Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing History - Mopars in NHRA

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Arlen Vanke's A990 lightweight '65 Plymouth. I'm vaguely remembering a story that Dick Maxwell of Chrysler's drag racing program asked Vanke specifically to build this car to reset the NHRA national SS/C record so that Grumpy Jenkins' special built lightweight SS/C Camaro wouldn't have a "soft" national record to run on (in those days your handicap index was the national record for the class you were running). Vanke blew the record out of the books (more than a half second quicker than the earlier record) and Jenkins' big win streak was over since he could no longer sandbag. Ed, pitch in here if you remember any details better than I do.

Arlen Vanke's '65 A-990 car.jpg

Arlen Vanke's A990 car for sale add.jpg

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

In connection to Redriderbob's mention in the main motorsports section of long-time Mopar Doorslammer racer Bob Marshal's competing at the Norwalk race last weekend, I thought I would post this article from a 2011 issue of ND. It features the all-original '65 Coronet A990 package car that Bob drove to victory @ the Norwalk Summit Nationals race back in 2011.

[​IMG]

3. caine440

caine440 Well-Known Member

The second photo of the Rossi Challenger in front of his trailer is a photo I took I believe at the Springnationals I am guessing 1979. I still have the original photo. Loved that car.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

You must have posted it somewhere on the net and somebody liked it enough to pick it up and post it onto Pinterest for all to share. It certainly was an impressive looking car. I chatted once or twice w/Rossi in the pits @ Pomona in the 80s. Too long ago to remember exactly about what, though - probably relating to the Direct Connection program. The Direct Connection sponsored drivers were very forthcoming with all sorts of tech information.

5. caine440

I have posted most of my photos to share with others. As a hobby I build 1/25 scale replicas of my favorite vintage Mopar drag racers. Mostly Pro Stock, Super Stock along with the odd AWB cars so I collect photos and old magazines for reference material and share them with others who have a similar interest.
    My basement looks like a shrine to Sox & Martin and Dick Landy.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  6. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Very interesting car history, all news to me about Bob Glidden originally wanting to have it built. There was a pretty good running PS Hemi Volare running the year before - that of Humphrey/Lambeck, built by Bob Lambeck. That car beat Glidden's Plym Arrow at the Mile-high Nationals in 1979, one of only 2 times that Glidden's Arrow got beaten that year. Pictures and more info on that car in post #258 on page 18 of this thread.

8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

As fate would have it, a photo of that 1979 Mile High Nationals race where the Humphrey/Lambeck Volare beat Bob Glidden's Plymouth Arrow in Pro Stock was just featured in the 7/14/17 issue of "National Dragster".

Humphrey-Lambeck Volare vs Glidden's @ Denver '79.jpg

Mike V. likes this.
  9. caine440

I recall correctly ,Bob went red.
    Here is a model I built a few years ago of the Volare.

Attached Files:

10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Now you have to do another one with the paint job it had when Butch Leal drove it ;).

11. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Could've posted this on the Nascar thread or, for that matter, the USAC thread.

It's a little more drag race oriented so.....................

Plymouth RR ad, 1968.jpg

12. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

"Jungle Pam" (shared from Pinterest)

Her boyfriend, "Jungle Jim", never raced a Mopar but she obviously took a liking to this one ;).

Jungle Pam leaning on Mopar.jpg

13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Would you believe..............a Dodge Magnum Funny Car?

Grand Spaulding Dodge Magnum FC.jpg

(photo shared from Pinterest)

14. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Page from the June, 1971 issue of Car Craft magazine (shared from Pinterest) showing some of the early Dodge Funny Cars;

Early Dodge Funny Cars in '71 Car Craft mag.jpg

15. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Great shot (shared from Pinterest) of the Vanleuwen-Neal & Miner SS/EA Max-wedge '64 Belvedere. This car was a staple of West Coast NHRA racing for many years. Although it never won a major NHRA National event, this car did win some NHRA regional points meets, IIRC. More recently, it has run in nostalgia SS events.

Vanleuwen-Neal-Miner '64 SSer.jpg

16. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Not anymore but there was a time when Dodge could tie their Funny Car teams directly to what they sold on the showroom floors..........

Dodge '68 Funny Car related ad.jpg

17. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I posted some stuff about Al Corda and his Mopars back on page 11 of this thread but here's an additional one that just showed up on Pinterest. Cool looking '64 Plymouth convertible which, IIRC, won at least one NHRA National event.

Al Corda's '64 Plym convertible II.jpg

18. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Some other photos of Paul Rossi's Mopars on P17, but IIRC, he actually started out in SS in this '68 Hemi 'Cuda;

Paul Rossi's '68 Hemi 'Cuda.jpg

(photo shared from Pinterest)

19. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

You can tell from the prices that this ad was placed eons ago but there are one or two of these still actively racing in NHRA SS/C or SS/D.

AMX SS for sale ad.jpg

20. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Wasn't that long ago that Mopar marketing really knew how to stick it to it's rivals in the Funny Car wars. Great ad - with a little modification could be used against John Force's team to this day...............

Direct Connection ad mocking GM & Ford FCs.jpg

And, I might add as a caution, a reason to be very careful about tooting off about a "Dodge" powered by a spec motor based on another company's block.