AF: Ram 1500: official (w/movie) | Page 159 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ram 1500: official (w/movie)

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by redriderbob, Jan 15, 2018.

1. BillyRaff

BillyRaff Active Member

Thanks guys, I am leaning now towards a Laramie Quad Cab, 4x4 with the 5.7 (No eTorque) and sport package. I've read conflicting reports that the hood vents are functional/nonfunctional. any thoughts?

GasAxe likes this.
  2. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Ford is planning a Hybrid 150. Standby for more competition.

3. Dodgeguy1961

Dodgeguy1961 Well-Known Member

I am planning on buying a 2019 Ram late this year. Does anyone have any idea what the rebates my be like then?

4. Dodgeguy1961

One of the best things about owning a truck is that it is relatively simple and dependable machine. I know that hybrids are coming but that is just more mechanical, electrical and software issues that could become a maintenance nightmare. I much prefer the simplicity of the Ram mile hybrid stop/start system.

ramajama likes this.
  5. jwp44

jwp44 Active Member

Could someone tell us how the eLocker rear differential on Rebels and Off Road package on other trims work when needing traction for slippery on road conditions? Can this eLocker be used on slippery paved roads when wet or is it only for off road use? When not engaged, is it only an open differential? The ram I had years ago had an open differential and if the roads were wet and you had to punch it to merge into traffic, the rear tires would just spin and you would just have to wait until you could ease slowly into traffic flow. If it is an open differential, then I would probably go with a Laredo 4WD with anti-spin differential. Thanks for any information about this.

6. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

The eLocker is said to be an open differential when not engaged. Plenty of owners have said that it has spun the wheels like anti spin differential they previously had.

That said, you engage it when you get in. It will disengage at 26 mph and will engage again when the speed drops below 20mph.
    It will remain engaged until you shut the truck off. Then when you restart you will have to engage the button. And then the same.

No one has driven the 2019 Ram in severe winter conditions yet.

But a member at 5thGenRams.com has driven in snow(about 2 inches fell the other day where he lives) , but didn't engage the eLocker, but said he had no issues with traction at all.

What I know so far about it.

jwp44 likes this.
  7. jwp44

jwp44 Active Member

Thank you sir---this puts any concerns I had about Rebel's on road traction at rest. Before you posted this info I did not know if eLocker could be engaged on paved roads without causing mechanical problems.

Devildodge likes this.
  8. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

I was looking through some posts on one of the Ram forums and came across this posted by the owner of a '19 Laramie.
    'I took my wife and daughter out for ice cream and overheard a guy telling his wife how sharp looking that Toyota was. I was confused as I didn’t see one in the lot. Turns out he was referring to my “ forward facing “ Ram lol...' The next comment after it by the owner of a '17 Ram was:'
    I saw a Tundra coming straight at me a few days ago and for a moment or two, thought it was the 2019 Ram' .
    This would have never happened with the previous 3 generations of Rams. Brand identity was thrown away with the DT's.

wvutuba likes this.
  9. Dodgeguy1961

I think the DT's look great. It's more of an upscale and refined look for RAM.

page2171, ScramFan, tlc and 2 others like this.
  10. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

If anything, the 2007 Tundra copied the big rig look of the Ram.

11. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

It says RAM on the front. And the other truck says TOYOTA on the front.

jwp44, ScramFan and tlc like this.
  12. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

You knew by the design of the previous gens what was coming at you, didn't need the nameplate or a badge. It was very distinctive. Now it is not. Toyota copied Ram in '07. Ram returned the favor 12 years later.

CherokeeVision and wvutuba like this.
  13. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

But they look nothing like a toyota.....

jwp44, ScramFan, Ryan and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ryan

Ram evolved their style from the current truck, and since Toyota copied the DS, there are still some similarities. I can't believe this is even still being brought up.

#3175 Ryan, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    danbek, crouchta, jwp44 and 3 others like this.
  15. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

Honestly, all the trucks are starting to look alike.

The other day there was a DT Ram at a stoplight, it was dark out, and as it drove past I recognized it was actually a Sierra. The LED running lights are similar. Then I also had a double take on a Tundra that passed me, where in profile I had thought it was a DT.

Be mindful I'm looking for these new trucks when I drive, as they are ludicrously priced and few and far between in my parts thus far.

freshforged and valiant67 like this.
  16. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

Thank you for your honesty, and shot of reality. Many here wearing rose coloured glasses.

17. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

For sure.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the new Ram is the best looking truck on the market, inside and out. If anyone tries to argue that it lost its distinctive look I think that's very subjective, however, I'd ask them to put the new Ram beside the old Ram. The old Ram was a Ram, I don't know how else to explain it. The styling spoke for itself, and was distinct. The new Ram looks like a gorgeous truck, however, had it had a GMC badge on the grille instead of RAM, I'd argue one would not have been surprised to know that the new truck was a GMC.

CherokeeVision and GasAxe like this.
  18. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

Really . . . you just can't believe ?
    Why can't forum members be critical thinkers ?

I'll fix your comment for you

Ram devolved their style from the current truck, and since Toyota evolved to the DS, there are some similarities. This will be discussed for ever and ever and ever and ever !

:p

19. Ryan

Believe what? That Ram, for some reason, copied Toyota, one of the least-successful truck brands on the market, for the 2019 Ram 1500?

I do think it's a bit extreme to say someone is not capable of critical thinking just because they disagree with your opinion that the Ram looks like a Tundra.

Opinions on design are highly individual.

If I think it looks unique and I can still see Ram cues, that doesn’t mean I’m wearing rose-colored glasses.

#3180 Ryan, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018