AF: Questions about Bendix 10 ABS and UltraDrive (A604) Compatibility... | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about Bendix 10 ABS and UltraDrive (A604) Compatibility...

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by tedhodges, May 24, 2020.

1. tedhodges

tedhodges Active Member

Hi all,

I just picked up a ‘92 Dodge Dynasty LE with the 3.3, A604, and Bendix 10 Anti-Lock Braking System as a parts car. Bought it for $100 because the owner said the brakes were failing (and yes, I’m aware that the Bendix 10’s notorious for failing). Here are my questions:

1. The master cylinder was nearly empty when I got it. I filled it with fluid and now the warning lights tend to go off, but not always. Is it possible that air getting into to the lines would cause it it misbehave beyond what would happen to conventional brake system? Also, the ABS Pump relay could be going out (the pump doesn’t always turn on when it should, but when I tap on the relay it tends to start pumping again.)

2. I have a ‘91 New Yorker Salon with 110K thats transmission doesn’t shift as smooth as it should (fluid is good, replaced TCM, but the 1-2 shifts always seem firm and 2-3 shifts seems to happen in stages, but it never goes into limp mode.) This 92 Dynasty runs and shifts smooth as silk and I’m wondering would it’s transmission just bolt on and work on the 91 New Yorker? Or could the harsh shifts my 91 has be caused by something else?

Check out my YouTube channel if you’d like to see them: Low End Mopar

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Air would behave as in any brake system. The only difference is an electronic pump provides the boost rather than a traditional master cylinder with vacuum powered booster. This ABS system can be more difficult to bleed.

The A604 changed a lot, but if both cars have 3.3 engines it is a direct interchange between 91 and 92. If the New Yorker has a 3.8 it can still work, 3.0 is out of luck.

3. tedhodges

tedhodges Active Member

Thanks for the info on the Bendix System and the A604. Both cars do have the 3.3L, so it sounds like they’re a direct swap.