’t mounted properly. It had glaring misalignments relative to the sheetmetal in several places
    • The lower black cladding had deep scuffs
    • The bright exhaust tips were mounted crooked
    • The rear DODGE lettering was missing
    • The blind spot monitor wasn’t working
    • The car did an abrupt jerk every time I engaged 5th gear, which, in an extreme case could mean a bent transmission mount
    The Carfax showed no accidents, so it must have been repaired under the table. That would explain the sloppy job, and maybe why the original owner sold it after only 7,500 miles.

I believe no one at my local Carmax store was aware of the issue. They looked genuinely surprised when I pointed out the evidence. But they couldn’t refute it either, so they refunded the transfer fee without question.

However, I saw that they put the car back for sale online right away. Which gives me pause, because it makes me wonder if their policy to never sell a repaired vehicle is grounded on a moral principle, or they will still try as long as the Carfax is clean, even when they know a car has been repaired.

#24 aldo90731, Jan 15, 2018 at 11:31 AM
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 12:53 PM
  5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I’m not sure that is their policy any more. I looked at a few vehicles and they disclosed that accident repairs showed on the reports.

6. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Really? Wow. That has changed.

Unless they do disclose it whenever they find out after they purchased a vehicle.