Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions for charger hellcat to 300 swap

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by randy1911, Nov 15, 2017.

1. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

Need project help, I would like to know If I got my hands on a Charger hellcat. Could I strip off all the body panels down to the frame and but the panels of a 300S on it. ( I know the question sounds dumb and I doubt that will work but I had to ask)

The real question I assume would be to strip the car underneath from axle to rear gut the both drivetrains and all other mechanics and swap them. The question is will they fit without major modifications. The 300 and Charger are very very similar Im hoping stripping it down underneath will be almost plug and play with minor modifications once gutted and swapped.

My reason for this is I want a 300 Hellcat and I know the 300 and the charger under the skin are built in the same frame and dimensions for the most part. I know the mechanics are interchangeable on lower models.

From my understanding and forgive my noobish knowledge on this issue I just got frustrated waiting on FCA to build it and made this decision yesterday that will take me to the end of 2018 to finish.

I know the brampton people could answer this with good intel and I would like to know the best way to go about it from anyone that can contribute. I start my project in january I will include pictures along the way I just need to get my list of needs to get started.

#1 randy1911, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  2. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

First, the cars don't have a frame. No Chrysler passenger car has had a frame for over 50 years. They're unitized. ALL of them.

I seriously doubt if parts from an LX 300 would bolt directly up to a late LD Charger. Possibly fender/hood/bumper. With the earlier LX Dodges, you could do that. Starting in 2011, the LD Charger received many, many changes. They were updated in 2015.
    If you are thinking of going from an LD Hellcat to a late (2015+) LX, I think you'd still have a really tough time because everything in a higher level (Pursuit, SRT, Hellcat) Dodge is engineered to handle the power. The 300 has little of the sort, and would require a serious evaluation and almost a reengineering to get it on par with the Charger.

Modern swaps, whether it's sheet metal or an entire powertrain/drivetrain requires quite a bit more research and planning than it was like for us years ago.

ImperialCrown and randy1911 like this.
  3. Tomguy

Level 2 Supporter

The Charger and 300 have different body sheet metal. The doors, fenders, hood etc are not-swappable. The Magnum and 300 first-gen were, and not the Chargers; this can be seen on some "Chargum" conversions - lots of fabrication needed on the Charger fenders to fit the Magnum/300 chassis.

If you want to make a Hellcat 300, here's what you'd need:
    1 good 300
    1 good, or wrecked but running Hellcat Charger

You will need to strip the 300 down to next to nothing. To make life easier, pull the seats and carpet and interior trim. This will allow you to swap all the harnesses from the Charger into the 300. You will need to swap them all, except maybe the headliner harness and other minor devices. Don't quote me on not needing to do that, though.
    You will need to swap the engine, transmission, front and rear subframe assemblies (including the struts, springs, etc.) as well as everything that directly or indirectly connects to those components (brakes - including the booster/MC/ABS and potentially lines, wheels, axles, exhaust, so on).
    Most of it is plug and play but there would be other work possibilities. For example, if the Charger requires the racetrack LEDs for rear lighting to not show "Bulb out" or something, and the 300's rear doesn't match the resistance it expects. I don't know about this, but finding resources may be quite hard.
    Essentially, you want a source Hellcat you could pull literally every single thing from, to prevent codes, running issues, etc. Look at the General Mayhem that Roadkill did, it has the HVAC and uConnect in it as well as the Charger gauge cluster; they still have tons of codes etc because they didn't move the airbags over, but I assume you will want airbags, because (not) Roadkill.

I've thought about doing something like this. If I could source a wrecked Charger SRT or Scat or Hellcat for free or next to nothing, I'd be building a car right now. My work would be even more involved than yours, but it'd be worth it in the end.

If going from a Charger without a sunroof to a 300 with a sunroof you may need to patch the Hellcat harness to the 300, then have it programmed on the donor's computer - or forgo sunroof operation. Same for any othe options you want in the 300 that the Charger didn't have.