Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race fan thread for NEW Allpar Members! Introduce yourself here!

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by moparbob, Feb 20, 2013.

1. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

Hi, my name is Steve. Been visiting Allpar many, many years. Have been mostly reading and posting in the News and Rumors section. Proud to say I'm a 3rd generation Mopar guy. Grandfather started with a Dodge Brothers and his last was a 1969 Monaco. My parents got his next to the last car, a 1963 Dodge Custom 880. That's the car I learned to drive on. My parents had Chryslers, Plymouths and Dodges. And a Rambler wagon. My Dad had a 1954 Plymouth sedan, with a stick of course, about the time I turned 16 . So, I also learned to drive a stick. My first car was a nine year old 2-door 1963 Three Hundred, followed a year later with a 1964 300-K that was still almost like new. That was followed by a 1969 Charger R/T a couple years before the Dukes of Hazard. And a 1962 Valiant V200 sedan for better gas mileage. Went on to own 6 more Chargers, my favorite being the first of (4) 1973 Chargers, a Rallye with the 340/auto. Also had a red, 1971 Challenger. Have owned many other Chryslers, Plymouths and Dodges.

Anyway, was a car nut many years before I ever learned to drive. Loved the tailfin era Forward Look Dodges. Now what is most relevant to this site is that in visiting the local Dodge dealer in 1969, saw a poster on the wall of a Dodge Charger Daytona on the wall. To this day I still see that as the most awesome factory production car ever. I was 14 going on 15 at the time. I began watching NASCAR on TV whenever it was on. And I subscribed to Southern Motorsports Journal. My first favorite driver was Bobby Isaac in the bright red #71 Dodge. I rooted for him all throughout the 1970 season and was ecstatic when he won the Championship. Now I know everybody's wondering how I felt about King Richard. Well, he was my 2nd most favorite driver. I was and still am a Dodge guy first and foremost, and Richard was in a Plymouth.

2. moparbob

moparbob Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
    Level 2 Supporter

Welcome to the Motorsports News Forum. Hope you like to follow NHRA & IMSA racing as well. as these are our main focus here since there is no NASCAR for Dodge in the U.S. We do cover MOPAR though for the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series, we hope your around to watch these races & other coverage we provide.

3. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

Yes, to some degree I follow NHRA, ARCA, and other race series. Most of the time I work weekends and read about the results after the fact.

4. moparbob

Level 2 Supporter

If you have a smart phone or have X-Box, you can follow the races we show live as well!

Also we do follow the Trans Am series which is supported by MOPAR with Miller Racing, Cameron Lawrence & Joe Stevens.

5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

If you've still got any of those "Southern Motorsports Journal"s from the 60s and early 70s lying around they'd make great additions to our historical motorsports section. I see some of the old SMJ articles on some other boards that I participate on and have, on occasion, posted them on the historical Nascar threads.

6. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

Sad to say, I either sold them or gave them away about 20 years ago. I do still have many old car magazines and auto sales literature; some from the 1950s and 1960s, the rest much newer.

7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Yeah, that's what I did with most of the Mopar racing stuff I had saved from the 60s and early 70s when I got disgusted that Chrysler wouldn't come back into Nascar when they started to turn things around financially. They also cut back on support of NHRA drivers they had supported through their "Direct Connection" programs and I figured that we would never see Mopars in major motorsports competition. It depressed me to think about what they had once been so I just threw out or gave a lot of stuff away when my closets got full. Who could foresee the internet interest and the demand for all the Mopar nostalgia 25 years ago? Luckily, I had one or two boxes of really old stuff way up in my garage rafters that I just couldn't get to readily and that stuff forms the basis for a lot of what I've been posting in historical. If you find any articles of interest in those mags that aren't copyrighted, they'd be welcome in the historical sub-folder. Also, old Mopar racing/performance ads can obviously be posted here. Sometimes the sales literature featured Mopar race team news but I already threw most of mine away.

8. andrewjohn1317

andrewjohn1317 New Member

Hi Guy's My name is Andrew

I am new for This forum
    I've been visiting Allpar for just recently started reading through the forums.

Currently racing a limited schedule

9. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Welcome Andrew!
    What type of racing?

10. UKSteve

UKSteve New Member

Hi all Dodge leaving NASCAR brought me here been coming back ever since y'all do great work

11. moparbob

Level 2 Supporter

Thank you very much UK Steve, it's good to know we are able to reach out to new members & they recognize how hard we work to give you the best MOPAR motorsports news coverage! Thank you for tuning in & we hope you stick around for more!

12. CharlieE

CharlieE New Member

Hello I am Charlie, been a Mopar man for over 50 years. My First car was a 1958 Fury.

13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Hello Charlie,

You and I are of the same era, in fact I'm coming up on 60 years as a Mopar performance fan. My first car was a '57 DeSoto though I learned to drive in my Dad's '56. Do you have any old racing photos, articles, or Mopar ads around that you can post on our Historical racing threads?