AF: Radio-related question for Jeremy Schrag (or anybody who's built a | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio-related question for Jeremy Schrag (or anybody who's built a

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by Rickety, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Rickety

Rickety Member

Hello, I've been lurking the site for awhile but just made this account to ask for help.
    I have a Mitsubishi CD/cassette/radio (model P04704383AE, circa 1998) recently bought off of eBay. It works just great - following Jeremy Schrag's guide, I cleaned all the buttons & sliders on the face PCB, which eliminated dirtiness & flickering lights in the EQ and fader, so it works even better. However, the CD player still refuses to play modern CD-Rs.

I tried the 1/16th turns clockwise and counterclockwise on the laser power pot, without any success (with the CD port facing right, looking in through the side as pictured in Schrag's guide). Actually, going clockwise even 1/16th resulted in being unable to play CD-Rs or CDs both. I can't actually get in there enough to see the laser lens and tell if it's dirty; I only know that it will reliably play commercial CDs only. Could it just be a matter of having a dirty lens? It's worth noting that my particular radio's face PCB was held on with two screws, and thus is a little different than the one in the guide. But still - a laser power pot is a laser power pot, right?

Going further, would be possible to swap-out the CD module in my unit with the CD module in a newer Mitsubishi radio (maybe one of the RAZ models)? If such a swap could happen, would it be very likely to solve the issue, or are those slightly-newer units just as picky about copied media?

If the swap can't happen, are there any other practical ways to modernize the CD module? Seems like I remember reading about some company which offered modern radios packaged in vintage-like bodies. That would be very cool, if the price is right.

Any help here would be much appreciated. I know I can just slap an aftermarket radio in there and it would work great, but in a perfect world, I'll get to keep my CD-R functionality AND have an OEM look in the dashboard. I already have mods in place for the amplifier remote-on and aux-in for MP3 players (in the form of a low-power relay and wired FM modulator). He'p me, Mr. Schrag! He'p me!
    Also, sorry about the insane wall of text up there.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. You could try a gentle cleaning of the pickup lens, but some players will refuse to play home recorded CDs. You could try recording on another CD burner or seeing what format you are recording in.
    My wife's old '02 Caravan factory CD player would play anything we put into it while our home 2009 Magnavox CD/DVD player would be finicky about initializing some home recordings.
    Chrysler released a bulletin about it and the newer players seem to be more accepting of various CD-R/CD-RWs.
    http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2003/08-028-03.htm

3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Even when these units were new, some just refused to play CDRs. Many people had better success using certain brands of media and recording at a lower speed.

4. Oklahoma Wolf

Oklahoma Wolf What sanity?

Some of those just won't play ball no matter how you fiddle with the laser power. I would be very careful about swapping in newer modules... might work, might not.

5. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Mark is right. Your only chance is to try different brands of CDs, and record them at 1x speed.

I found that my old deck would not play current 700 MB CDs, but would play homeburned 650 MB CDs, if recorded at 1x.

6. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

Oh, if only the newer radios didn't require the CANBUS to operate. :( It would not be too hard to retrofit the rectangular radios (Like the RES, REN, etc.) to the older vehicles.

7. TigerMountain

TigerMountain Member

My problem: 1999 Sebring Alpine AM/FM/CD Casette head unit won't recognize CD player via mode switch (AM/FM/CD). I'm trying to use the 8 pin DIN plug on the back of the head unit to attach a device called: Direct Audio Input From iPod Dock Connector to 1999-2001 Chrysler Radio w/8-Pin CD Changer Input which I purchased via Amazon and which is branded Apogee.

Seller insists I must get my radio head unit to "recognize" that something is connected to the 8 pin DIN port - but I am unable to do so.

All suggestions welcome. ps I am technically competent enough to make a cable using several of the DIN pins connected to a 3.5mm jack to connect my iPod but that's my last choice as a solution.

TIA Seattle

8. RickyinCanada

RickyinCanada Member

Hi Jerry, If I replace the radio in my 2009 caravan with the exact same model radio, do I still have to do something for the van to recognize it?
    I don’t want to spend the money at a wrecker only to discover that I still have to take it to a dealership to get it to work. Thank you.

9. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

My 2005 caravanwould play any CD I recorded to.

10. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. What is the sales code of your radio? Should be 3 white letters in the lower, right hand corner beginning with 'R'. Some radios may have the S.C. elsewhere on the faceplate.

Some radios are plug n' play, some are not. The original vehicle's VIN is recorded into the software, but that may or may not matter for operation.

There are CAN bus 'emulators' available to help with swapping newer radios to older vehicles and adding options such as steering wheel controls, etc. I have an emulator so I can run a radio on a workbench.

[​IMG]

11. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The 2009 radio may require a security code, at least for the fancier radios.

12. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

If you match the part number you should be ok. Note the last letter is a revision code only and should not affect the compatibility of the radio. As for theft codes, many of the nav systems will need a code. If the replacement radio says 'antitheft' on the faceplate, it may need a code. Note the code can be gotten from a dealer using the S/N of the radio. You may run into a hassle if you can't prove that you bought the radio legitimately.

From what I gather, your T and C has the high-speed canbus. You should be able to replace with any other radio with a high-speed canbus but the radio won't indicate so beware. Even radios with the same RES code can use a different canbus; this is where the part number comes into play.

Why do I know this? I just replaced the single cd/siriusxm/antitheft RES radio in my 2014 200 with a 6-cd/siriusxm REQ radio. After much research I learned i needed a low-speed canbus. Found a new 2008 REQ low-speed canbus that was plug and play, no code required.

If you happen across an RAQ, grab it - 6-cd and NO canbus.

13. AgentSkelly

AgentSkelly Active Member

I actually have an RES radio I pulled from my wife's 2010 T&C sitting around if someone wants it.

I also have an RAQ radio that I will be pulling out of my WK soon.

As for the CDs, yeah, my understanding is that its with using data CD-Rs as music CDs with pre-1995 players; if you can find audio-only CDs, apparently they have higher compatibility with the Red Book spec.

14. Jerry Simcik

No, in your case, it should be plug-&-play.

The issue I was referring to would occur if you were to attempt to put the radio from your 2009 into a 1999 model.

15. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

My 1998 Caravan wouldn't play CD-R discs.
    Walked over to the radio lab and asked them...
    They weren't supposed to. It was mentioned something about copyright infringements of music. (it's been a few years, I don't remember the exact verbiage.)

Good luck. You may find a workaround...

16. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with copyright.

The problem is the table of contents track (TOC) on the cd-r. Music cds are 740 MBytes and cd-r cds are 800 MBytes. To fit more tracks on a cd-r the TOC is moved closer to the center. The older cd readers could not position the laser in far enough to read the TOC. It may be possible to mess with the laser sled to get it to move in further. I don't recall if Jeremy Schrag covers this adjustment in his tutorials at www.allpar.com/stereo/

17. Jerry Simcik

Interesting - did not know that about the TOC. There was also an issue with the power output of the lasers, I believe? As I recall, you could turn a pot a bit higher and have much better results playing back CD-RW discs, especially colored ones...