AF: Questions on buying a used 300/Charger AWD | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions on buying a used 300/Charger AWD

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by JFWONE, Feb 8, 2019.

1. JFWONE

JFWONE New Member

Howdy everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum. I've been following Allpar for years but just realized it had a forum, so I apologize if I put this in the wrong section.

I currently have an '06 Ford Five Hundred, which I love, but it's got 190K on it and it's getting a bit tired and rusty.

I'm looking to replace it in the next couple of years, and my mechanic/buddy told me that the 300's and Chargers were good vehicles.

I'm not new to Chrysler vehicles, prior to the Five Hundred I had an Intrepid (that I loved, '97, 190K on it when I traded it) and an XJ ('91, 205K on it when I sold it), but now have an '07 Commander, which is... okay. (Great 4WD system, but man, niggling stuff breaking. I get nickle and dimed alot more than i did with my intrepid and XJ).

So with that background; is there anything I need to look out for? Is quality better than under Cerberus? What I'm looking for are little thigns. When I bought the intrepid and after getting feedback on usenet I made sure I had a good shop lined up for tranny fluid changes, and I got the autostick primarily for the included tranny cooler. and advice like that served me really well.

I'm looking at '15's with AWD. Are there any issues with that model year? Are they pretty good cars, or do they have issues? Is the Pentastar motor a good motor? Do you have to baby it? Are the AWD cars good snow cars?

How comfortable are they as trip cars? One thing that would bum me out is the smaller trunk; my Five Hundred has a 20 cu ft trunk and no gooseneck trunk hinges, but I think I can live with it.

I have to admit, I'm kind of infatuated with the cars. The looks are fantastic, and they seem to really perform well despite their weight.

Thank you!

2. somber

somber 370,000 miles

I've had 3 now. Two 2015 Charger SXTs (first one was totalled), and one 2017 300C, so I have a few thoughts:
    • Don't worry about the Pentastar - great engine. I haven't put 370K on one yet, but have 120K on a 2011 Grand Caravan, 85K on 2015 Charger, and 40K (21K since I bought it) on the 300C. No issues.
    • They've been great trip cars. Very comfortable, and the 8spd/Pentastar combo is great on gas for a full size.
    • 300s seem to depreciate faster than Chargers, so you might find better deals for the 300. I bought my 2017 300C last year with 19.6K miles on it for 1/2 of the sticker price it had when new.

JFWONE likes this.
  3. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Agree on the Pentastar and the better deals on the 300. I haven't looked at used AWD 300s around here, but I have seen a number of new AWD 300s advertised for around $26k, or about $10k off sticker.

JFWONE likes this.
  4. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level 2 Supporter

I can't comment on the Pentastar/AWD aspect of things as I have no experience with them.

My '13 has 83000 on the clock. In that time I've had relatively few issues.

1) Trunk kept popping open. Replacing the button on the trunk solved the problem. I think that was resolved by 2015
    2) Temperature sensor went bad. Don't know that it would be applicable to the Pentastar
    3) Buzzing from the shroud around the mirror at times.
    4) An intermittent squeak from the dashboard near the headlight switch.
    5) Random glitches with infotainment system, though it has been a couple of years since that happened. I pretty much expect that with any automakers infotainment system.
    6) In the last couple of weeks, the backup camera has been static-y once or twice.

Only the first 2 were major issues, but in both cases I was able to drive to a dealership.

The most annoying is number 4.

I love my car. It is comfortable and gets reasonable mileage. I'm averaging over 22mpg combined with the 5.7L/5spd combo. My only regret with my purchase is that I did not get AWD.

I would not hesitate to recommend one some someone. If I had to replace mine tomorrow, the ONLY reason I probably wouldn't consider another one is the lack of a reasonable towing capacity.

JFWONE likes this.
  5. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

The 500 and 08,09 Tarus were very roomy cars more then the 300. The 500 also has very large windows which gives you more sence of room. For a newer car the 300 proberly comes close to the 500 then any other.

JFWONE likes this.
  6. JFWONE

JFWONE New Member

Thank you everyone!

7. JFWONE

JFWONE New Member

The 500 wasn’t very well liked by the press, but with that 20 cu ft trunk I took my family camping across the country in comfort, averaging about 27 mpg. One time I drove for 24 hours and wasn’t fatigued. I know it’s a Ford but I love it. ;-)

The 300/charger are impressive though. I love the looks and they are easier to find than used bull cars. And they are quick! Even with the V6!
    Not sure who chryslernhired to do their interiors but he did a great job.

The Charger has heated rear seats!! Not sure why the 300 doesn’t.

For either I’m looking for a model with the 300hp pentastar

8. JFWONE

JFWONE New Member

9. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

We have a 13 model 300c with 190k. 3.6 AWD and it has been a fantastic car.
    The only thing that has went wrong was a bluetooth module that i replaced for 190.
    My daughter drives it now. Wife wanted a yukon.

JFWONE likes this.
  10. JFWONE

JFWONE New Member

Okay, one more...

On my Five Hundred I run Nokian WR G3 SUVs. This is my second set. I love them, they are amazing in the snow, ice, and wet. Does anyone else run them on the 300/Charger?

11. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

The 500 08.09 Tarus were not big sellers but this is my idea of a better sedan. I think most people are going to suv/cuv because of utiliy.
    What the 500 had was large doors and tall seat hieghts for ease of entry/exit. A large trunk with a large opening that you can actully put big items in. Large back seat with limo like leg room.
    I guess I'm now a old fat senior citiizen and thats why I have Caravan. My wife will be getting a new car soon, it might be a 300 but proberly it will be cuv.

12. JFWONE

JFWONE New Member

LOL Yes. I'm 45 now and I joke with my wife about being an old man. They really did have alot going for them. Even more interior room than my wife's Grandpa's Fleetwood, at least subjectively. And in the winter storms up here ( I live in Northern Michigan) it was a beast with good tires.

After a couple of camping trips I really became addicted to the idea of not sharing space with my luggage. My Commander technically has a larger storage area.... provided you don't mind stuff falling on the kids in a sudden stop. Or actually seeing out the rear window. But the rest of the market doesn't agree with me.

One more thing they nailed: not having gooseneck hinges. I hate those bloody things. They just seem mechanically obtuse and suck up probably 2-3 Cu Ft of trunks space. Just silly.

I think Ford just missed the market timing wise. 10 years earlier and it would have been a bigger seller.

In some ways, I think the old Pacificas were the same way. It was the Venza before the Venza. A luxury crossover before they just dominated. But that's just my uneducated opinion.

All that said, the Charger tickles my fancy with its performance with the V6-8spd, Uconnect, and the hot looks. The 300 S the same way.

13. 2012JKU

2012JKU Active Member

My 2015 300C Platinum AWD has heated rear seats. I think some of the lower end 300's don't have them.

Ryan likes this.