NewsDemon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon • Ram Longhorn to match trailers

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

radiator replacement advice needed

Discussion in 'Omni · Horizon and Derivatives' started by 82JustinHorizon, Dec 4, 2016.

1. 82JustinHorizon

82JustinHorizon New Member

Hello all , nice to see this web forum.

I recently bought an 82 Horizon 1.7 that happens to have a worn out radiator. The Hose adapter locations have become weakened and have some cracks so it is slowly leaking coolant.

Tried to repair it but it seems to not be worth the risk so decide to replace

I was able to find 82 replacement radiators but I was just wondering if I need the part for the exact year or if others will fit.

Thank you for reading

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. I would go with the specified 1982 replacement. There were differences in cooling fans, A/C (Max Cool) or not and Automatic transaxle or not.
    The 2.2L version was the same radiator, but the upper and lower hoses were different.
    There were 4 different radiators offered. I imagine that the aftermarket radiator is a one-size-fits-all. All 20.5" wide shown on figure 7-1400 (item # 11) here:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Chrysler_Service_Parts_Catalog/CD2/82-96PassCar/82p.pdf
    Perform a thorough flush and use an aluminum-safe antifreeze with soft (distilled) water.

3. 82JustinHorizon

Thanks for your reply. I took your advice and TRIED to buy the part for my year, turned out not to be in stock anywhere , so im really hoping the 83 radiator will fit.

4. 82JustinHorizon

my car is non ac and it originally had the larger sized radiator

it turns out that i ordered a radiator that was to small for the existing upper rad hose , mounting brackets and fan. im not sure if i even had a choice.

had to bolt on a piece of angled steel with pre drilled holes and got the thing to sit without to much trouble. also had to replace existing upper rad hose. first off put in a straight piece which started kinking really badly so spliced 2 hoses together for a nice fit. used solid copper wire to tie on the fan . also the fan switch sensor was a different size than that which i had from the original rad and instead of getting the part i just installed a toggle switch for when im sitting in traffic. not to sure how wise that choice .

my new problem is now emerging : the paint is breaking out with spot rust. when i bought the thing the paint was mint and pretty much everything else as well. so i believe that i will need to do something about that in the not to distant future , not sure exactly what though.

also, can anyone comment on the durability of the clutch in this car? i think i may have been a little rough with it at times but so far seems to be holding up ok.

also again , ive never owned such an old car . i imagine that certain parts may need to be re greased. i noticed the speedometer seems to be a little jerky maybe needs oil

ImperialCrown likes this.
  5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Several years ago I picked up a '82 Omni that had the 1.7L/4 speed manual as a run about. It was in rough shape but it passed inspection. I forget how many miles it had - well over 100,000. Never had a problem with the clutch though 1st gear eventually went. Sold it to some Mexicans who drove it starting out in 2nd gear and two years after I sold it, it was still running. When I took it in to have the 1st gear issue checked, the tech said it wasn't worth repairing (it was $300 just to drop the transmission for diagnosis), but he did say the clutch was in good shape.

6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES" Level 2 Supporter

Test-drove a brand new 78 Horizon and found the clutch to be HORRIBLE. Very grabby, kept stalling it. Took me 20 minutes to go two blocks and park it again.

7. 82JustinHorizon

ya mine feels different but from all the other manual cars ive drivvin but i guess its sposed to be that way

8. 82JustinHorizon

quick update here and a couple questions if anyone is able to help:

so since i posted here i had a water pump and fuel pump fail on me. got those jobs finished with some difficulty but good results. anywone care to predict the next issue?

so 2 questions :

first , if anywone here listening had read my previous posts i mentioned that i had to install a manual fan switch. the thing works just fine except that when i disconnect i get the spark between the contacts. i just clued in that that cant be good !! diode didnt get rid of spark... is that spark ok?

second i have a bit of white foamy stuff in my oil. it seems to be present intermittently , never had that on a car before. also there seems to be some pressurized air escaping the dipstick hole. is that normal?

9. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Check your PCV (Positive Crankcase Valve) for obstruction or failure.

As to the fan switch, you should diagnose and fix the fan issue instead of bypassing it. It may be as simple as a bad relay, ground issue or worn/bad wiring.

10. GLHS60

GLHS60 Member

White stuff in Engine oil indicates coolant/oil mixing.

Common with the 1.7, normally a head gasket, could be a cracked head etc.

Pressurized air escaping from the dip stick indicates Engine blow by.

A functioning PCV can absorb some but often a hose gets attached to direct the fumes away.

High mileage Engines often develop blow by, but many run for years after.

Cooling fan issues were problematic and often auxiliary switches were employed.

Contaminated Engine oil would be a more pressing issue to monitor.

A cooling system pressure test would be in order.

Thanks
    Randy

11. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Sometimes cooler weather and/or short trip driving will allow condensation to form inside the valve cover and dipstick tube. It can be normal in the winter months in the North.
    Oil life is shortened in the winter cold. Summer driving allows the moisture built up inside the engine to evaporate and be drawn out the PCV.
    Regular oil changes and a properly functioning PCV are important.

valiant67 likes this.
  12. awyseguy

awyseguy Member

When I was having radiator issues with my '86 Turismo, I found a local radiator shop that recored it for me. Upgraded it to a 3 row while they were at it, since I was in Phoenix and I didn't have time to fix the cracked head. Still managed to not overheat pulling a loaded trailer from PHX to Chicago.