Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ram 2500 Power Wagon Takes #1 Spot(vs. Raptor and Colorado ZR2)

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by BEEAH, Aug 7, 2017.

1. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Omg, I cant wait till Im a Power Wagon owner,,,,:)

2. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

That lil Chevy may be a lot less expensive but aside from just being smaller...it's also just cheaply made. The exterior has cheap looking trim and bits...and the interior fit, finish and materials are straight outta 1993. Its really bad. But thats been Chevy's M.O. For years, So its not surprising.
    Its jut a cheap lil truck..with a great off road package.

3. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

I hope the people buying New Powerwagon take good care of them. My next purchase will be a used 2017 Powerwagon blue, red or green with the Macho letters. Only other option I care about is Ram box. Sun roof would be nice.

Anyone buying one, keep me in mind.

Most of my time at Truck Nationals was spent inspecting this truck.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  4. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Having been around a lot of Colorados, the interior is absolutely not straight out of 1993. There are a few cheap materials placed around the cabin, but there are in a Ram too. The Colorado interior, to me, feels even higher quality and more solid than the Silverado. It won Truck of the Year two years in a row, so that should at least say something.

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

While there is no doubt the 2017 Rubicon is more capable, the ZR2 at $43615 (as tested) is going to swing price conscious buyers if the Jeep truck carries a premium beyond the Wrangler. And remember at one time it was proclaimed there would be no low trim levels for the Jeep pickup (of course this was back when FCA was confident it could get more premium prices for the 200 and Pacifica, one of which had some success and the other did not). I wish the Jeep truck well - I'm sure it will sell. But it's now coming into a more crowded market than if it had debuted a year or two ago. And when there is stronger competition, margins can take a hit as most buyers are price sensitive to some degree.

6. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

What about a comparison between the Power Wagon and the Toyota "TURD" Tundra and the Nissan "Blowing blue smoke" Titan?

7. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

The JKU outsells the JK by what, 3, 4 to 1 and two door pickups are fading into fleet obscurity. Not having a 2 door variant won't be what determines if the Bronco sinks or swims.

DAGAR, valiant67 and Erik Latranyi like this.
  8. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

The 1993 comment was a joke son. But Chevy interiors were cheap then, now and always will be. Aside from the LCD vehicle info screen and the infotainment (which is crappy) the Coloado's interior is embarrassing. You can not even begin to discount the RAMs interior due to a few minor, low quality pieces because its miles ahead in many other aspects. Not even close.

View: https://youtu.be/9PLN7-OygbE

Go to 6.35 and you'll get a look. Terribly cheap. Winning truck of the year doesnt change that fact one little bit. To say its higher qaulity than the Silverado definitely ain't saying much. Cause that interior is a POS. LOL!!
    I guess it comes down to taste? You either got it or you dont. ;)

9. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

Depends on the price. And I personally would pay more if the version of the Jeep looks better.

A lot of the general public do pay more for the 'Rubicon' look and don't even take advantage of most of it's features, when a model of more economical pricing would suffice.

While the ZR2 looked ok, the front bumper doesn't fit as well as compared to today's Jeep. My wife out right didn't like the front of the ZR2. If most women have the same opinion (speculating) then that is taking away a lot of the sales market.

Do women influence the market?? I think so. When we were test driving 3/4 ton trucks, my wife was really suggesting the RAM over the GMC. Did she have any idea on the specs? Nope, but she definitely has a say if I want to come home to a happy house for a while...

Overall, for my usage, neither the Jeep or ZR2 fit my needs. They are cute but limiting. GM has done a great job with the new Canyon and I see a lot of them around now, but I really don't fit in them to well and the mileage isn't much better compared to a regular 1/2 ton.

Wil

10. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

I am surprised to see the Ram won. Not that it's a bad truck but the Raptor has a superior powertrain. Goes to show that a great truck setup can overcome its weaknesses. Imagine the Power Wagon with the 8 speed!
    I wonder if the Chevy ZR2 with the Diesel would have won in their view?

I'm not that much of a Chevy fan but have you been in any post-bankruptcy GM at all? It sounds like you haven't. The Colorado isn't just nice inside for a truck, it's nice inside.
    http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2017/05/2017-Chevrolet-Colorado-ZR2-interior.jpg
    This is 1993:
    http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/16001786.jpg

Part of being a fan is not being a fan boy. It's acknowledging when competitors offer good vehicles and improving what you offer to be able to best them.
    Personally I am not a fan of the steering wheel controls on the Chevy, and the headlight area's plastic trim leaves a bit to be desired, but look at the massive sea of black plastic in the Ram.
    http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2016/02/2017-Ram-2500-Power-Wagon-interior-02.jpg

I know it's cheaper but I think manufacturers need to stop doing the whole "Button blank" thing. That's one of the biggest things that makes the Ram interior look cheaper. The HVAC has 2 blanks and the lower stack has 5. On a $60k truck, there are 7 blank buttons just in the center.
    http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2017/05/2017-Chevrolet-Colorado-ZR2-interior.jpg
    The ZR2 doesn't have any blanks. The button to the right of the hazards, the exhaust brake on the Diesel, still has a function on the Gas engines.
    On the base models, they just have bigger buttons.
    http://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...og/02-pdf/2017-chevrolet-colorado-catalog.pdf

DarkSky and GasAxe like this.
  11. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

If you can remove the top on the Jeep truck, it will be a huge advantage for Jeep.

dmcdonald and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  12. BEEAH

BEEAH Active Member

All that black "plastic" is not hard injection molded plastic, that is soft touch material. When you tap most of it with your knuckles it makes no sound at all. The door trim, dash etc...

13. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I don't need to look at videos to compare the interior of the Ram and the Colorado when I'm around both trucks on a daily basis. The Colorado has a decent interior with a few cheap bits. The Ram has a decent interior with a few cheap bits.

FCA would be lucky to have a midsize truck as good as the Colorado. Maybe they will soon.

Shane Estabrooks and valiant67 like this.
  14. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

That sentence pains me greatly. FCA having to play catch-up in a segment Chrysler created 30 years ago.

ramajama, wtxiceman, somber and 2 others like this.
  15. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

The radio bezel / surround is mainly what I meant, and it's not soft touch. GM did a better job of "Breaking up" that area so it didn't look like 1 giant plastic mold.
    As for the other areas: You can say that but it still looks like (and is a form of) plastic. Also, after having owned my Jeep for a while and taken it on longer trips, the door sill or other areas might FEEL soft, but it isn't (and the armrest is too low, or the door sill is too high, there's no balance for resting your arm ergonomically - but that's another story for another day). The fake leather or whatever that wraps the dash, kick panels, and other areas on my 300M like the glovebox still looks better than that "Soft touch" plastic.

16. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Plastic & cheap is Chevy's forte.

ramajama likes this.
  17. MPE426HEMI

Yup, the leafspring trucks are known as jackrabbits on that highway.

18. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

All that fancy drivetrain(on the Raptor), then put it through leaf springs... Have had plenty of debates about multi-link compared to leaf spring.. I always end the debate with .."well if you can safely follow me down the winter roads without washing sideways off the trail then I'll say those leafs are ok" till then....NOT

19. MPE426HEMI

Lots of people saying how the Ram trucks just pass them by on that highway. All the while they are busy trying to keep the rear end of their trucks behind them.

20. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

I'm not sure I'd consider the ZR2 "established" yet. By the time JT actually comes out it may or may not have reached that status. I suspect that given the Jeep heritage the JT will be the defacto standard to beat in peoples minds. If it isn't better off-road, Jeep will have a problem.

dmcdonald likes this.