Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ram 2500 Power Wagon Takes #1 Spot(vs. Raptor and Colorado ZR2)

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by BEEAH, Aug 7, 2017.

1. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Agree with the button blank thing. I think the main complain with the Colorado, is that the finish on the plastic makes it appear very cheap and the gauges look like they might be from the 83 Dodge. A little style in the instrument panel would have helped a lot.

Mr. Fusion likes this.
  2. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Yes, absolutely. I'm glad someone else seems to understand that. I get tired of pointing out that competing vehicles are good and then getting attacked and told "Well if you like it so much go buy one instead of posting about it." It's not constructive to cover our ears and pretend that all FCA vehicles are superior to their competitors when in most cases they actually aren't.

GasAxe, tlc, Erik Latranyi and 3 others like this.
  3. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Thank you for sharing @BEEAH

Motor Trend reads more like a Condé Nast travel magazine than an auto enthusiast publication. I skipped the first several pages and found all the info I was looking for in the very last couple paragraphs.

Raptor looks impressive, but I've never been fully convinced. It seems like the perfect truck for people with more money than places to take it offroad.

I wonder if the Chevy I-6 diesel would have been a better match for the Colorado.

Kudos to Ram.

Dave Z likes this.
  4. Mr. Fusion

Level 2 Supporter

Yes! It may sound crazy, but those boring, old-fashioned green gauges would give me serious pause on buying a Colorado if I were in the market (and no, I would not dismiss a GM vehicle out of hand). Too bad there is not a ZR2 version of the Canyon... (Is there?)

5. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

IMG_3222.jpg

Ahhhh! And that's how it's done! All 7000 Lbs of it!

danbek, ramajama, GasAxe and 2 others like this.
  6. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

MPE426HEMI and wilbur like this.
  7. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

The Ram Rally team did very well ... only damage was the front bumper. Very impressive what a stock vehicle can do. My 2014 Ram 2500 6.4 is stock but everyone thinks it has a 3" lift. When I park next to brands F and C that have a level kit or lift kit, they are at the same height of mine. Every year of Dodge/Ram trucks I have owned have ALWAYS been better for my life style in stock form then any brand F or C, so why sink money into a vehicle to make it capable when you can buy already ... ready. The Colorado is nice and capable but to small... the raptor is as seen not good at everything, not suitable for most things but fills the ego gap for some. Ram has a lot of good going for the person that wants a truck for everything... damm maybe I should be selling trucks lol...:rolleyes:

ramajama, wtxiceman, ScramFan and 2 others like this.
  8. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Ram trucks do the truck things best. My opinion and based on experience. The raptor that sits in the parking lot here is for exactly what Shane mentioned.

I do understand you need to keep an eye on your competitors, but the Powerwagon has no equal, and it can do what the raptor does, although maybe not as well, but the raptor really doesn't come close to the Powerwagon in other truck areas.

And as an owner of a V10 magnum, trucks aren't made to compete with the Viper, so no my V10 doesn't win many races, but it has worked a hard life for 189000 miles and still pulls like it is 1999 all over again. Sure a Hemi will toast it from stop light to stop light, but from point A to B towing a trailer, well you can really tell what motor was designed specifically to tow and nothing else.

Just like that marvelous 6.4l Hemi in the Powerwagon. Sure it can't flat out beat the raptor, but it has a sweet spot for doing truck stuff the raptor doesn't.

Now when someone pulls up in their SRT challenger or durango or charger of course it is going to beat that 6.4 truck motor...they are designed for different purposes.

The Powerwagon is built for truck stuff. The raptor not so much, and the chevy is smaller than both. But, fortunately everyone has different tastes...so each has a place.

The Rebel really hit the mark with guys who aren't loyal and with the custom guys.

I am so excited for the next go of Rebel Rams.

The Powerwagon just is hands down my favorite truck of all time. It is the only thing I see as a proper replacement for my Ram.

The Ram Box is such a useful option for this truck. I can't wait to see what they do to make it better and hope the Mopar accessories they showed with the Concept Macho Powerwagon soon come to the store and someone makes them for my old Dodge.

I haven't much use for a smaller truck, but I sure hope this new Jeep truck carries on the Powerwagons accomplishments.

9. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Eat your heart out Demon!

10. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Yup, saw another video today about the Bronco. Its in its third design phase and they have it designed very closely to the JKU and have taken a lot of inspiration from the Troller. Which is what I said they should do from the get go. BTW, Powered by an ecoBust V6. So it'll have a little oneupsmanship at least.
    Furd says that it should be equal to the Wrangler in everything except rock crawling. So, Wrangler need not worry too much and it will keep the King of the Trail cred and the Bronco will just be a wannabe. Jeep should dodge a bullet on the Bronco. The Defender is the next contender to be unveiled, it'll probably be hella good off road but fall a bit short in the hard core arena, like the Bronco.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  11. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Yup my wife's best friend's hubby has one....its bits are all junk son. All about taste.

Lets stack up the fit and finish of the JT vs the Chevy Colorado. (No offense to the great state of Colorado) Can't wait to see the off road comparisons.

#51 ramajama, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  12. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

When I came over from Furd to RAM, I was blown away by the ride quality of the RAM. The only time one of my Furds came close was when I put air bags on the back of my 06 F150 and kept about 10lbs of air in them. It calmed the rear end down, but nothing like the coils. I dont mind losing a bit of "truckability" in favor of the great ride.

13. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

YEEEEEE HAAAAW!

C5A0BF34-8BE1-404B-8EDD-80080486C170.JPG

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

#53 ramajama, Aug 10, 2017
  14. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Does anyone realize what it takes to lift a 7000lb truck in the air... this is an impressive picture, wonder how many times it took to get that picture?

Devildodge, ScramFan and MPE426HEMI like this.
  15. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

That was my earlier point Shane. It's Impressive!

Shane Estabrooks and Devildodge like this.
  16. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

I've seen the running footage from that photo shoot somewhere on YouTube. And believe me they are driving the bawlz off of that Power Wagon in parts of it ...it is really impressive.

*edit* I found it.

View: https://youtu.be/EpgOznHDBQE

#56 ramajama, Aug 10, 2017
  17. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

That is what a truck does. No other factory Pickup can do what you saw in that video.

Once I fix my 99, this will be my next truck. Only got to decide if red green or blue.

18. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I wouldn't trust those Goodyear Duratrac tires in Moab or Death Valley. While it is a comfortable, capable all-terrain tire, especially in ice and snow, it has notoriously weak sidewalls that puncture easily in rocky terrain. A vehicle the size and weight of Power Wagon should easily handle stiff offroad tires like General Grabbers.

Nice truck, though. It is no less spectacular than watching a whale breach!

ramajama likes this.