AF: Radio button controls on back of steering wheel | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio button controls on back of steering wheel

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by wolfsblood07, Jun 18, 2020.

1. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

I had owned my 2014 Dodge Avenger for at least several months before I discovered the buttons to change stations and control volume on the back of the steering wheel. Is this unique to Chrysler? It's a good idea!

2. JA Cumbo

JA Cumbo Enjoying the ride.
    Supporter

My 99 300M had the volume controls on the back of the wheel. my 05 300C has the controls on the wheel spokes. Its handy, I just have to be careful and not bump the media button by accident and end up on some weird AM station.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  3. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

My 16 caravan has it. Its funny how you get used to to it...it seems so 1990 to reach out 1 foot to adjust the volume.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Chrysler has had this since option the 1990s, other than a brief switch to the front of the wheel with the LX cars.

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Keeping controls on and within easy finger-reach of the steering wheel makes cars safer. With circuit multiplexing and LIN bus, more controls can be added with less bulk and expense.
    Speed controls on the steering wheel makes mode selection easier. Paddle shifters help to keep both hands on the wheel, instead of reaching for an AutoStick. Hands-free phone is still a mental distraction, but allows for both hands on the wheel.
    The old SearchTune radios will seek up the band by depressing a floor switch next to the floor high-beam switch. Floor switches had corrosion and dirt issues.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  6. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

I love the steering wheel controls. The controls on our Dodges and Grand Cherokee are so easy to use. My wife's Corvette has steering wheel audio controls, but they're mounted on separate paddles and you have to take your eyes off the road to use them. Although I love the retractable face on the Corvette radio with a storage cubbie behind it. I'd love that feature in my Mopars.

7. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

I never use them.

8. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

My salesman showed me them.

Then helped pair my phone.

My 15 Ram with 60k has been a joy from day one.

9. wolfsblood07

Does any other carmaker put buttons on the back of the steering wheel?

10. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Pretty sure the 2019 Impala that I rented last summer had them.

wolfsblood07 and Ryan like this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yes, most new GM products have them located on the back of the steering wheel.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  12. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

I absolutely love the rear-of-the-wheel-mounted radio controls. Chrysler has basically had them since the late-90s and I think they nailed them from the get-go. I hope they never change! I absolutely hate the cars that put those same features on the front side of the wheel. You simply cannot as easily navigate and use those buttons with you thumbs as you can with your fingers on the back side.

13. wolfsblood07

Putting the radio buttons on the back of the steering wheel is great because drivers have no reason to take their eyes off the road to use them. It also makes the steering wheel less crowded to have those buttons on the back.

Bob Lincoln and tlc like this.
  14. plymouth1

plymouth1 Well-Known Member

I don't either. I know they are there but I'm used to doing it the old fashioned way by habit lol

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  15. wolfsblood07

I like the old fashioned way too. I use the back of the wheel buttons but not all the time.

16. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Don't have a choice on my '06 Ram 1500 - no radio controls on the steering wheel. I believe the first vehicle that had any sort of radio controls on the steering wheel was the '00 T&C Ltd we had for a while. Both Journey's had them on the back side while out Equinox has them on the front.

17. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

I like the buttons on the radio, can have the wife operate them, actually have no choice.

18. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

One other plus to the back of the wheel buttons, as well as paddle shifter placement on the wheel vs column is That it trains the driver to keep their hands at the 9 and 3 positions. Much safer as you don’t need to shuffle your hands along the wheel in normal driving. you can keep both hands on the wheel at all times, and keeps the air bag from helping you to punch yourself in the face in case of an accident.

Donte Lindsey and wolfsblood07 like this.
  19. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

Yep, and Fiat liked it enough to begin using the Chrysler audio controls on many of it's own models, including some Maseratis.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  20. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

We had them on our 05 T&C Touring edition, once you figured out which did what it was great, My wife used it more than I did as that was her ride. Our current "family" vehicle is a 2011 Ford Flex and it has steering wheel controls for the speed control and "infotainment" systems including a "phone" button that will bring up a phone menu. It also has voice control for calling, but if you have more than one number for a person you have to be specific, ie, to call my wife, it brings up her name and a "2" after it, if I say call xxxx xxxx at home it will dial the house phone, if I say mobile it will call her cell.

Humerous part, the Ford Sync system is made by Micro$oft, but plays well with others, in our case iPhones, but it works with Android also.