Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions on Magnum R/T

Discussion in 'Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by slojoe, Jun 14, 2017.

1. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

2. slojoe

slojoe Active Member

Well I had the driveability reflash done, it seems to make the trans kick down earlier, which I suppose keeps the engine from lugging.

I have another question. I had a local shop drain/fill the radiator. I notice the anti-freeze is now green. I forget what color it was before having the service done.

Is there green anti-freeze that is Mopar spec for the 5.7, or do I need to have Dodge put the red stuff in?

thanks for any help, I couldn't find anything definitive in my searches.

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

You can't necessarily go by color. Did they say what type of antifreeze was used?

4. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

My 06 5.7 used hoat (hybrid organic acid tech). Its red/ orange. Modern engines have a huge mix of types of metals and plastics. I believe the acid reduces the corrosive nature of the system. Sounds counterintuitive, but the engine is grounded, so it acts like electrolysis.
    Dexcool, or dexKill, which is green, has lots of horror stories and videos of completely sludging up. That stuff will eat an engine and cooling system from the inside.
    Personally, I would get the right stuff, a bunch of distilled water and spend an afternoon flushing it

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

But just because it is green doesn't mean they did not use HOAT.

6. slojoe

slojoe Active Member

I went back to the shop. They use Peak long life, the bottle said ASTM D3306/D4985.

I am trying to find if it is compatible with what should be in my radiator.

Unfortunately I am finding a lot of conflicting information online. What is supposed to be in the radiator? 08 Magnum 5.7l. And is this Peak stuff compatible? thanks for the help

In the owner's manual it says use HOAT, so I am trying to figure if the peak is compatible with that...

#26 slojoe, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  7. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

8. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

The 5.7 and 3.6 in the Charger Pursuit started using Platinum plugs in 2011, primarily to reduce maintenance, and for more consistent spark with the crazy timing advance the 5.7 gets in that application (no tuner needed!)