AF: Quick ? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

I am driving my In-Laws 2017 Ram 2500 w/ the Cummins(they have our Exploder while their van is getting fixed) and I wanted to know if it is normal for it to take a long time to warm up. I have never owned a diesel power truck, so I am unfamiliar with the diesel quirks

Took about 20 min to reach 190 degrees, the ambient temp was about 40-45 degrees.

2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The bigger the engine, the slower they reach peak operating temp. How long did it take to reach a normal temp like 140°? My car rarely hits 190°...

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Diesel warm up time is more than gasoline engine warm up time, especially at low speeds and idle in cold weather. Once the engine is under load, it should warm up significantly. There are grille shutters and curtains, fuel and air heaters used on many arctic-duty diesels.

There is a TSB 18-052-18 that should be performed if it hasn't been already. One of the software corrections and enhancements:
    • Changes to engine warm up protection.
    It should be covered under powertrain/emissions warranty. See TSB here:
    https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/126744/00000000c0f09240

saltydog and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  4. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

When warming up an HD .. Wait till the RPM's drop before engaging the Trans. At -40 "plugged in" it takes my Gas about 5min.. I would estimate a diesel would be about 10 min. Once the RPM drops driving it will bring it up to op temp up.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  5. saltydog

My guess is about 10 mins or so.

6. saltydog

Thanks for the replies, it seems that is the norm.

BTW, the mid throttle punch is amazing! Almost make me want one!