Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race fan thread for NEW Allpar Members! Introduce yourself here!

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by moparbob, Feb 20, 2013.

1. con383

con383 Well-Known Member

And big welcom to you sir

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Welcome Ed,

That's a pretty impressive resume that you've got. I've also seen your name mentioned in some of the historical articles on the main Allpar page.

We've got a historical motorsports section all set up for you already (folder at the top of the Motorsports page). Take your pick - Nascar, USAC, NHRA, ARCA, TransAM, Sprint Cars, or Off-road. We've got plenty of room for your pictures and/or stories wherever your recollections lead you. I'm operating off fading 50 year old memories so any illuminating additions that you can offer will be well appreciated by myself and the other participants on the threads.

MoparNorm likes this.
  3. kpax478

kpax478 Member

Hi all, new to signing up but been following for a long time.I have a quick question to you all has it been tried? start a petition get up atleast 200k signatures and send it in to the people at FCA to let them know of our displeasure of seeing a race sponsered by them showing a car that won a championship while not participating in this sport.I have learned that real power is in numbers. This is only a thought.

4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

You can gather all the signatures you want but the only one that counts is SM's and he is seemingly dead set against NASCAR.

5. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Welcome to the forums.
    If you read the "Dodge out of NASCAR thread from the beginning, you will gleam the problem.
    I admire your spirit, and a grass roots might eventually have an impact, but my suspicion is it will take pressure on the dealers to pressure Dodge,,before anything changes. Sergio Marchionne has other plans for his discretionary funds.
    Sadly it's not in NASCAR and they are rapidly falling behind to the point where they can't step back in without spending a ton of cash, to catch up.

6. Mopar Jerry

Level III Supporter

Good afternoon. Mopar Norm what do you think the outside window of return would be without basically having to start from ground up,considering NASCAR is supposed to be compiling a book for any and all newcomers on building a start up program ? Dodge would have to redo the charger because of 2015 model changes correct ? Thanks. MOPAR Always !

7. moparbob

moparbob Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
    Level 2 Supporter

Welcome from the Moderators to the motorsports news section of Allpar.com Your background will serve us well, especially in the political arena of Chrysler's motorsports programs. If you happen to know what's going on behind the scenes, please let us in on what is happening.

8. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Any effort requires an engine shop, or leased engines. That is a huge expense. Sadly Penske was at the pinnacle when he closed his Dodge engine shop. There are many, many chassis builders, although the factories (OEM's) are stamping some of the Gen 6 body panels. So the expense is there, to do it right. The trick is finding co-sponsors to eliminate or mitigate the cost.
    The NASCAR "book" means little to a top tier team looking to win the title.
    I am not optimistic that there will be a Dodge return, until and unless there is a bundle of cash at Dodge, or the Dodge CEO pushed Marchionne to do so.
    Ralph placed all of his credibility with M to push racing. Others can now see that Ralph has been relegated to the back bench. The new Dodge CEO isn't in a hurry to get himself into the same pickle.

9. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Thanks for the welcome...............

MD80891............got to Hamtramck-Historical.com. Then go to Archives and from there go to the Vintage Racing box and then click on my picture where it says "41 years at Chrysler Engineering". I am standing next to a 288" Pro-Gas drag motor we used to run in 1977. It was a destroked 340". The engine was in a Duster driven by Ted Flack and sponsored by the Ramchargers. We would run power runs starting at 6400 rpm and go up to 10,000 rpm in 400 rpm increments. It was sweet!

10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

For the supposedly very modern-media oriented marketing head of Chrysler's "performance" achievements (she hasn't had very much to do along those lines lately), these sites probably serve as well as any petition would;

https://www.facebook.com/donetostayinnascar

https://www.facebook.com/groups/127229174100580/

Norm is right as to what you can do yourself - never underestimate the influence of the dealers when it comes to passing along customer feedback (or displeasure with company policy) to upper management. SM and the rest of top management meet with dealers at least once a year @ a big national shindig (often in Las Vegas).

11. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Well Ed,

As long as you brought that up, I have a question for you. I remember reading somewhere that the small block Mopar motor that Bob Glidden used in his Plymouth Arrow Pro Stocker when he went on a rampage in 1979 was a direct descendent of the small blocks that Flack and others (including Don Carlton in the "Mopar Missile") had been secretly experimenting with for several years in the mid 70s. Was there some link there?

[​IMG]

If you'd like to respond, we probably should move this whole topic over to the NHRA thread in the historical motorsports section.

12. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Yes there was..............we did an engine program that consisted of 3 engine sizes..............277"...........288"...........and 296". All de-stroked versions of the 340 using modifiied 305" crankshafts. We did intake manifolds (IR and Tunnel Ram), carbs (Holley Dominators and 4150"s) and various header diameters and lengths. Also, Dave Koffel managed to get a Chevy engine for us to compare to so that was good. I remember helping load 2 Plymouth Arrow "body in whites" on Glidden's truck for him to use.

Beentherebefore and MoparNorm like this.
  13. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Ed, thanks for coming to Allpar. We appreciate it!

MoparNorm likes this.
  14. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Well you guys did a phenomenal job. IIRC, that car went on to win every major NHRA meet that year, save two - and one of those was won by the Lambeck/Humphrey Hemi powered Volare. An interesting result from Glidden's rampage in that Plymouth Arrow was that NHRA finally abandoned the small block formula in Pro Stock that they had used for 8 or 9 years and which had pretty much spelled the end for the Hemi Mopars (like Ronnie Sox) that had dominated the early years of Pro Stock. Glidden pretty much disproved that "Brand C" small blocks would continue to dominate in NHRA P/S and I don't think that the NHRA vision for the class included dominance by small block powered Mopars :lol:. NHRA quickly reversed itself and switched to the 500" big blocks that they still use today.

15. Firecatman

Firecatman Member

Hi been reading and following the site forever it seems like, awesome site especially the motorsports section, we don't get much NHRA coverage in Canada so definitely love that. I've always been a Mopar guy, come from a Mopar family, dad grew up in the muscle car era, and his dad trained soldiers to drive Jeeps in WWII. But anyways thought I would finally post as tomorrow I'm headed to the inaugural NASCAR Canadian Tire Event in Wetaskwin, and since that's our only NASCAR series left with Mopar backing I thought I'd post a couple pictures up here if that's ok.
    And btw I was also at the Mopar IHRA Rocky Mountain Nationals last weekend and like always the Mopar presence was awesome, almost cleaned house (won in 6/8 events there was a Mopar entered and the one Chevy that won had a HEMI) and they had the Mopar display and truck set up with a few "Moparized" vehicles.
    And one more thing I just seen on Facebook Ram is down at the Calgary Stampede, made a big donation down there and claims that last year 1 in every 5 vehicles sold in Alberta was a FCA vehicle, we definitely know what to drive. (I'd post a link but it won't let me for some reason)

16. moparbob

moparbob Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
    Level 2 Supporter

Welcome to Allpar Firecatman!

We are the exclusive home for the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series as we cover & report on each race.

You may post pictures here but we ask that you provide sources where your material comes from so we can give credit to it's author & or for copyright purposes.

We are trying to expand our coverage into more motorsport events but we do have our limitations as we don't have enough reporters available at this time, maybe you would consider joining our reporting staff??

Also you must have a minimum of 10 posts in order to post pictures or links. (I think)

17. Firecatman

Firecatman Member

Thanks! Alright guess I should get postin, I got a few pictures from the race.

But definitley got to say the race Friday night was awesome! Some of the best racing I've seen in a while, the US NASCAR series could learn something from the Canadian Tire Series. The last 50 laps were crazy and saw some hard fought battles. If anyone likes good hard Friday night short track racing check out it out this weekend when they air it.

moparbob likes this.
  18. TEAM13MOPAR

TEAM13MOPAR New Member

hello everyone! My name is Brian, I was referred to this site by a friend, and I really found it interesting! I've been a Mopar nut my entire life, it was branded in my by my parents. My first car was a 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger. In 1992, I became involved in dirt track stock car racing, and have moved up the ranks through the years and now compete in the Limited Late Model class in Southern Pennsylvania. Feel free to check out my team website and learn more at www.brianlowery.com

Mike V. likes this.
  19. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Welcome Brian!

20. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Thanks for joining us Brian and thanks for being a loyal Mopar racer!

Mike