Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ram 2500 Power Wagon Takes #1 Spot(vs. Raptor and Colorado ZR2)

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by BEEAH, Aug 7, 2017.

1. BEEAH

BEEAH Active Member

Cool stuff!

Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 vs. Ford F-150 Raptor vs. Ram 2500 Power Wagon (at http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram/2500/2017/chevrolet-colorado-zr2-vs-ford-f-150-raptor-vs-ram-2500-power-wagon/ )

2. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

Nice article. The description of the road is very accurate, though for adventurers, it is absolutely beautiful country!!

I live in the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador and have driven the TLH multiple times over the last few years to access some kayaking expeditions. We call Labrador "The Big Land" for a reason. :)

Zagnut27, UN4GTBL and edgecrusher like this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

For the price, the ZR2 looks like it did incredibly well (nearly $20,000 less than the others). It would have been nice if they’d described the Rebel which obviously went along with the others.

Too much scenery and too little car...

Shane Estabrooks and valiant67 like this.
  4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Good for the Ram, but the Colorado ZR2 looks like a formidable challenger to the upcoming Jeep truck.
    That will be an interesting matchup to see.

Hemidakota, BEEAH and GasAxe like this.
  5. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I first subscribed to Motor Trend after reading the article on their European road trip with the just released SRT Challenger in 2008. This article reminds me how much I enjoy road trip stories from a car/truck centric point of view.

x2 on how well the Colorado ZR2 did. It will be an interesting match up against the Jeep.

Zagnut27 and UN4GTBL like this.
  6. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

Personally, I think the ZR2 and the JT will generally appeal to different groups though there will always be cross shopping. I'm sure they will both be capable but they have very different approaches (which is what has always differentiated the Wrangler). As a side note, the large amount of stutter styled bumps on the TLH described in the article, don't play to the suspension design/implementation of the current JK. Any extra wheel base given to the JT would help :)

BASONE88 likes this.
  7. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Impressive review and journey to prove out the threesome. I would like to see a Rebel comparison.

8. Chase300

Chase300 Active Member

All that was noted on the Rebel was it had the air suspension....and that it pretty much kept up though a bit slower pace on some stretches, but had no failures.

UN4GTBL and Dave Z like this.
  9. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Also while we're discussing MotorTrend, it really irritates me that they have "Refreshing or Revolting" articles where they ask for comments and input yet they have comments disabled on their site. That doesn't make any sense.

Zagnut27, UN4GTBL and Dave Z like this.
  10. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

The Ram has become a very popular choice in the communities along this highway, largely a result of the rear coil suspension's ability to minimize the stutters in the road. The coils are generally thought to be more compliant than the air suspension that was in the Rebel they had along.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  11. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Remember, the Colorado ZR2 crossed the Rubicon without needing a tow.....and the Ranger/Bronco are coming and is targeting both the GM twins and the Wrangler.

Zagnut27 and valiant67 like this.
  12. Chase300

Chase300 Active Member

True, but the main complaint was the V6 and 8-speed don't talk between themselves very well and is most noticeable in daily driving.
    No thanks.
    Seems GM not putting the 4.3L V6 in it an oversight?

13. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I suspect JT will be a big, BIG, but internationally. I suspect THAT is a major, major reason they are doing the midsize FCA truck as a Jeep, and not a Dodge, er... Ram. Keep has much wider appeal and name recognition.

14. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

Bronco will be DOA as it’s been said to not have a 2 door variant.

ramajama likes this.
  15. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

I saw two ZR2's at a GM dealership. They look pretty good. My wife didn't particularly like the front fenders but over all it was well done. I kinda thought it would be a bit higher but that is a personal opinion. Price was fairly realistic and I think with the locking differentials would do quite well in the winter.

It was a dealership that shared it's lot with a Dodge dealership. Probably same owners.

The Red Pearl Power Wagon on the lot was very impressive, even in a dark red, it sure stands out. I would prefer a lighter colour. Hopefully they do an orange Power Wagon someday. It won the Motor Trend comparison for a reason, it is still the best all around truck being built and very popular around here.

Wil

BASONE88 likes this.
  16. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

And the ZR2 certainly limits what a Jeep truck can sell for to some degree. Jeep now has to beat an established competitor rather than creating its own segment. That's what happens when delays are the method of operation.

17. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

I think a great comparison would be comparing the '17 Rubicon vs the new ZR2 until the JL comes out.

WIl

18. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

19. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

20. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

The Cherokee crossed the Rubicon too. ;)
    While out of the box capability and competition are very important, there are many elements to a Wrangler (from easily lifted suspension design to open air driving) that will be very difficult for many of the competition to emulate. The Wrangler truly is a lifestyle vehicle and as long as Jeep can build on that, they will differentiate themselves in the market.

Possibly. I still think the Jeep will be seen as established and the truck another version of that establishment. Its differences in design and style will set it apart more than the ZR2 is from the Colorado line. As for delays, we know the JT could not be built without the plant shuffle for a variety of reasons, not the least of which included production capacity and the inability to run any vehicle longer than the current JKU at the Supplier Park. As far as I can tell, those monumental plant shuffles are largely on schedule and so should the JT.

UN4GTBL, Mr. Fusion and DAGAR like this.